• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500c 20ga youth and 6-position stock Question

Crappiepro

.270 WIN
I got a 500c 20ga youth with factory butt stock. My grandson is wanting the tacital style 6-position butt stock. He thinks its "Cool" and I'm all for that if it gets and keeps him shooting and interested.
My question is how much if any recoil will that 6-position stock have over the factory synthetic stock thats on it now.
I have one on a 12ga and it's a bear to shoot with all the recoil it produces. The gun he's using will be a turkey gun and we'll be shooting the 3" shells. I was just wanting to know if it's gonna change the gun and make it kick to much.

One factor that I can see as a potential issue is that the 6-position stock, even when fully collapsed, will likely have a longer length of pull than the 12" L.O.P. youth stock he's currently using. Most of them start at around 13"-13.5". Depending on his reach this could make his stance awkward and uncomfortable which might make controlling recoil via shooting stance a bit more difficult. If the added length isn't an issue then another factor to get used to would be the difference in comb height. Most 6-position stocks angle downward and can make acquiring the proper sight picture difficult. Of course, this can be fixed with the use of drop spacers. Manipulating Mossberg's action release lever around a pistol grip can take some getting used to as well. I have shot standard and pistol gripped stocks extensively and aside from models with "recoil reduction" features, the style or shape of the stock doesn't make a whole lot of difference in felt recoil. Having full mechanical control over the weapon will go a long way no matter what stock he uses. That and a good recoil pad never hurts... :D

Thanks for the reply.
I think he'll have no problems with the LOP. He's kinda tall but thin. I'll have to get one and try it and see how he does. He wants to be the "Black OP'S Ghost of turkey hunting" I guess LOL, but if it's gonna get him shooting more we'll see how it goes.

Back