• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500E .410 for grouse?

Gunner

.270 WIN
After being told by a coworker that the .410 wouldn't work for grouse...I decided to put it to the test...using 2 3/4" winchester #6 shot....
So what do you think? is the .410 to light for grouse or was the little 500E up to the task...

I don't doubt it wil work but you better be on your game. Over my lifetime I've missed more grouse than I have hit using both 12 and 20 gauges and I considdered my self to be a good wingshot.

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

After hunting Ohio grouse in some pretty gnarly and uneven woodlands I don't think I got many chances for second shots. So my answer is "yes" but I would have to be pretty good at quick shots! I'd put money on the idea that you were successful!

As the other guys have said, 410 will work for grouse and other small game like rabbits and squirrels and the likes.

The 410's effective range is reduced and not as many pellets covering the same space if shooting it side by side to a larger caliber/gauge.

I learned how to hunt with 410 and still like a 410, you just have to know its' limitations. And try to get a close and good shot.

I suppose the condensed version of my answer is that 410 will do the job, but a bigger shell (shotgun gauge) will do the job better by allowing a farther range and better covered pattern area.

Many people buy their children a .410 due to the low, if any, recoil.
They fail to realize that the gun is actually more of an expert gun than a novice gun.
As others have said the lack of pellets in the shells means that you must be a crack shot for wing shooting.

Will the .410 take down a Grouse? ABSOLUTELY!
Will it be an easy hunt? NOPE!

I have considered using my 500E to hunt Pheasant.
But since I really like to eat them, I have not done so yet...LOL!

LTB45 said:
They fail to realize that the gun is actually more of an expert gun than a novice gun.

Or some buy their children 410's so they can learn to be expert hunters :mrgreen:

You gotta learn fast how to stalk and be quiet and get as close as possible. If you can hunt with a .410, you can hunt with anything :cool:

John A. said:
LTB45 said:

Or some buy their children 410's so they can learn to be expert hunters :mrgreen:
LOL!
I know that this was spoken in jest, but to be clear to anyone that may read this and think that a .410 is a good idea to make your child a better hunter. Let me just add that if you want a child or even and adult to get the shooting "BUG" then they need to hit what they are aiming for. Shooting a .410 at a moving target may discourage a novice shooter from continuing the sport.

Starting off shooting stationary targets with a .410 would be and is a fantastic way to get them into it. Moving targets can come later on.

I'm kinda somewhere in between a novice and an expert, and yes I was successful with the .410 on grouse.

Actually I just got back from a full week hunting. My days were spent deer hunting in the AM/PM and grouse hunting during the afternoons. Saw lots of does...no bucks, so I was skunked on the deer, grouse on the other hand were plentiful. Quail too...didn't hunt them cause they were right in camp with us...I got a kick out of just watching them...

Back