• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

535 for deer hunting?

JP68

.22LR
Hi, just shopping for a Mossberg...... We go deer- hunting with shotguns for a week in November, time to get my own. I want a shotgun that will do the job there, everything within 75 meters, also shoot some clay and targets for fun. "home defence" is not a task, I live in rural Canada, nothing to defend myself from, we live with Blackbears but they take off when you yell at them.... so no tactical super short 12 gauge pistol grip hammer needed :) My buddies use mostly Mossberg or Remington , out of the box guns with rifled slugs, not to expensive but reliable. Was looking for a good deal on a 500, and ran into a 535 here at Canadian Tire. Camo- finish, 22 inch barrel, chokes, tapped and drilled for my red dot, all for around $350 brand new. Can I go wrong?
Thanks!

I would say you can't go wrong. It will do anything a 500 will do and them some. Only difference is you have a 1/2" longer pull to cycle it.

If you swap out the magazine tubes you can even use 500 barrels on it, I do this with my 835.

Thanks.......
Oh, time for a rant. Went to a big (!) hunting/fishing/outdoors outfitter last weekend, opened new in my area to compete with the "pro"-one we all know. Anyhow, selection was good, staff very friendly. This guy showed me some shotguns, including a Mossberg 535 two barrel package. I was not aware of the 535, just knew the 500. He said the 535 is a 500, they just call it 535 because it's in a multi-barrel package. Well, this seemed wrong to me, and yes, obviously it is wrong. He also said he would not get a 20 gauge because you can't exchange barrels on them. ?
Just had to get rid of this, was bugging me......

The term "Pro" only means one is paid, it really has nothing to do with ones skill......per my experience.

It is always good to do your homework if you want to get your moneys worth. There are subtle but distinct differences between the 500 and the 535. The biggest being the extended receiver, bolt and chamber allowing it to shoot the longer 3.5" shell.

I have three barrels for my 500 in 20G....the guy is a tool and probably selling a lot of people something they don't really want but are to naive to know at the time.

I'm glad you found us her at MO, if you have any questions regarding any Mossberg, or pretty much anything let is know, I'm sure there is someone here that knows about it.

You'll like the 535! Your in good company here also. This has been a great forum for me so far!
Welcome to MossbergOwners!!

The 535, is a very capable gun. I have one, and interchange barrels depending on what in shooting that day. 18.5" or 24" Rifled. I got the special Gander Mtn exclusive Tactical which came with ghost rings and 18" barrel. It's a beast of a gun and almost any 500 accessory will work with it. If you have ANY questions, let me know.

Sent from HTC One (M8)

How exactly can I tell the difference between a 535 and a 500 with taking them in my hand? They look identiocal........ The chamber-size is nothing I can determine in a store.... Just found another one in a different store, just marked as "Mossberg", camo-finish as well, looks pretty uch the same then the 535 I mentioned, just a 24 inch barrel and a bit more expensive (still a good deal).
Thanks!

Will pick up that 535 tomorrow, went on sale yesterday, now $299. One more question, its labeled as a turkey-gun, comes only with one choke. I assume its a full choke, the sales people there don't know a lot about guns and couldn't tell me. So, to shoot slugs, I should get a different choke, right?
Happy about that deal, sometimes luck is on you side!

Picked it up this morning. Choke was a XXfull, so I bought a IC accu choke for the gun to shoot slugs. Will take it apart for a clean, mount my RedDot and then post a picture......

Pretty happy, my second Mossberg (owned a 590A1 before), but the first one I will actually use for hunting. The 590 was awesome, but not really what I needed....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Improved would be my choice for slugs. You can play with a rifled tube as well but I personally had mixed results.

Congratulations on the shotgun. I have gotten years of use out of my 500.

Nice looking boomstick!!

Congrats on your new Mossy,good lookin' shotty. Thanks for the pic.:)

Back