• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

535 turkey and field combo NEED HELP

mischief2145

Copper BB
hello all new here, just got a 535 turkey and field combo gifted to me, was wondering if i could fire rifled slugs out of field barrel, friend gave me a box of remington sluggers, rifled slugs for smooth bore guns.just dont wanna do any damage to my new piece.....thank you all for your time

Correct about the chokes being the main deciding factor as to whether or not you can shoot slugs.

Yep, should be able to go ahead, just dont wanna get into full chokes and rifled slugs. Cylinder bore and Improved or IC youre gonna be just fine!

Howdy mischief2145, how'd it turn out for you?

gmaster456 said:
Even with a full choke you shouldn't have any problem.

I've done it before. Not my intent but it happened. Nothing bad happened, nothing blew up and we all lived to tell about it. I would not recommend it as I do not know if it would create extra stress over a long term.

You can shoot pretty much any slug out of any barrel as long as you have the correct choke.

Sabots will shoot just fine out of a smoothbore but without the rifling to keep them stabilized will show less than desirable performance (at a pretty significant cost per round). A fully rifled barrel will help get the best results with these.

Rifled slugs will shoot just fine out a rifled barrel but may cause leading. Don't worry about the direction of the rifling groves on the slug itself, those are there to allow the slug to pass through various choke sizes and do not impart spin on the slug. Thay also work fine out of a smoothbore but you may not get performance at longer ranges like you would with a rifled barrel shooting sabot's

Back