• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 Shockwave, 1st impressions

ahpd1992

Copper BB
Sorry no photos, but I picked up my shockwave marine coat yesterday and took it straight to the range. Wow is this thing fun. I was suspect about the grip angle, but it worked as advertised. Mostly was shooting #6 shot, which was a breeze. A few rounds of OO buckshot had more recoil, but not much more. I have to say this "firearm" is very well designed. I'll get pictures when I can, but if your wondering about this particular model I give it a thumbs up!

IMG_20170507_112219.jpg

Here it is, I just had to get the time to take a quick pic. The 870 I had put a regular pistol grip on was my only experience with a PGO. I found the recoil too punishing so I put the stock back on and wrote off PG shotguns as something that looks real cool, but not for me. What a difference changing the grip angle made. I found shooting it at mid ribcage level gave me the best results.

I have been playing with my Shockwave to the point my wife may be jealous. I've fired about 40 rounds and have got my aim down pretty good. Upgrade parts are on order, and I am still looking for something else to do to it....but "less is more" as old bikers would say. One thing I am most thankful for is Mossberg's decision to leave the receiver alone. I like the plain sides of the receiver. It saved Mossberg work, therefore saving us money, and it makes for a much more attractive weapon. I don't like silly names rolled into the sides of guns.

I've got a problem. After mounting my XS Big Dot, I can't get any sleep. The sucker is so bright at night that it lights up the bedroom. It's like trying to sleep at noon with the windows open. I reckon I'll need to sleep with my sunglasses on. :cool:

I've got a problem. After mounting my XS Big Dot, I can't get any sleep. The sucker is so bright at night that it lights up the bedroom. It's like trying to sleep at noon with the windows open. I reckon I'll need to sleep with my sunglasses on. :cool:

Just throw a baseball cap over it [emoji2]

"The more things are forbidden, the more popular they become." ~ Mark Twain

I hope no one will take me too serious in my attempt at humor. I get great comfort opening my eyes at night and seeing the glow of the sights on my Glock and Shockwave.
The XS Big Dot is a great sight, and, yes it is very bright. I love it.

If I were to change to pistol grip from the birds head that came stock, to the Blackhawk Gen III Breaching grip would that make the gun illegal? Mind you the OAL actually is longer than stock at 27" with it on.
upload_2017-6-27_20-45-14.png

It looks like it would fit the definition of being over the 26" limit but it may be illegal to remove the factory grip or the replacement grip might not be acceptable. The final decision is up to the BATF. They are the ones who approved the Shockwave and who have to make the final decision.

Here is part of the BATFE letter to Mossberg:
upload_2017-6-28_8-4-23.png
Pay close attention to the last sentence. That allows the BATFE to be as nice or nasty as they choose.

Back