• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 Shockwave, 1st impressions

First post and first impression. But first...

I'd like to say thank you to all of you posting in this Shockwave sub-section. While thinking on whether I really needed one of these Shockwave firearms, I read every single post in this section.
Interesting reading and often fun as well. So, thanks for the schoolin' - and entertainment!

I decided that I didn't really need a Shockwave. I already have a 590A1 after all.
But, I wanted a Shockwave.
I mean, what the heck... why should I pass up on this much fun?

So, I called my LGS and asked about them getting one in for me. Took 'em a few days, but no problem.
Picked her up a couple days ago. Would have posted sooner, but it took awhile to get approval to join here.

I like it! The Shockwave that it. Sexy little thing.
Have a few minor modifications that i want to do. Ordered the Talon rubberized style grip tape, it is in the mail now.
Will probably get an XS Big Dot for the front sight. Just because.
And will pick up a Vang Comp (velcro) sidesaddle. To match what I have on my 590A1.
Oh, and the Vang Comp metal safety. Already have plenty of slings should I decide to ever use one.

Haven't had a change to run it yet. Will soon, and I am going to a 4 day gun (pistol) class up in Alabama in early November. I will be taking it there so that I can really put it through the paces.

All in all, for not having shot it yet, I'm quite pleased. Mossberg 590 quality and from the countless videos that I have watched, it looks to be a blast to shoot.

Thanks again for ALL the information here. - Got the Talon rubberized grip idea here. Some nice scabbard info here as well. May have to pick one up for ... okay, I'll admit it, just 'cuz they are kinda cool. :cool:

Here is the new kid hanging out with her big brother.
What's not to love!

i.php

First of all, welcome to the forum, and thanks for the reminder of my Granddad. He was CaptBill.
I like your "family photo". I know you will enjoy your trip to Alabama, and I suspect your Shockwave will be warmly received by all participants.
You better take some extra ammo (cheap stuff) for those who will want to shoot it. Have fun.

First post and first impression. But first...

I'd like to say thank you to all of you posting in this Shockwave sub-section. While thinking on whether I really needed one of these Shockwave firearms, I read every single post in this section.
Interesting reading and often fun as well. So, thanks for the schoolin' - and entertainment!

I decided that I didn't really need a Shockwave. I already have a 590A1 after all.
But, I wanted a Shockwave.
I mean, what the heck... why should I pass up on this much fun?

So, I called my LGS and asked about them getting one in for me. Took 'em a few days, but no problem.
Picked her up a couple days ago. Would have posted sooner, but it took awhile to get approval to join here.

I like it! The Shockwave that it. Sexy little thing.
Have a few minor modifications that i want to do. Ordered the Talon rubberized style grip tape, it is in the mail now.
Will probably get an XS Big Dot for the front sight. Just because.
And will pick up a Vang Comp (velcro) sidesaddle. To match what I have on my 590A1.
Oh, and the Vang Comp metal safety. Already have plenty of slings should I decide to ever use one.

Haven't had a change to run it yet. Will soon, and I am going to a 4 day gun (pistol) class up in Alabama in early November. I will be taking it there so that I can really put it through the paces.

All in all, for not having shot it yet, I'm quite pleased. Mossberg 590 quality and from the countless videos that I have watched, it looks to be a blast to shoot.

Thanks again for ALL the information here. - Got the Talon rubberized grip idea here. Some nice scabbard info here as well. May have to pick one up for ... okay, I'll admit it, just 'cuz they are kinda cool. :cool:

Here is the new kid hanging out with her big brother.
What's not to love!

i.php
Amazing how small the Shockwave is compared to a full size 590.

I had a chance to fire the Shockwave with the heat shield today. The heat shield did not move at all. I fired 15 rounds of slugs and then 5 rounds of Federal 4 Buck (27 pellets) within just a few minutes. Again, the heat shield did not move. Not even a little bit. I used a coating of blue loktite under the front mounting band of the heat shield and tightened the mounting screws very tightly. I did not fire the gun without the loktite but I just went ahead and coated the mounting band. It looks like I won't need to drill and tap the barrel which I only would do if absolutely needed. The shield was just a little warm after the 20 rounds and the barrel was hot. I had fired a few rounds of 00 buck and 4 buck just before when I patterned the rounds. I'll post some photos in a day or so.
Just kind of a silly question, the front clamp "looks" like the rear of the clamp could be cut off between the mounting screws and still leave enough of the clamp to be drilled for a rear screw. Wondering if this might make removing the barrel easier?? Just a thought, going to order the Mossberg heatshield today. Thanks for all the info you posted, it'll come in handy when I break out the evil Dremel tool!!!

I left both of the screws in place. I did have to round ff the rear of the clamp to work well with the mag cap when I remove the barrel. I do believe that you could remove the rear screw hole and just use the front screw to hold the heat shield in place. I just chose the use both screws. It is also possible to drill and tap the barrel for mounting screws and remove the bottom of the clamp entirely (I think Rico did this). Just a note: I had to cut the heat shield to clear the front Big Dot sight that I had previously installed on the barrel. You can mount the Big Dot sight (or any other sight) directly on the heat shield if you have not yet changed the sight; just plug the hole from the factory sight before you install the heat shield. I also used Permatex blue gel thread locker under the clamp to help hold the heat shield in place.

Yes. Mossberg was the only place I found that had the 16335P heavy barrel heat shield and they had the best price. Very fast shipping. They had 74 in stock after I ordered mine last week.
I just ordered the 590 A1 shield from Mossberg customer service, you got a bargain!! The price including S/H was $50.95...Going to be VERY careful with the Dremel tool !

I left both of the screws in place. I did have to round ff the rear of the clamp to work well with the mag cap when I remove the barrel. I do believe that you could remove the rear screw hole and just use the front screw to hold the heat shield in place. I just chose the use both screws. It is also possible to drill and tap the barrel for mounting screws and remove the bottom of the clamp entirely (I think Rico did this). Just a note: I had to cut the heat shield to clear the front Big Dot sight that I had previously installed on the barrel. You can mount the Big Dot sight (or any other sight) directly on the heat shield if you have not yet changed the sight; just plug the hole from the factory sight before you install the heat shield. I also used Permatex blue gel thread locker under the clamp to help hold the heat shield in place.
Thanks! Just ordered the shield from Mossberg c/s. Something else to play with on a cold day...Won't have to do anything for the front sight, I've got a Streamlight laser/light mounted on the top rail so I can't see the sight anyway (getting to old for sights anyway!).

I mounted my laser/light on a qd mount so I could get rid of it if it fails and then I have the Big Dot sight to use.

Just kind of a silly question, the front clamp "looks" like the rear of the clamp could be cut off between the mounting screws and still leave enough of the clamp to be drilled for a rear screw. Wondering if this might make removing the barrel easier?? Just a thought, going to order the Mossberg heatshield today. Thanks for all the info you posted, it'll come in handy when I break out the evil Dremel tool!!!

Keep us posted with your progress.

Keep us posted with your progress.
I used a Dremel to cut off the rear of the clamp. I basically cut up thru the rear screw hole then cut across to the screw hole, then just rounded the edges. I did drill another hole in the clamp for the rear screw, here's where it got kind of tricky... I installed the front screw then I had to line up the locking nut with a flat side straight up and down. The rear locking nut was place right up against the front nut and used to mark the new rear hole. I drilled the front hole out one size larger and the rear hole the same as the front, gives a bit of "wiggle" room. The nuts fit right against each other which should prevent them from loosening. I can remove the barrel just by loosening the mag cap and sliding it straight off the mag tube. Not perfect since the mag cap doesn't drop off until you slide the bbl. out about 1/4". Didn't use any loc-tite putting this together, about the only thing that might take the heat of the bbl. would be the red loc-tite. The blue stuff doesn't take much heat to loosen it. Plus I figured I just might need to remove the heat shield every once in awhile to clean and oil the outside of the barrel. I ran about 100 rds. of everything from birdshot to slugs thru it and everything is staying tight with no slippage of the heat shield. I just ordered a LaserMax Spartan green laser/light combo so I can put the red laser/light combo back on my semi-auto shtf 12ga. I really suck at posting pictures... I'm still using a "flip phone"...

I mounted my laser/light on a qd mount so I could get rid of it if it fails and then I have the Big Dot sight to use.
I just ordered a Lasermax Spartan green laser/light combo, it will have a quick release mounted on it so I might just install a big dot. Just thinking I might just JB Weld the sight onto the heat shield. I've got enough "tools" laying around that I could drill and tap the heat shield to take the replacement bead that comes with the big dot sight instead of cutting a slot in the shield...

Last edited:
I like the marinekote. I think I need another shockwave in marinekote. My wife will disown me if I buy another shotgun lol.

Good Idea. I will try that angle lol.
Actually she lets me buy whatever I want as long as the dough comes in lol

Good Idea. I will try that angle lol.
Actually she lets me buy whatever I want as long as the dough comes in lol

My wife doesn't work, so she doesn't care too much what I buy. And I spoil her too. While many people think a big house and expensive car will make them happy, we've found the opposite to be true. We have a modest house, and pay cash for everything. So we can buy all the toys we want, and go on several vacations each year. That's a happy marriage.

My wife doesn't work, so she doesn't care too much what I buy. And I spoil her too. While many people think a big house and expensive car will make them happy, we've found the opposite to be true. We have a modest house, and pay cash for everything. So we can buy all the toys we want, and go on several vacations each year. That's a happy marriage.

Very similar. We are old school. My wife stopped working in 91 when our first child was born. Never worked since, but we know it's not all about gathering money and trying to look wealthy. Three kids, and no kid problems ever. As far as I'm concerned, she worked harder than my working , helping them kids get through all of their schooling with honors. Then college. Basic middle class home, no frills and good ethics, I hope.

Back