• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 SPX/930 SPX - General Info and Question about Side Saddle Compatibility

Hey, y'all. First-timer over here. Big thanks to this community for providing answers to a lot of questions I had after I purchased my first weapon (930 SPX) about 5 weeks ago.

Overall I'm happy with the 930 SPX, but it has some of the well-known issues y'all probably know all about. I'm still breaking it in and I have some of the Or3gun products on the way, so I'm optimistic. Still, I'm going to get a pump action for their known reliability during home defense

I purchased a Mesa Tactical side saddle (https://www.mesatactical.com/products/sureshell-aluminum-carrier-for-moss-930-6-shell-12-ga.html) when I got the 930. As many know, the 930 won't function if the side saddle's chicago screws are too tight (the first issue that led me to this forum), but when installed correctly they'll also loosen while at the range. I've seen some folks use locktite to fix the loosening problem, but I've decided to switch to a velcro shell holder to remove this issue from the equation entirely. One less thing to worry about on the 930 sounds good.

So, I just bought a 590 SPX that is on its way to an FFL. Will that Mesa Tactical side saddle I currently have on the 930 somehow fit on the 590? If so, will it cause any issues like those I ran into with the 930? The 590 version does seem a bit different. Just wanting to put it to some use if it won't interfere with the 590. https://www.mesatactical.com/produc...or-moss-500-590-and-mav-88-6-shell-20-ga.html

Also, I'm not finding many threads about the 590 SPX, only the 590A1 SPX or the 590. I'm wondering if there's any overlap of information about those other models that I can generally rely on when looking for answers to future questions about the 590 SPX.

Any help is appreciated!

mossberg changes their model numbers like some people change their socks. I hope you find your answers, but I don't even try to keep up with every little model number.

Far as I know, the 590/500 side saddle should work on the gun. I think the major difference with the spx is the flex stock.

The Mesa Side Saddle for the 930 will not work on the 590. The 930 version replaces the 2 trigger housing pins with Chicago screws that the Saddle mounts too. The 500/590 version replaces the one trigger pin and the screw for the ejector is replaced as well with a new screw and bushing type assembly. If you tighten down the Chicago screw that replaces the trigger pin, the action will be difficult to operate just like on the 930.

Back