• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 enhanced safety installation

DJ-MB

Copper BB
I have a brand new 590A1 that I want to install an enhanced safety onto however before I do I need to confirm some information. According to the installation instructions this will not work to replace a "steel" safety as the metal spacer between the safety button and the ball bearing will be needed. As far as I am aware current 590A1 models have an aluminum alloy safety rather than steel. Can anyone tell me with certainty whether a current 590A1 will accept the enhanced safety without any further modifications (adding a spacer) or not? Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't have a 590 so I don't know.

But, if the installation instructions says it won't work, I'm sure they have already found that out the hard way.

You could check your existing safety with a magnet. Just try not to get it too close to the screw that holds the safety in place. Just check the safety itself.

Thanks, I'm going to wait to disassemble until I can get a definitive answer from someone who's done the conversion. I am pretty confident that my safety is alloy and the instructions say that it won't work with a steel safety. What I am not so sure about is that the people that wrote the instructions really meant steel rather than just metal.

I changed out my OEM factory safety for an aluminum aftermarket safety. I’ve done this to all my Mossy’s. There is a thin spacer plate underneath my safety switch. I would assume yours has one as well.
Take yours off and see. It’s not hard. Just make sure you rack the slide back when you unscrew the safety fastener. You may want to replace the funky fastener with a low profile SHCS. Keep some downward pressure on the switch so that the spring does launch the ball detent actress the room. Blue loctite is also not a bad thing upon reinstallation.
E1715ACD-3975-4EEF-A86A-09D93E297213.jpeg

Thanks JMM14534, I also found a Youtube video that shows the disassembly of the 590A1 and it had the spring plate underneath it as well so now I am double sure that mine is the same. I wonder what model has a steel safety because all of the ones I have ever seen are either plastic (500 and below) or aluminum (590A1). Thanks again for your expeditious reply.

There is a chance that someone called aluminum "steel" in the instructions. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen metals mis-identified.

At the end of the day just make it yours. I’ve replaced all the OEM safeties on all of my Mossberg’s because I wanted something different or a little more functional. It’s not a must have but a “ hey I like this “.

Back