• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

6.5 creedmoor 25-06 .243???

Hey I'm looking for a well rounded low recoil rifle. I want something my wife could comfortably shoot a deer up to 200 yards while it isn't overkill for a coyote. I was thinking a 243 but there has to be better options out there now. I'm looking to stay around $500 for a ready to hunt rifle. Please let me know what you think.

Sent from my LGUS215 using Tapatalk

If you want long range and don't mind paying a bit for ammo go with the 6.5.

If you want mid range and readily available ammo go .243

I really don't know much about the 25-06.

All three should kill a deer within the ranges you mentioned.

Watch Savage for rebates. I bought an Axis in 6.5 for $150 last year ($250 with $100 rebate). Not going to find a better deal on a new gun

Certainly sound like 243 area to me. Don't have a 6.5 Creedmoor but have the 6.5x55. Also the 243 and the 25-06. I think throwing varmint's in there turned it to a 243. Not that the 6.5 CMor 25-06 wouldn't do the job on them but the 6.5x55 about the same, probably recoils abut like the 243 and the 25-06 about the same.25-06 has quite a bit more muzzle blast than the other choice's.

I also think the .243 and I’ll second watching for the Savage. They often have the packaged deals with a decent scope and if I’m remembering right, they bore sight all their scoped rifles at the factory.

Don't forget the 6.5 Grendel.its a sweet soft shooting round and has been known to take deer out to 300yrs.
You can build a 6.5 Grendel upper for you AR15. It's a great round.
I have a 6.5 CM as well awsome round and if you reload you will have a gun that will out shoot you .

Just wanted to update every one on this. I don't know when I'll be able to make this rifle purchases. Hoping soon tho. I just had a lovely pop up expense of a new a.c. for my home. A hot cranky one year old and a sweety 3 year old along with a wife that works a cool office job don't like this 90°+ weather. But hey there cool and happy now. I'm really torn between the 6.5 and the 243 tho. Thanks for your guys input. Hopping I can update in a month or two with a picture of rifle.

.243 FTW! I think ammo availability and price should be a deciding factor. Save your spare change and down the road get the 6.5 Creedmoor.

I've got a Patriot in 243 and would recommend it in a heart beat. I got it new with one of those unbelievably ugly plastic stock, $299. Got home and called Mossberg and ordered a wood stock right away, I think it was around $145. You can get the Patriot with a scope mounted for under $500. Very nice rifle and very accurate!

+1 for the .243. Its been a goto caliber for me for A very long time to a number of jobs very well. Fun to shoot for EVERYone, plenty of ammo in just about any location, plenty of woompow for almost any need. The .243 Patriot Mossberg is a great deal of gun for the money. I doubt youd regret that purchase.

Well guys I did it bought a newish rifle from a co-worker. isn't quite what I wanted but will have to do for now.

The only reason I own it now is because I only payed 400 for the rifle and scope along with about 15 hand loads and about 30 brass cases. The down side is its only a .223

I give you my Olive Oil...

The Ruger American Predator with a Bushnell 4.5-18x40 AR/.223 dropzone.

0bc7ec13818d77d1b6d5b328d0b12dea.jpg

Well guys I did it bought a newish rifle from a co-worker. isn't quite what I wanted but will have to do for now.

The only reason I own it now is because I only payed 400 for the rifle and scope along with about 15 hand loads and about 30 brass cases. The down side is its only a .223

I give you my Olive Oil...

The Ruger American Predator with a Bushnell 4.5-18x40 AR/.223 dropzone.

I was lookin over some posts and reread yours and your original purpose. Im going to tell ya there are quite a few deer and hogs have crossed our dinner table from "only a .223" . pick a good bullet, practice till its second nature and ya know your limits, hunt within those parameters be patient and surgical with the screaming mini and believe you will be very satisfied. 5 kids(4 girl) ALL succesful hunters started with a bargain basement HR .223 heavy barrel we bought many moons ago. Why ? Its uber heavy zero recoil its really safe and simple and accurate. A .223 pill through the blood pump is surely more deadly than a .300 win mag miss. Enjoy your new rifle, dont argue with the detractors or neigh sayors prove em wrong with a nice cube steak and gravy dinner.

Last edited:
I was lookin over some posts and reread yours and your original purpose. Im going to tell ya there are quite a few deer and hogs have crossed our dinner table from "only a .233" . pick a good bullet, practice till its second nature and ya know your limits, hunt within those parameters be patient and surgical with the screaming mini and believe you will be very satisfied. 5 kids(4 girl) ALL succesful hunters started with a bargain basement HR .223 heavy barrel we bought many moons ago. Why ? Its uber heavy zero recoil its really safe and simple and accurate. A .223 pill through the blood pump is surely more deadly than a .300 win mag miss. Enjoy your new rifle, dont argue with the detractors or neigh sayors prove em wrong with a nice cube steak and gravy dinner.
Well the Wife was going to use the gun for deer but she has recently inherited a Winchester model 70 in 270 (dont know what year it is going to guess the 70s) the rifle was her grandpas. He shot his first deer with it in 1965 the first year you could hunt them in kansas. Its a worn well used rifle spending most of its life in a truck for coyote and such. But she is wanting to use it in honor of her grandpa. So I suppose the 223 is mine. Witch I won't complain any.

Sent from my LM-X210 using Tapatalk

Well the Wife was going to use the gun for deer but she has recently inherited a Winchester model 70 in 270 (dont know what year it is going to guess the 70s) the rifle was her grandpas. He shot his first deer with it in 1965 the first year you could hunt them in kansas. Its a worn well used rifle spending most of its life in a truck for coyote and such. But she is wanting to use it in honor of her grandpa. So I suppose the 223 is mine. Witch I won't complain any.

Sent from my LM-X210 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a win win for the both of you. Good hunting to you.

Back