• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

6.5 Grendel

dieselmudder

.30-06
Elite Member
"Philanthropist"
Tell me what you guys think, opinions, advice, any other info. Im thinking about venturing down this path, with a custom build, and reloading. Ive got an AR stripped lower, was going to build a standard .223 off of, but this tickled my interest.

Look into the .375 Reaper cartridge. Mean little bugger. Similar to a .300 Blackout's bigger meaner brother. Uses cut down .308 brass, and common .375 projectiles. Bullet weights between 160 grains all the way up to 400 grains. Can easily hit man sized targets out to 600, and the owner of the company just did a 1000 yard class with a bolt gun in .375 Reaper. I like the fact that it used common materials for reloading, so no matter what, I'll always be able to get components. a couple of companies are getting ready to release commercially loaded ammo for it as well.

https://www.whiskey3precisionsystems.com/

Don't want to get to wild cat. Its a hunting based build. Factory ammo available if need be.

Wikipedia has a good summary of this round, with links to other, related rounds. Just search the round you have interest in...

Did that last night, was just hoping to get some firsthand info, or see if anyone had built one yet

I have never built a Grendel mostly due to the fact that I wouldn't be able to use it to its' potential at range.

So, I opted to do the 6.8, which is entirely different.

I can remember when Alexander Arms chose to release the Grendel to the public domain and not seek royalties or anything.

Really cool of him.

I can remember when Alexander Arms chose to release the Grendel to the public domain and not seek royalties or anything.

According to Wikipedia, in order to get SAAMI certification for the round (and commercial acceptance) it had to be "public domain". Caveat being that Wikipedia is user-submitted and user-edited so you could take this with a grain of salt, or more specifically, gunpowder... ;)

DO IT, dont own but ballistically it is a very sweet round on paper....hear all good no bad.....your a reloader so no issues for you

Midway even had AR Stoner barrels on sale this week. H-bar profile. Not sure I trust the brand though. Think I'll hold out for something a little more reputable

Haven't tried them myself, but a couple folks I know took a chance on those Stoner barrels and ended up regretting it...

The AR Stoner BCG I bought was the worst gun part I have ever bought for any firearm ever , while we are at it don't do Ptac either next worse ever to pass through my hands

Yeah, ive seen some of that, and don't think ill be getting any Stoner branded parts. On subject of parts quality, i took the trigger and hammer from the RRA LPK kit for my curent build out to do some polish work, while i wait to aquire other parts. Pretty disappointed in the finish of the machined engagement surfaces. lots of tool marks, and even a nasty burr on the hammer. I think it was considerably worse than my Spikes LPK. I thought i was doing the right thing by spending a little more money on the Rock River stuff. They polished up pretty good though.

That was my experience with the Rock River trigger group as well.

The surfaces were so rough it felt like there was gravel in the trigger. It polished up ok, but I stick with Spikes for a simple combat trigger...

Back