• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

715T Flash Hiders/Suppressor/Barrel Threading

Re: Mossberg 715T Flash Hiders/Barrel Threading

So no need to worry about twisting the breech inside the receiver?

Re: fake suppressor home made

Rkillion said:
I am working on a fake suppressor, and am trying to figure out how to make the attachment and ensure that the round comes through cleanly. I was thinking I could fill the tube with expansion foam and then shoot a round through the foam... However I think that would effectively be a real suppressor. I was also thinking that could be how I attach it to the barrel, but idk yet. Any ideas?

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 921(24)

The terms “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Basically,

You need to be able to prove that whatever you make IN ABSOLUTELY NO QUANTIFIABLE WAY reduces the audible output of your firearm. Otherwise, you've made an actual suppressor and are in violation of federal law.

It's just not worth risking a felony charge when you can pick up a pre-fab'd fake can for as low as $30...

Tactical Innovations: FAKE SUPPRESSORS

Companies like this have done their homework and can support their findings with applicable research in court, should the need arise. If you make one on your own, you're on your own...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

The terms “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Basically,

You need to be able to prove that whatever you make IN ABSOLUTELY NO QUANTIFIABLE WAY reduces the audible output of your firearm. Otherwise, you've made an actual suppressor and are in violation of federal law.

It's just not worth risking a felony charge when you can pick up a pre-fab'd fake can for as low as $30...

Companies like this have done their homework and can support their findings with applicable research in court, should the need arise. If you make one on your own, you're on your own...

^^^^^^^ good advice

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

Basically,

I agree with LES but one way you could do it is make it so that your muzzle is at the end of the "fake suppressor" versus attaching the device to the front of the muzzle. I would still just go with what LES posted to play it safe and keep yourself out of Fed Pen :)

The tension on the barrel/receiver should be much greater than the tension on the flash hider. As long as the barrel is supported you should be goor to go. A barrel block for the vise would be ideal, but I definitely wouldn't clamp the bare barrel in the vise...

Ok, had an issue, the barrel came loose from the receiver... I guess mine is solid. Oh well going to find a mil style suppressor. The kind with the ring that fits over the birdcage.

But I got lucky and I was able to put the barrel back into place.

Yes it is...

As I write this I am out in my field shooting and I have noticed one thing. As the round exits the barell it scrapes the compensator at the end. I think a good solution is to bore it out a bit, make it more open face like an actual A2 compensator. What kind of bit should I use? I don't think carbide would even handle it.

Question: can I put a suppressor on a brand new flat top out of the box? Or does it need modification? And if it does need modification, what does it need? Thanks for any help!

SWATmedic1 said:
Question: can I put a suppressor on a brand new flat top out of the box? Or does it need modification? And if it does need modification, what does it need? Thanks for any help!

Welcome to the Forums, SWAT! Presuming you have followed all Legal Process' in obtaining and owning a suppressor, I believe you have to thread the barrel of the flat-top and even at that, I don't know the diameter of the barrel to know if it is thread-able.

There may be something over in the 715t sub-forum to help you out:

http://mossbergowners.com/viewforum.php?f=88

Rkillion said:
I am working on a fake suppressor, and am trying to figure out how to make the attachment and ensure that the round comes through cleanly. I was thinking I could fill the tube with expansion foam and then shoot a round through the foam... However I think that would effectively be a real suppressor. I was also thinking that could be how I attach it to the barrel, but idk yet. Any ideas?

Lazy Eye sniper gave good advice and the correct and proper wording of the law as well. It would be much more simple and safer to buy a pre-fabbed fake silencer.

Also, if you don't know how to attach it to the barrel, I would question how you're going to make any sort of muzzle device anyway.

I'm not trying to come across as smug, but maybe you should hold off on the fake silencer for now.

SWATmedic1 said:

1. The answer to your first question is probably if it has a threaded barrel and whether the A2 flash hider is permanently attached or not.

2. The answer to your second question is maybe, and it depends on the first answer

3. The answer to your third question (depending on the threading) may not may not be the same threading as any silencer known to man.

Odds are if they are using standard A2 flash hiders that it's the correct and universally accepted thread pitch for 22LR, but I don't know anyone that has put a silencer on one, so I would think that it would be alright, but I won't bet the farm on it unless I knew about the barrel threading/specs first.

John A. said:
Rkillion said:

Lazy Eye sniper gave good advice and the correct and proper wording of the law as well. It would be much more simple and safer to buy a pre-fabbed fake silencer.

Also, if you don't know how to attach it to the barrel, I would question how you're going to make any sort of muzzle device anyway.

I'm not trying to come across as smug, but maybe you should hold off on the fake silencer for now.

SWATmedic1 said:

1. The answer to your first question is probably if it has a threaded barrel and whether the A2 flash hider is permanently attached or not.

2. The answer to your second question is maybe, and it depends on the first answer

3. The answer to your third question (depending on the threading) may not may not be the same threading as any silencer known to man.

Odds are if they are using standard A2 flash hiders that it's the correct and universally accepted thread pitch for 22LR, but I don't know anyone that has put a silencer on one, so I would think that it would be alright, but I won't bet the farm on it unless I knew about the barrel threading/specs first.

The reason I'm having an issue is the compensator is fixed, not threaded. And I don't want to take it off and get it threaded,i don't have those tools, and I'm not a fan of sending my firearms off. Idk why, I'm just not. I'm thinking about making a slip over catch that will thread to the outside of the FS, and slide into a notch on the compensator. The same way the Army has their suppressors set up.

Rkillion said:
The reason I'm having an issue is the compensator is fixed, not threaded. And I don't want to take it off and get it threaded,i don't have those tools, and I'm not a fan of sending my firearms off. Idk why, I'm just not. I'm thinking about making a slip over catch that will thread to the outside of the FS, and slide into a notch on the compensator. The same way the Army has their suppressors set up.

lol the more you describe what you want to do, the thinner the ice gets :) Especially with the huge ban scare we are going through right now... Making "Military Style" mock ups at home is a dangerous thing :/

Rkillion said:

My bet is threaded underneath but is perm. attached per ATF reg's if it is fixed.

I'm unsure where you could get a mount like you're talking about for a fake silencer.

Not sure on that one.

I'll have to defer the bit question to someone with experience...

Has anybody removed the flash hider WITHOUT stripping down the "shell" of this rifle? basically just using a wrench or socket? Thanks

Ryan1904 said:
Has anybody removed the flash hider WITHOUT stripping down the "shell" of this rifle? basically just using a wrench or socket? Thanks

Nevermind, I just took it off with the shell on by myself. It was pretty easy!

First, Thank you all for the replies and tips. I didnt realize that I forgot to add "fake suppressor" to the thread. I just really want the look. I just got my flat top in the mail a few days ago and added a few accessories to get me going. Shot 200 rounds through it today and Im highly impressed!!! Thanks again and once I can get some good pictures, I will add some!

SWATmedic1 said:
First, Thank you all for the replies and tips. I didnt realize that I forgot to add "fake suppressor" to the thread. I just really want the look. I just got my flat top in the mail a few days ago and added a few accessories to get me going. Shot 200 rounds through it today and Im highly impressed!!! Thanks again and once I can get some good pictures, I will add some!

It's not so much that you did or didn't add the word fake to the thread, but the ATF see's things through a specific set of eyes.

There have been people arrested over the years for "intent" only because they had some specific piece, or part or whatever, and I don't like seeing people getting mixed up in something they never intended to happen.

The law basically says "any part" that can be made to silence the shot of a weapon is a silencer, and people have been prosecuted for having a roll of tape and plastic pop bottle before, so it's really a grey area to be in.

fake silencers are completely legal,but how it is made/designed would be the determining factor of whether an overzealous agent could try to get that big promotion or not.

Back