• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

835 as a home defense shotgun

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
I'm not trying to do a reboot of things already covered, nor am I attempting to discuss the virtue of the shotgun for a primary HD firearm vs a handgun vs a rifle. I also have no interest in gadgets for the purpose of this experiment.

What I do want to get into, and invite others to discuss, is what it takes to make the 835 a legit home defender given the dynamics of this particular firearm. (We may refine this as we go)

I'm thinking a couple different things here;
1. Starting with an existing 835 and selecting modifications to reconfigure to include this role
2. Purchasing an 835 with this purpose as a primary or potential role

I know a couple others have done projects like this already, @LTB45 comes to mind. He also posted and linked an article that describes using a field gun as a donor for an HD firearm project.

But I primarily want to focus on the 835 here as it seems it can be configured to be a beast of a shotgun in any situation by finding good load/choke combinations.

I believe there is a perfectly suitable and effective load for just about every choke. So lets decide on some criteria for the 835 as a home defender and go from there.

My personal criteria;
I like a shorter barrel, the 20" is a good fit to me.
I need to be able to fire a suitable load. We aren't talking about the Crazy Uncle Joe School of Home Defense, load the old double barrel and fire through the door indiscriminately if a threat is perceived.

I have some things in mind I intend to try. There are some rounds I intend to purchase as well as another choke tube or three.

Additionally, I have the space to frame a couple traditional framed walls complete with 2x4s and drywall.

This stuff will of course take some time but it should be a fun fall project.

I know there are other suitable shotguns. But you can't experiment and fine tune them quite like the 835. I know there are other choked barrels. Like field barrels. So I defer to my criteria of a shorter barrel with the understanding that its threaded.

Jump on in and let me know what yall are thinking.

"overkill" comes to mind here, figuratively and literally... ;) I guess if you have a very long/large home and need to reach out and touch someone at the far end, you might be on to something. :) But I would make a HD gun as simple as possible--18" cyl. bore barrel and call it good. Perhaps cut down an old choked barrel.

Maybe you're wanting to cut the intruder in half or relieve them of their head? :cool: Or you like to clean up blood and brains and do repair to sheetrock and outside walls? (pic 1) ;) Seriously, in the confines of a room or hallway, a lighter load might be better and less likely to distract one from the task at hand due to recoil. (pic 2)

Maybe I'm not understanding what you aim to do here. o_O A wheel is round for a reason... :D

35buck00.jpg 12mini.jpg

But I would make a HD gun as simple as possible--18" cyl. bore barrel and call it good. Perhaps cut down an old choked barrel.

But that's kind of missing the point. Here's my quote from above;
I know there are other suitable shotguns. But you can't experiment and fine tune them quite like the 835. I know there are other choked barrels. Like field barrels. So I defer to my criteria of a shorter barrel with the understanding that its threaded.

Maybe you're wanting to cut the intruder in half or relieve them of their head? :cool: Or you like to clean up blood and brains and do repair to sheetrock and outside walls? (pic 1) ;) Seriously, in the confines of a room or hallway, a lighter load might be better and less likely to distract one from the task at hand due to recoil.

I'll quote myself again here to emphasize what I want to experiment with.
But I primarily want to focus on the 835 here as it seems it can be configured to be a beast of a shotgun in any situation by finding good load/choke combinations.

I believe there is a perfectly suitable and effective load for just about every choke...

I have some things in mind I intend to try. There are some rounds I intend to purchase as well as another choke tube or three.

Additionally, I have the space to frame a couple traditional framed walls complete with 2x4s and drywall.

Why would the 835 cause more death and destruction than another firearm? Not saying a 3-1/2" shell has to be used. There are many loads which are in the area of 1300 FPS which is similar to other HD/SD loads.

The 835 with a choke tube doesn't simply pattern the Federal FliteControl the way an 18" cylinder bore 500 does. 00 buck doesn't necessarily pattern worth a darn just because a shorter barrel is being utilized and in fact can become a liability. It takes a little more experimenting which means more shooting which is actually enjoyable.

I have a few things in mind which aren't automatically the first things that come to mind and are considered in this topic. Perhaps loads that aren't immediately considered. You see, the 835 has somewhat thrown me for a loop and all experience up to this point doesn't totally apply. It isn't reinventing the wheel, it's putting another chassis on it.

Last edited:
Hmm, I have an 835 with the "turkey barrel" as I call it :) It shoots one heck of a tight pattern, and I would not recommend using 3 1/2 " 00 buckshot. Anywho, being that is set up for primarily turkey hunting the fiber optics come in handy in low light situations. Are you using a standard barrel? Maybe the turkey barrel will give the even tighter pattern when utilized with Hornady TAP 00 buckshot. Just my .02 on the choke situation.

When you say "turkey barrel", how do you mean exactly? Mine is the 20" with 3 dot fiber adjustable fiber optics on the rib.

You mentioned the Hornady TAP, I have some here, and the critical defense, and some Winchester 3" DoubleX 12 pellet. What kind of choke are you using? I haven't been able to decently pattern 00 yet, though I just got a Kicks Howler intended for Hevishot but its too open, it may work with the Winchester DoubleX but not the Hornady, the porting will mess with the wad. I actually had decent patterns with my factory Xfactor turkey choke and Nobel Sport 4 buck. Not wonderful but decent. I think HD ranges it would be ok, and for that matter, I think the other 00 buck would be ok.

I'm planning on trying the DoubleX and Howler choke. Though even if it patterns well, it's not what I'm looking for. I got the Howler for HTL like Hevishot T and Winchester B. It's too open for those sadly.

I call it that because a gentleman at walmart referred to the barrel as a "turkey barrel" lol. I believe it's the way the choke is, it's substantially longer than the other internal chokes I've seen and it extends past the barrel about an inch. The barrels length is 24" I do believe. It's covered in Mossy Oak breakup camo so pretty much my designated turkey gun even though I killed my first tom with a Silver Reserve O/U. I have yet to test the Hornady TAP in the 835, it patterns dang tight in my Maverick 88 security though!

I call it that because a gentleman at walmart referred to the barrel as a "turkey barrel" lol. I believe it's the way the choke is, it's substantially longer than the other internal chokes I've seen and it extends past the barrel about an inch. The barrels length is 24" I do believe. It's covered in Mossy Oak breakup camo so pretty much my designated turkey gun even though I killed my first tom with a Silver Reserve O/U. I have yet to test the Hornady TAP in the 835, it patterns dang tight in my Maverick 88 security though!

Lol, no worries!

So the it's the extended choke, is it also ported? The first time I patterned mine was with Hornady VersaTite 3" turkey #4s. It was terrible. I had better patterns with my 500 cylinder bore and the same load. By the time I established the choke and load I'm using for turkeys, I could see by comparison, my 50 yard patterns looked better than my very first 25 yards pattern. I have most of it documented in the 835 choke tube thread.
http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum...ssberg-835-ulti-mag-pump-action-chokes.10431/

I also patterned several buckshot loads, Federal FliteControl, Hornady VersaTite, Winchester DoubleX, and Nobel Sport. All the 00 looked awful but the choke was too tight and was/is ported. The porting stripped the FliteControl wad away early negating any benefit. Now with the more open choke I have, the other non FliteControl loads may work nicely. I also still have some Winchester Ranger 00 9 pellet that may work ok. I'll find out, perhaps this weekend. It's too dark now by the time I get home to do anything any sooner.

Actually my choke is not ported, the barrel itself is though. It patterned the 3 1/2" Winchester 00 buck okay. I hate shooting that round through such a light gun!

A turkey barrel is just longer. Usually the 28" barrel is referred to as "the turkey barrel" It just lets you reach out a lil further than the shorter barrels......

I hate shooting that round through such a light gun!
My 835 is not light but with the Knoxx RRS Spec Ops and a LimbSaver, makes shooting the heaviest loads a breeze. With a +4 tube extension makes for 10 shots without a reload if you shoot short loads. My 24 inch barrel is a rifled barrel. Bad thing about the field barrel, don't shoot slugs. Still love my "marshmallow" gun.

On home defense, My .32 in my rear pocket, 9mm easy reach, and the rest in the cabinet for quick access.

In 31 days we have open carry for pistols for Licensed handgun owners.

My 835 is not light but with the Knoxx RRS Spec Ops and a LimbSaver, makes shooting the heaviest loads a breeze. With a +4 tube extension makes for 10 shots without a reload if you shoot short loads. My 24 inch barrel is a rifled barrel. Bad thing about the field barrel, don't shoot slugs. Still love my "marshmallow" gun.

On home defense, My .32 in my rear pocket, 9mm easy reach, and the rest in the cabinet for quick access.

In 31 days we have open carry for pistols for Licensed handgun owners.

Not to be a caliber snob, but honestly, that .32 would be living in my safe. Take care. Tom Worthington

Hey Rossi,

Any updates on the HD 835. I just configured mine to HD. I had it originally setup with a 24" rifle barrel, fun build just never got to shoot it like my 590A1. I had trouble with being able to shoot the 835 at ranges since its not considered a "rifle". Wasn't happy with short ranges and really wanted to try myself a distances with a scope. Never happened and it sat around for years, and I didn't hunt with it either. Luckily I still had the 28" barrel, cut it down to the 19.5" rib, and now its my primary HD. Now if I could just figure out what to do with the 24" rifle barrel.

So being the 835 is an HD gun, I have been thinking along your lines of choking the barrel again. Giving options and some versatility to the shotgun, but not sure if it warrants the cost. I have been tossing around the idea of sending the barrel to Mike Orlen for the work. Since this barrel has no porting or chokes it may shoot the Fed Flitecontrol LE buck ok, like it does in the 590, but have yet to try. I'm open to discussion or guidance.

2016-04-08_10-38-03_390.jpg
Aside from that, I did stumble across a cool addition to the 835. I wanted a light on the shotgun and used a CDM Gear MOD-C light mount, from my 590A1, and its mounts no problem to the barrel and Nordic mag +2 extension. Nice clean simple solution with the option for a sling mount too.

2016-04-08_10-32-43_199.jpg
Still looking for a good flash light, preferably one that is longer so I can reach it easier when the hand is on the forend.

On the longer flashlight, Streamlight may have something along the lines of what you're looking for. The CDM clamp looks good on there!

I haven't tested anything more for HD. I had been thinking about a non ported choke tube to try the FliteControl but it hasn't come to fruition. What I have found though is that the Federal 4 buck patterns decently and at closer ranges I'm certain would be effective. I believe if you try something like the 1 buck in FliteControl you'd be very happy with it and it may be worth doing that before considering having the barrel threaded.

Do you have any public/state lands with shotgun ranges? Some of these around here allow shotguns of any sort. It's otherwise going to be difficult to try the rifled barrel. If you were to use it to hunt, where would that be? Would it be possible to go to there and try the barrel?

Back