• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

835 broken forend help...

hendu3270

Copper BB
Long story short...had a break in and all guns were stolen including an ulti-mag (20 years old) and a Winchester 1200 older than that. Decided to pick up two 835's to replace them as i had no issues with the old 835. Didn't get to hunt last year and only put 5 or 6 boxes through each last year skeet shooting. Took one out today to burn through a cheap box of 7-1/2's because I needed the brass for a project. After 20 rounds the forend broke off of the two slides. The little pins that hold them into the forend pulled out and broke part of the forend. I'm assuming I could call mossberg and get this taken care of but i do not want to replace with same inferior parts and have the same issue. Anyone else run into this issue or have suggestions for a stronger upgrade?

Last edited:
I would call mossberg. Most likely a bad part if it was new..If that one was used, who knows what kind of abuse it was subjected to.
Cant hurt to call em. And send em an email as well to follow up with the phone call. Use this email for Joe. Tell em you're a member at this forum...

Joseph Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

Let us know what happens...

Odd thing is second 835 shows wear of the hole the pins go through as well. They are starting to "shift" and will eventually pull our as well

Last edited:
If your gun is camouflaged, you'll need to contact Mossberg for a match. If it's black and the gun's not new, try Ebay. If you want an upgrade, you can switch to a steel action slide tube and go wood front and back. Won't match your camo receiver but it'll last forever.

Emailed customer service a couple of days ago and sent serial numbers, as they requested. They are sending out two, new forend assemblies at no cost. They've handled it very well. I'm more then concerned though with the replacements being of the exact same design and material that I will simply have to deal with this again. May look into the steel action slide tube, but I really don't know how to go about fitting an 835 with that setup. Much less what exactly to buy to do it.

The steel tube will replace the entire one piece forearm you have. It's a plain steel tube with the action bars. You put a synthetic or wood forearm onto that tube. You need to look to matching the stock and the rest of the gun, though, so if your gun is a factory camo right now, you're a bit out of luck on an easy replacement. If your gun is black, a 500 model forearm will fit onto an 835 steel slide tube. Any 500 forearm will fit onto an 835 tube. 500 wood and 835 wood are identical. You'll just need an 835 slide action tube. Again, if your gun is camo, it's going to be hard to match.

Thank you for the information Richard (VERY HELPFUL!!) I'm not overly concerned about a forend matching the camo on these two shotguns. Black would be just fine (rock solid is more important). These two Ulti-Mags are just a couple of years old and in reading through one of the stickies here on the forum, looks like I would need a 6-3/4" tube since my serial numbers start with "UM". That being said, I believe what I would need is this? https://www.mossberg.com/store/12362bl.html and then pretty much any 500 forearm will work with that. Am I correct on this? Thanks gain. Chris

You need an 835 slide tube assembly, not the 500. The 835 is basically a stretched 500....so the 835 slide tube works perfectly fine on a 500 or a Mav 88 etc, but the 500 action bars on the tube are about a half inch short for an 835. Just contact Mossberg and ask for the 835 part. Midway has it now and then as does Brownells, but you'll pay twice as much as straight from Mossy. Check the folks at Havlins, too. They stock a *lot* of good stuff most times. The forearm furniture, the wood or the plastic is fully interchangeable between the 835 and the 500 so when you get ready to pick a forearm, don't worry if al you see says "500". It's the same. Remember, too, the slide tubes come in two diff lengths that fit two diff forearms themselves. The tactical Mossy guns use the 7 5/8" slide tube for the 7 5/8" forearm....the field models use the 6 1/2". Hogue makes an adapter nut that lets you use 7 5/8" furniture on a 6 1/2" tube, too. It sounds complicated. It's not. In time, you'll end up with enough extra parts to build another gun just like the rest of us.

Last edited:
Glad the rivets worked for you. I ended up replacing with model 500 forend with steel tube like stated above. They are rock solid now.

Glad the rivets worked for you. I ended up replacing with model 500 forend with steel tube like stated above. They are rock solid now.
I like the plastic (mossy oak camo) forearm….but the pins not having a sholder easily pull through. I just wanted people to know there is a fix.

Back