• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 Magazine Spring Survey

Me too.
I cycled the action through a fully loaded tube 3 times and only had one malfunction when I didn't pull hard enough (double feed).

We shall see.

Sent from my Apple Newton in 1993 with 640k of RAM

How long is that spring? I've used a Nordic Components spring all the way down to 24" with no failures. The Wolff spring I am using now is cut to 29". I used to have a 590A1 and I recall the factory spring barely sticking out of the magazine when I took the cap off.

I didn't measure it, perhaps someone here knows that off the top of their head.

It only stuck out by about 6 inches.

Sent from my Apple Newton in 1993 with 640k of RAM

Semper Fi. If I remember correctly, Nordic wanted 8 - 10" left out of the end of their extension. Depending on follower, stock or aftermarket, may need to trim more off. Obviously start long. Too much spring and full mag load will cause problems, too little and the last shell may not feed reliably. Read all info, twice. My 930T, with NC +2, took a couple of trimmings, 1/2" at a time. Ended up with the Mossy follower back in there as after market wasn't quite right. Deburr/smooth inside edge of factory tube a little. Allows spring and follower to pass smoother without sticking.

If I remember correctly, (seems I say this more & more) 5956 was my MOS. Marine Air, forward strip GCA radar tech and, as all Marines, a rifleman. Choppers & Harriers were what we were supporting. Harriers are the noisiest fixed wing craft I've ever heard. MOS probably doesn't exist anymore.

Q:1. 22" jm pro. load 8? Y Federal & Winchester
Q:2 load 7 as per advertised? Y Same brands
Q:3. Factory spring? Y. Some sticky follower issues. A little sanding & polish @ transition joint
Mod for 3 gun stock length -4 coils + Nordic follower

From another post: if you push up on the elevator then pull the bolt back enough to hold it, then push the bolt release, eureka! All shells eject from load port. Try it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am a little curious about the spring length here. I have just bought a new 24" 9+1 JMPro and on taking it apart found the mag spring very thin and VERY, VERY, LONG...
Also difficult to get in without overwrapping the coils.(I did use a cleaning rod in the tube to help, some)

What I would like to see here is some sort of reference of 930 spring length per barrel length, and maybe spring type.

Barrel ...18" Mag Capacity...... Spring Length OAL....... Spring Outside Mag tube...... Make......

Barrel ...20 Mag Capacity...... Spring Length OAL....... Spring Outside Mag tube...... Make ...

Barrel ...22 Mag Capacity...... Spring Length OAL....... Spring Outside Mag tube...... Make.....

Barrel ...24" Mag Capacity...... Spring Length OAL....... Spring Outside Mag tube...... Make......

This is an idea of what would be easier for people to relate to perhaps.

Also anyone with a 24" JMPro found an easy way to put spring back, I thought about just unscrewing the little cap on the top of the mag tube , this way the spring is captured further down the tube, insert spring then screw back on

Last edited:
I also have a 24" JM Pro; Spring OAL is 31.75", extends 8.5" from end of extension, it is a Wolff 65167 spring. I have the NC follower and can get 9 birdshot shells in (they measure about 2 1/4") but only 8 slug shells that measure 2 5/16" or 2 3/8". I put the original steel follower back in to test and I could load 9 slugs but they were so tight I couldn't get the first one out of the magazine to load, even with holding the loader up and pressing the release. Spring still too long??

I still consider myself a noob when it comes to shotguns, but here are my thoughts on that magazine spring: since my spring is now a more manageable length I haven't had as much trouble with just taking off the extension. A cleaning rod down the tube really helps but with the shorter spring I don't need it as much as I used to... Pro for taking off the extension tube and feeding the spring down that way- you don't have to fiddle with the barrel clamp. Con- those threads are fine and you have to be a bit careful when compressing the spring and lining up the cap to be sure you don't cross-thread it. If you're cleaning the shotgun you would need to remove the barrel clamp anyhow so then you end up with another operation....

BTW, before I got the Wolff spring I trimmed my stock spring to 32" and it always fed the last shell. To my way of thinking, that shows there's still enough pressure from the spring.

My 930 SPX XS has a 39" mag spring.

It will load 6 + 1 - 3" shells.

It will load 7 + 1 - 2 3/4" shells as well.

Haven't had the chance to shoot this thing yet so don't if it will cycle rounds or not but they do load.

Edit to add: It hand cycles fine.

Another edit to add: Finally got out to shoot this 930. As stated above it loads as advertised. It also functions as advertised...:thumbsup:

Last edited:
1. Yes...37"
2. Haven't tried, but I'm sure 7 won't fit.
3. Yes
4. Yes, FTF and FTE problems since I bought the gun over a year ago. Very ammo sensitive.

My factory spring length is 35 inches.
Yes I can load seven 2 3/4 in the magazine and that is with a new non binding magazine follower that has a tail used help to keep the spring from binding.
No feeding issues, my 930SPX is for home defense so the only ammunition used are full power 00 buck, or full power 1oz slugs.

Back