• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 Magazine Spring Survey

1. Can you load seven 2 3/4" shells in your 930 SPX - YES
1A. If "Yes", what is the length of the spring and what kind of ammo.

36" spring. I have been able to load several types of any type of 2 3/4 shells.

2. Can you load seven 3" shells in your 930 SPX - NO

3. Are you using the stock Mossberg spring - YES

4. Any ammo feed problems? - NO. A proper break in was completed however with high brass shot, buck and slugs.

------ Update ------

I am now running a Nordic Comp spring which is stiffer than the factory Mossberg spring. It looks like carbon steel. I have it cut to 27" and working perfect.

Referencing 930 Blackwater

1. Yes
1A. 40" x .036" wire

2. n/a
2A. n/a
2B. n/a

3. Yes

4. Yes, fully loaded tube either wont feed at all or double feeds and then jams, this has been true on two different Blackwater's. (First unit went back to Mossberg via the FFL/dealer).

EDIT:

An "After-Market" purchased 8-round extension purchased directly from Choate (The OEM supplier to Mossberg, obviously...) has this... FYI: This tube extension is 8" in length, which is approximately 1 3/32" longer than the factory supplied tube extension and does stick out beyond the barrel end by approximately 1", however at least in the case of the particular extension I got, it does not fully seat against the foreend by about .05" due to a lack of internal thread depth inside the tube extension, this allows the barrel and everything else to float by about .05" - NOT GOOD...

1. Yes
1A. 26" x .048" wire

2. n/a
2A. n/a
2B. n/a

3. ??? See header to this immediate section

4. Yes, fully loaded tube either wont feed at all or double feeds and then jams, this has been true on two different Blackwater's. (First unit went back to Mossberg via the FFL/dealer).

Subject says 930, but the questions are SPX specific.
Answering anyway, for a 22" JM Pro (8+1 claimed)..

1. Can you load 8 2 3/4" shells in your 22" JM 930 magazine?
Yes, can actually load 9 tightly with some 2 3/4" shells.
Spring length is 36" OAL.

2. Can you load eight 3" shells in your 22" JM 930?
Good question, will check when I can.

3. Are you using the stock Mossberg spring?
Not sure MB actually makes the spring for the JM, as it's a Nordic Components mag extension tube.
I'm using the one that came with the gun, though.

4. Any ammo feed problems?
No, or not yet, with 125 or so down the pipe at this point. Mixed 2.75, 3", Fiocchi, Federal, Estate, others..

1. Can you load seven 2 3/4" shells in your 930 - Y
Nordic +3 spring cut to 14" past the magazine cap... any 2 3/4 ammo.

2. Can you load seven 3" shells in your 930
Haven't tried 3" shells

3. Are you using the stock Mossberg spring - N
3A. If "No", what is the manufacturer and length of the spring.
Nordic +3 spring 14" past the cap.

4. Any ammo feed problems? - Y, N

Misery930 said:
Remember that 2 3/4 inches is the length AFTER it is fired and uncrimps. An unfired 2 3/4 inch shell is usually 2 1/4 inches long. Winchester buckshot, Fiocchi buckshot, everything I've tried by Remington and Federal target loads are all pretty much the same size and I can fit 7 of them in the magazine with no problems. 3 inch shells are about 2 1/2 inches unfired. Winchester 2 3/4 inch slugs (and Rio Royal as has been mentioned) are actually 2 1/2 inches unfired so they're like loading a 3 inch shell. I cannot fit 7 of them in the magazine but I do get really close for what it's worth."

Great information. Solves a lot of questions. I bet none of us ever measured a 2.75 inch shell!! This is why so many report that when installing a +2 extension (or wondering why Mossie claims the SPX is a 7+ 1) they can get 6 or 7 rounds of total capacity in the gun.

I would say the Mossberg 930 is especially finicky so if one wants to play around with a mag. extension, be prepared for some exasperation. Watch the youtube videos for Nordic installation and see how much experimentation is required to adjust the spring length. Note also that Wolf springs will give one an inexpensive spare to keep on hand. If one does a lot of trap or skeet or competition shooting, the Wolf seems to be the ticket for a replacement.

Great post!

1. Can you load seven 2 3/4" shells in your 930 - Yes
28", Winchester AA 1250 FPS, Remington Game Load 1290 FPS

2. Can you load seven 3" shells in your 930
Haven't tried 3" shells

3. Are you using the stock Mossberg spring - No
Wolff 28" with GG&G Follower

4. Any ammo feed problems? - No

Great thread.

1. Can you load seven 2 3/4" shells in your 930 SPX?
Initially, I was unable to load all 7 x 2.75" rounds. My Mossberg 930 SPX came with a factory 40" (approx.) spring. I was able to load on average of 5 x 2.75" rounds consistently. Since reading this thread, I've cut the factory spring to 30-32" (approx.) and have been able to load 7 x 2.75" rounds consistently (Winchester Super X Buckshot 00 Buck [1325 veloc.], Winchester Super X Rifled Slug Hollow Point 1 oz. [1600 veloc.], and Olin-Winchester MG Buckshot 00 Buck).

2. Can you load seven 3" shells in your 930 SPX?
Have not tried - if I am not mistaken the factory Mossberg 930 SPX magazine tube was not designed for 7 x 3" rounds.

3. Are you using the stock Mossberg spring?
Yes.

4. Any ammo feed problems?
When I first fired my 930 SPX out of the box, (granted I was only able to load 5 x 2.75" rounds at the time), it didn't have any feeding problems (Used the indoor range ammunition: Federal Premium Top Gun Target Load No. 8 and Federal Premium Vital Shok Buckshot 00 Buck). After cutting the spring, I did a test-feed/dry-load (Are these even terms? Excuse my ignorance) of the ammunition mentioned in the first answer. The only one where I would occasionally run into problems is with the Winchester Super X Buckshot 00 Buck [1325 veloc.], but I'm sure this will change when I fire the gun again at the range.

Thank you again all.

----Update 18 January 2014----

Just went to an outdoor range today and fired off a variety of ammunition (3" and 2.75"; #6, #8, 00B, and Rifled Slugs).

Shoutout to the ROs at the Titusville Gun Club in Florida. They were very friendly. I went semi-auto at one point to actually see what the Mossberg 930 SPX was all about, but they politely told me to have more controlled groups to which I obeyed; apologies to all my fellow shooters and Mossberg owners who are probably shaking their heads right now.

Everything went rather well - loaded 7 rounds each time with the 2.75" rounds. There was one instance of FTF with the Winchester 00B - after I shot 2 rounds of the #6 3" and 5 rounds of 00B 2.75".

It was a good day.

1. Can you load seven 2 3/4" shells in your 930 SPX - Yes
1A. Cheap target loads, Remington/Winchester.

2. Can you load seven 3" shells in your 930 SPX - No
2B. 6 shells, Brenneke Black Magic Magnums or Federal Premium #4 buck P158-4B

Brenneke Magnums are slightly shorter than the P158-4B's, but not enough to matter. 7th shell hangs out by an inch.

3. Are you using the stock Mossberg spring - No
Wolfe 590 '9-shot' spring, 17905

4. Any ammo feed problems? - No, but with a Gg&G sling adapter between the extension and the tube, I had no end of issues. Gap between extension and tube was too much for the stock follower, removed the adapter and it works fine.

The Wolfe 17905 spring is tapered at both ends, fits into the stock follower & installs without cutting or the snake-in-a-can of the stock spring. I'll buy 3 next time. Last-round feeding is much firmer than with stock spring & maintains pressure throughout loading.

First round into the mag is tight with 3", also tight on removal. No issues at all with feeding last round manually or by firing, no issues with loading or unloading 2.75". I'll be relieving the receiver near the mag tube a bit to alleviate binding for the first round. Ghost loading works with 3" shells, but it's got a narrower window to get it right.

1. yes
1a. All 2 3/4 bird,buck and slug
2. Never attempted
3. No
3a wolff extra power, 28 inches
4. At first all was running fine. after returning from range and cleaning, the first round from a full 7 round mag tube would not pick up first round. What the heck did I mess up.? This is a very early gen 1 and this great site was not around. M24 shooter in Weapons Evo was all there was. Wound up ordering diff springs and followers. Some followers will decrease your mag tube down a round. Nothing helped except trimming the springs to only about 18"s. Little while ago found this great site and the maintenance section. Followed instructions on removing shell stop. Excellent by the way. I took mine out and polished it then ordered the wolff. All is well at 28"s. While experimenting I did find that when using a Scattergun Tech follower with seven in the tube, my ww super x's 00 were deforming and causing feed problems. Too snug I guess. Everything's fine with a Brownells alum follower or stock follower. Thanks for the info and great site. Now my gun is as it should be. Btw the super x rounds were swelling at the top and getting indention's inward right above the high brass. Sorry so long of a post.

Misery930 said:
I use a Nordic Components spring and magazine follower in my 930. The spring is cut to 26 inches and functions perfectly. I didn't have any feeding issues with the factory spring and follower but they weren't up to my standards. Not smooth enough, hardly any resistance and that last round seemed like it would just ooze out of the magazine when I tested it. Turn your gun over, load one into the magazine, press the lifter up against the bolt and press the bolt release button. That will unload the magazine without chambering every round. That's a trick I learned from Mad Ogre on youtube for anyone who doesn't know.

Remember that 2 3/4 inches is the length AFTER it is fired and uncrimps. An unfired 2 3/4 inch shell is usually 2 1/4 inches long. Winchester buckshot, Fiocchi buckshot, everything I've tried by Remington and Federal target loads are all pretty much the same size and I can fit 7 of them in the magazine with no problems. 3 inch shells are about 2 1/2 inches unfired. Winchester 2 3/4 inch slugs (and Rio Royal as has been mentioned) are actually 2 1/2 inches unfired so they're like loading a 3 inch shell. I cannot fit 7 of them in the magazine but I do get really close for what it's worth.

The Nordic Components spring is a lot stronger than the factory spring so it doesn't need to be 30+ inches long to function properly. You have 18 3/4 inches of total magazine space in the 930 SPX. When the magazine is loaded with 7 rounds, you've got about 3 inches for the spring to compress. If you compress a spring like that for a long time (I did it with my 870 for 4 months), it will shrink slightly but still functions perfectly. The spring in my 870 went from 25 to 24 inches from four months straight of being loaded with 7 rounds of 2 3/4 inch Winchester buckshot. I didn't notice any difference in the the function of it, I had to take it out and measure it to find out it had been affected at all.

As for the magazine gap problems, try changing your follower. I've used the Nordic Components follower in my 870 and 930 for over a year now and all the problems I used to have have gone away. With the 930 specifically I noticed that my first round feeds smoother and most importantly, you won't get stuck on the joint between the extension and the magazine. The old design was grey but the new ones are red with 'made in usa' on it. That should solve the 'visibility' complaint, lot of people had.

I tried that with a choate +2 and cut the spring down to 26" still failed to feed. Went to the stock 21" spring that came with my 930 and not one more issue!

I destroyed my stock spring today.
y4ebapyt.jpg

It looked like that when I took it out of the tube.

Awesome, huh?

Sent from my Apple Newton in 1993 with 640k of RAM

I guess I didn't put it back in right when I installed the lower rail.

It came out bent the first time, and like that once I took it apart and tried reassembling it.

Oh well.

I installed the Wolff spring for a 590 and when cycling the action by hand with some authority, it seems to work well.

I will try to get to the range this weekend and see what happens.

Me too.
I cycled the action through a fully loaded tube 3 times and only had one malfunction when I didn't pull hard enough (double feed).

We shall see.

You don't have to operate the bolt to unload the magazine. Turn the gun upside down, push the carrier up and out of the way and then press the bolt release button on the side of the receiver. It will eject the shells from the magazine without having to cycle them through the action and chamber them.

Back