• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 Magazine Spring Survey

raven01750

.270 WIN
This 930 magazine spring issue just never dies. Some get seven shells, some don't. Some get seven using aftermarket springs and some still can't. This survey may help us figure out what the issue really is and what to tell people when they ask and need our help. Please respond when you get some time. Cut and past it in your post would be cool. If you don't use 3" ammo then just leaving it blank would fine. If you have already cut your spring and it works for you then great. Just tell us what the new length is that works. I would do a poll but I'm not quite sure it fits what I am hoping to accomplish here. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Paul

1. Can you load seven 2 3/4" shells in your 930 SPX - Y, N
1A. If "Yes", what is the length of the spring and what kind of ammo.
1B. If "No", what is the length of your spring and what kind of ammo.

2. Can you load seven 3" shells in your 930 SPX - Y, N
2A. If "Yes", what is the length of the spring and what kind of ammo.
2B. If "No", what is the length of your spring and what kind of ammo.

3. Are you using the stock Mossberg spring - Y, N
3A. If "No", what is the manufacturer and length of the spring.

4. Any ammo feed problems? - Y, N

I changed this topic to a sticky, so those that have this dilema may see it up top here.

And thank you for trying to get to the bottom of this "springy" situation. ;)

Thanks Rip.

1. Can you load seven 2 3/4" shells in your 930 SPX - (Yes)

1A. If "Yes", what is the length of the spring and what kind of ammo. - Spring length = 35 1/2", Winchester Universal 2 3/4" 1200 FPS 1 1/8 oz 8 Shot

3. Are you using the stock Mossberg spring - (Yes)

4. Any ammo feed problems? - (No)

OK Folks. This is what mine does with this combination. How about others. Thanks.

Paul

1. Can you load seven 2 3/4" shells in your 930 SPX - Yes

1A. If "Yes", what is the length of the spring and what kind of ammo. - Factory length and various kinds of ammo, all has worked.

2. Can you load seven 3" shells in your 930 SPX - N/A, have not tried nor do I plan to.

3. Are you using the stock Mossberg spring - Yes

4. Any ammo feed problems? - No

ETA: My spring length is 37.5"

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

1. Can you load seven 2 3/4" shells in your 930 SPX - (No)
1B. If "No", what is the length of your spring and what kind of ammo. - 35 1/2", Hornady 2 3/4" SST Shotgun Slug 300 gr FTX.

3. Are you using the stock Mossberg spring - (Yes)

4. Any ammo feed problems? - (No)

Even though the Hornady SST's are approximately 1/16" longer in length than the Winchester 2 3/4" Universal, this is enough of a difference when loading seven shells to prevent me from getting seven Hornady Shells loaded. That's a difference of approximately 1/2" more in total length of seven shells with the Hornady's. Not much.

Winchester ammo length is 2 5/16".
Hornady SST ammo length is 2 6/16 or 2 3/8"

Paul

1. Can you load seven 2 3/4" shells in your 930 SPX- YES
1A. If yes what is the length of your spring and what kind of ammo: Factory length 35 1/2" using Remington 00 Buck 2 3/4" shells
2. Can you load seven 3" shells in your 930 SPX- No haven't tryed it yet. No plans of trying out.
3. Are you using the factory spring- Yes
4. Any feeding problems- I did when I bought the gun.Could only fit five 2 3/4" shells in tube.Sent it to mossberg. They corrected sent back to me. Shot gun holds seven 2 3/4" shells also now able to ghost load.

SeaScout

1. Can you load seven 2 3/4" shells in your 930 SPX - No-6 only
1A. If "Yes", what is the length of the spring and what kind of ammo.
1B. If "No", what is the length of your spring and what kind of ammo.
28" Wolfe spring

2. Can you load seven 3" shells in your 930 SPX - No
2A. If "Yes", what is the length of the spring and what kind of ammo.
2B. If "No", what is the length of your spring and what kind of ammo.

3. Are you using the stock Mossberg spring - No
3A. If "No", what is the manufacturer and length of the spring.
Wolfe trimmed to 28"

1A. If "Yes", what is the length of the spring and what kind of ammo. Factory spring with S&H Hardware HiViz follower with spring guide. Hornady Critical Defense 8 pellet 00 buck and Federal Tru-Ball slugs.

2. Can you load seven 3" shells in your 930 SPX - I have not tried but there is very little room left, (maybe 1/4 inch) with 7 - 2 3/4 shells, so I doubt they would fit.

one problem with your survey....

It asks if something can be done that the manufacturer didn't intend.... capacity for 3" shells is 6+1, you'll never get 7 in the tube unless you have no spring or follower at all.

Other then that, great survey, my answers....

1. Can you load seven 2 3/4" shells in your 930 SPX - Y, N.......... Yes
1A. If "Yes", what is the length of the spring and what kind of ammo......... stock spring cut to 28.5", takes all types, i can even load 6, 2 3/4" shells along with one 3" shell.

2. Can you load seven 3" shells in your 930 SPX - Y, N.......... No, again mossberg never intended this. It's 6+1 capacity with 3" shells.
2A. If "Yes", what is the length of the spring and what kind of ammo.... And yes i can load this fine to intended capacity using Winchester #2 blindside ammo and Selier & Bellot 15 round 00 Buck along with my stock spring cut to 28.5".

3. Are you using the stock Mossberg spring - Y, N........... Yes, but cut down to 28.5“

4. Any ammo feed problems? - Y, N....... No. But before i cut down the spring i had capacity issues, both the fault of the stock follower and spring length. From time to time my follower still gets snagged and hung up at the magazine extension transition, but a little jiggle in and out and it lets in the rest.

As of yet, I can not specifically address your questions, however, with several different brands of shells (Hornady, Winchester, etc), I have noticed that even though all the boxes list them as 2 3/4" loads, that when stacked together they are all different lengths. Even within the same brand, their buckshot loads will be of a different length than their slugs. I wonder if this effects anything?

It sure looks that way. And I would bet my next paycheck a bad fit between the magazine tube extension and the magazine tube answers a whole bunch of problems with holding seven shells.

Paul

Can you dumb this down for me please as I'm new to shotguns, besides qualifying with them at work every quarter. What do you mean by a bad fit between the extension and the magazine tube? Do you mean that the shells don't go in straight or what?

Kinda,

It's not so much the rounds going in crooked, but rather the follower. If the factory mag extensions are poorly fitted it can cause the extension to sit slightly mis-aligned with the mag tube. It's easy to miss if you're not looking for it, but the slight mis-alignment can cause the follower to hang up right at the transition point between the mag tube and extension. There is often enough of a snag that the follower can't push past. It can appear that the spring is bottomed out in the end of the extension when there could be an inch or two left. The more space you lose, the fewer rounds will fit...

Just read this thread, and others on this issue, and I agree that a bad fit of the mag extension is a probable culprit. With my SPX (unmodified) I am able to fully load (7) multiple brands of 2 3/4" shells. When I added a GG&G forward sling attachment, which is nothing more than a spacer between the mag and extension, then I was unable to load more the 5 rounds. It would lock up solid on the 5th round loaded.

It seems I unwittingly recreated a random factory flaw with my aftermarket part, which I immediately took off the gun.

**I'll fill the the survey later when I get a chance to measure my spring length but its a unmodified factory spring and my SPX is a later model (BW addition)**

All brands that are actually 2-3/4" (excludes weirdo Royal Buck ammo) will load 7 shells into the mag tube. Spring is OEM, approx, 37". No feed problems. With 3" shells I think only 6 will fit.

When installing the mag tube spring, be sure the spring slips completely into the back side of the follower and is not just pressing against the outer rim of the follower. If the spring presses against the rim of the follower it's likely to apply uneven pressure on the follower and cause it to catch at the point where the mag tube extension screws on. The one time I didn't pay attention to this is the only time my mag tube would only accept 5 shells. After I pulled the mag tube spring out and made sure it was seated correctly against the follower, the mag tube held 7 shells again.

I use a Nordic Components spring and magazine follower in my 930. The spring is cut to 26 inches and functions perfectly. I didn't have any feeding issues with the factory spring and follower but they weren't up to my standards. Not smooth enough, hardly any resistance and that last round seemed like it would just ooze out of the magazine when I tested it. Turn your gun over, load one into the magazine, press the lifter up against the bolt and press the bolt release button. That will unload the magazine without chambering every round. That's a trick I learned from Mad Ogre on youtube for anyone who doesn't know.

Remember that 2 3/4 inches is the length AFTER it is fired and uncrimps. An unfired 2 3/4 inch shell is usually 2 1/4 inches long. Winchester buckshot, Fiocchi buckshot, everything I've tried by Remington and Federal target loads are all pretty much the same size and I can fit 7 of them in the magazine with no problems. 3 inch shells are about 2 1/2 inches unfired. Winchester 2 3/4 inch slugs (and Rio Royal as has been mentioned) are actually 2 1/2 inches unfired so they're like loading a 3 inch shell. I cannot fit 7 of them in the magazine but I do get really close for what it's worth.

The Nordic Components spring is a lot stronger than the factory spring so it doesn't need to be 30+ inches long to function properly. You have 18 3/4 inches of total magazine space in the 930 SPX. When the magazine is loaded with 7 rounds, you've got about 3 inches for the spring to compress. If you compress a spring like that for a long time (I did it with my 870 for 4 months), it will shrink slightly but still functions perfectly. The spring in my 870 went from 25 to 24 inches from four months straight of being loaded with 7 rounds of 2 3/4 inch Winchester buckshot. I didn't notice any difference in the the function of it, I had to take it out and measure it to find out it had been affected at all.

As for the magazine gap problems, try changing your follower. I've used the Nordic Components follower in my 870 and 930 for over a year now and all the problems I used to have have gone away. With the 930 specifically I noticed that my first round feeds smoother and most importantly, you won't get stuck on the joint between the extension and the magazine. The old design was grey but the new ones are red with 'made in usa' on it. That should solve the 'visibility' complaint a lot of people had.

1. Yes
1A. Spring is stock length. Various types of ammo, though usually the last round just barely fits.

2. Have not tried

3. Yes, stock spring

4. Yes, have had feed problems since i bought it.

1A. Spring 40" (too long? Should I trim it? How do you leave the end of the spring if you do?)

2. Can you load seven 3" shells in your 930 SPX - haven't tried

4. Any ammo feed problems? - Y,
Manually ejecting (via holding the elevator down and pressing the bolt release)sometimes two or even three rounds will come out at once. The last round gets stuck halfway. Again when manually ejecting. Less problems when chambering a round but a couple time more then one Roy d will be ejected from the tube.

FYI, have yet to fire the gun, haven't been able to get to the range since I bought it. It is a third gen spx, manufactured aug 2012 ( according to the sticker inside the forend, and according to the style of the front site)

I turned my 930 home security model into a SPX by buying the stock SPX parts including the spring. I used the SPX spring for a few hundred round and had issues with loading and unloading. I switched back to the home security spring and had only a few minor issues until I polished the mag tube, follower, and extension. I did notice that the H/S spring was thicker and heavier than the SPX spring and was also shorter and I could still load 7 rounds with both springs. I use the cheap #8 shot and Winchester military grade 00 buck and DDupleks monolit 28 slugs for serious work, with these rounds I still get 7 in the tube.

1. Yes

1A 2 3/4 Length 29 1/4

2. Not tried with 3"
3. No
3A Ordered the Wolff spring for the 930 SPX and S&J cup follower

Back