• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 SPX

HumblePie

Copper BB
I own two Mossys (a field 500 and the 100 ATR) and love 'em for their utter and complete reliability. I'd been considering adding the 930 SPX to the lineup but I kept reading posts on various forums that made it sound as though some kinks still needed to be worked out of the gun. One issue involved off-kilter sights, another jamming and FTFs. In any event, I'm loyal to the brand and just wanted to know if some of these (ahem, alleged) initial issues had any merit and whether new 930 SPX's were now as kink-free and reliable as the rest of Mossy's lineup. If any of you out there have experience with this model, I'd be interested to hear what you say. Thanks in advance!

"m24" who also posts on here, has done a very thorough review and continuous testing. Admitedly, the early reviews prevented me from purchasing one also in the past, but it has been out now for awhile, and I would feel confident buying one.

There are a couple of reviews posted under the 930 section, as well as links to m24's review on weapon evolution.

http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=56

There is quite abit of info going up on the 930...

Welcome to the board.
The 930 SPX had some issues to start with. Canted sights, high POI from incorrect sight height, stripped out receiver rail screw holes, and a few others.
Those have pretty much all been solved. Mossberg is on their third generation of sight/barrel combination, and the new tower sits high enough to solve the POI issue and OFM is very aware of the canted sight issue and I haven't heard of that being a problem with the new production barrels.
Stripped screws can happen, there's no way around that.
The FTF issues hasn't been a major issue and isn't systematic like the other problems were.
Jamming is a bad term to use as it doesn't describe anything. That could be a feed problem, and ejection problem, or whatever. The feeding issues with the 930 SPX usually are due to two things: the mag extension problems and the addition of the Mesa sidesaddle. The mag extension problems are typically a bent or dented or misaligned extension, a transition area problem between the extension nut and the mag tube that allows the follower to snag, or improper spring tension. The first one should be pretty easy to spot. The second one shows when you can feed the first round or two and then the follower hangs and can be popped loose, and the final one can be diagnosed by looking at the spring. If it is something like 30" or longer, it is too long and needs to be trimmed. The Mesa sidesaddle have had a history of making functional 930s into non-functional 930s. It seems that this was due to small diameter connectors that allowed a little too much slop in the FCG of the 930, causing feeding problems. Mesa is supposed to be getting some new connectors to fix this issue, but I have heard that the new connectors or at least what were supposed to be the new connectors were having the same problem. Mesa is working on it, so hopefully for everyone that has one that will get worked out. I know there are a lot of happy Mesa users that have never had a problem with the connectors.

Back