• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

940 Pro Tactical

I like mine. My boss has an automatic clay thrower with a wobbler, a vendor has another and I have a foot activated one. We make clay pidgeon storms to empty the magazine tubes with.

- Holosun 507K sight
- Magpul MS4 sling
- Esstac 7 round velcro shotgun cards
- Modified choke installed for clays

I’m left handed, I make every gun ambidextrous so my right handed daughter (and others) can use it too. Ambi mods:

- Drilled Noveske QD cups into both sides of stock
- BCM QDs on both sides of barrel clamp
- Surefire M640DF light on 1” picatinny ring clamp

SG0TYWw.jpg

Last edited:
Hey all.
Picked up one of these this past week.
I've put a couple dozen rounds through it over the weekend, and while - in general - I like it, here are the troubles I have experienced:
1) From the factory, you're supposed to be able to eject rounds from the magazine by depressing the elevator and the bolt release at the same time. Mine did not - the release button didn't have enough play to fully pull the shell stop off the brass base, and the elevator lip had a bit of a bump impeding the shell's exit, as well. I have largely fixed this with a little cautious sanding: the back end of the bolt release is now sanded at a 15-20 degree angle and can rock far enough back to fully clear the brass, and the elevator lip got touched up lightly to smooth off the bump. A little more and it will allow the shell to fully clear - As it stands, the shell still needs a jostle from my thumb.
2) My barrel clamp (with my factory-installed Choate extension, not Nordic like some folks have claimed to have received) drives the extension and barrel apart, leaving a kink in the tube approximately where the extension and magazine meet inside the nut. This prevents the follower from passing that section of the magazine, and limiting the number of shells you can put in to 4 or 5 if you do it while the clamp is installed. Take the clamp off, load it, and reinstall the clamp and it will not feed - the spring and follower get hung p at that aforementioned kink. I've even swapped followers and spring, thinking a shorter follower might resolve the issue, and got the same results.
It seems like this is not a problem everyone is having, though; Not a whiff of it on the usual suspect YT channels, and outside of the Reddit thread I stumbled across no hint of these troubles, either - it makes me think this may be an issue limited to a specific production run(s).
I've contacted Mossberg and we're discussing sending the shotgun in for warranty service - I've included detailed instructions on recreating my issues for them, so hopefully they can track down the issues and get it fixed up right.
In the meantime, for anyone else who has one - Do you have any of the above issues? If you remove your barrel clamp, does the magazine extension run pretty parallel to the barrel, or does it rise up to meet the bottom of the muzzle? If you are, what have you done, or what has Mossberg done, to remedy these issues for you?

I’m not here to be a Debbie Downer but in my opinion any devise that has to be removed prior to or to facilitate disassembly is not a good idea. Shotgun disassembly should be straight forward with no tools required. This may be an outdated philosophy.
I get the increased capacity issue but you need to get a factory solution that works or iterate to a custom solution that works.
Simplicity is a good thing.
IMG_1530.jpeg

I agree with above - however the only pass I give is on barrel clamps since they do necessitate a lot of magazine extensions (newer 590's and 870's in general) - on my 870 the factory extension/barrel clamp is just a phillips head and my Magpul clamp on my 590 (which gives me ambi QD's) is just an allen wrench so not too bad - is it a little more annoying to takedown/disassemble, sure, but for real world uses its fine.

Just a note or a point, it may sound good to find a used 930 and mod it out however some new Mossberg 930 parts are in short supply such as certain barrels like the 18 1/2" security barrel. The aftermarket stuff for the 930 can still be had like OR3GUN or SBE Precision.

Recently, I was able to track down a new Mossberg 940 Pro Tactical and Remington V3 Tactical to purchase for HD and range use:
20230930_001733.jpg20230923_000245.jpg
These will be stripped down and lubed up before I hit the range with them for a break-in w/ 00 buck, slugs, and even the cheap-o "Brand-X" birdshot). As I stated elsewhere, my initial intent was to keep everything "stock" as much as possible (yeah, right...) but I'm going to install an even larger GG&G enhanced charging handle on both, a Scalarworks Sync mount on the 940 (just in case I want to add a full-size red dot in the future), and better rear sling mounts for both stocks. Mossberg made their M-Lok barrel clamp out of plastic for some unknown reason, so this will certainly have to be upgraded at some point to something made of metal to mitigate bending/warping. I've already swapped the front brass bead sight on the V3 for a red fiber optic sight similar to the 940, and I had an extra Sync Mount for a Remington that fits perfectly & flush for a possible red dot. We were watching "The Blues Brothers" the other night on Blu-Ray, so the names "Jake & Elwood" stuck in my mind for these two semi-auto blasters...
20230930_230949.jpg20230930_231009.jpg
Going to need some more hook & loop shotshell cards for the receivers and some shotshell holder for the buttstocks. More to follow soon, if I can break away from work and hit the range(s)...
20230930_231232.jpg20230930_231220.jpg

I’m not here to be a Debbie Downer but in my opinion any devise that has to be removed prior to or to facilitate disassembly is not a good idea. Shotgun disassembly should be straight forward with no tools required. This may be an outdated philosophy.
I get the increased capacity issue but you need to get a factory solution that works or iterate to a custom solution that works.
Simplicity is a good thing.
View attachment 29290
I agree with you with respect to barrel clamps. This is something that I’ve gone back-and-forth in my head about. I did eventually put a barrel clamp on my 930, which can be removed with a common allen wrench. I used the shotgun a little bit before I put on the barrel clamp and there’s not a lot of play. Even without the mag tube clamp the mag tube extension is still pretty rigid. I also am a firm believer in being able to field strip one’s weapon without tools.
I believe my final decision was based on the fact that I built a gun for competition and not combat. If I use it for competition, I usually bring a small set of Gunsmith tools with me, so, bearing that in mind, I decided to leave the barrel clamp on there.

Do you know if the barrel clamp that fits on a 930 will work properly on a 940? Is there any aftermarket clamps that will work on a 940?

I just tried both the regular and heavy wall barrel clamps from Nordic and neither of the two work on my 940. The stock plastic clamp is garbage...

Just purchased a 940 PT last night on GB. I opted to get the one without the red dot because I prefer the green dot. Are there any issues with mounting a 507C ? Screw size, length etc? I bought this gun for HD and I eventually want to do some 3 gun after I move up the ranks a bit in my current competition.

As is, it's set up for a 507K and not the larger 507C.

This is why I went ahead and purchased the Scalarworks Sync mount for the lowest possible mount with a 507C or a Trijicon RMR/SRO.

Or, you can go with a normal pic rail and then add a mount/riser for the 507C but this way will be a bit taller.

As is, it's set up for a 507K and not the larger 507C.

This is why I went ahead and purchased the Scalarworks Sync mount for the lowest possible mount with a 507C or a Trijicon RMR/SRO.

Or, you can go with a normal pic rail and then add a mount/riser for the 507C but this way will be a bit taller.
Very good to know. I have the 507c on my G45 and was going to move it to the 904 and get the new 507comp for my pistol.

Got the gun today, Disassembled it to clean out the excess oil, there was a lot, lubed it a little heavy for first run, installed a 507k green dot and put it back together. So far I like it! Will shoot it tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0769.jpeg
    IMG_0769.jpeg
    442.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0771.jpeg
    IMG_0771.jpeg
    628 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0770.jpeg
    IMG_0770.jpeg
    553.2 KB · Views: 7
I'm going without a red dot on mine (for now) simply because I want to add one to the V3 Tactical at/around the same time for comparisons, and when I do it'll be the larger 507C. I do like the neat, compact form factor the 507K has.

I'm going without a red dot on mine (for now) simply because I want to add one to the V3 Tactical at/around the same time for comparisons, and when I do it'll be the larger 507C. I do like the neat, compact form factor the 507K has.
I hunted high and low for a K to C style adapter with no luck. I would have gone that route for sure. I don’t mind the K though. Good site picture

Just shot ,my gun for the first time and the only issue I am having atm is I can only get 4 rounds int he magazine. It feels like it is against a stopper or somethign where the extension screws on. I have had it apart and there are no limiting devices present and the tube and extension bore look to be clean and free of any blemishes. I also tried loosening the clamp and even removing it with no change. Any thoughts?

Just shot ,my gun for the first time and the only issue I am having atm is I can only get 4 rounds int he magazine. It feels like it is against a stopper or somethign where the extension screws on. I have had it apart and there are no limiting devices present and the tube and extension bore look to be clean and free of any blemishes. I also tried loosening the clamp and even removing it with no change. Any thoughts?
The mag spring might be stacking up? (ie: too long?) Sometimes the spring can snag on the junction between the mag tube and extension?

So after pulling it down again and inspecting everything I have found no issues. I reassembled and the same thing, this time I kept the tube nut tight against the fore grip and with the clamp off, I loosened the extension a few turns, I was able to get a 5th round in then it stopped again. I loosened it a few more turns and the last 2 rounds finally when in. I then tightened the extension back down and installed the clamp with the magazine at full capacity. I have unloaded and reloaded it and it is working at the moment. Going to go shoot it again in a minute to make sure it is cycling ok. May just be a new gun thing needing to get broke in I am hoping. I did call Mossberg and they are sending a new spring and follower to be sure. They said if it persists then I will need to send it in to them and I am hoping it does not come to that.

The mag spring might be stacking up? (ie: too long?) Sometimes the spring can snag on the junction between the mag tube and extension?
Thats what I am thinking it is and just needing to be used and broke in. Other than that, the gun shoots great, very controllable recoil, I think I am going to like it.

Mine had similar issues with loading shells smoothly and to full mag tube capacity, but I resolved them by: 1) full stripping/cleaning/lubing, 2) adjusting the mag tube ext cap and barrel clamp to allow me to load 7 a-zoom 2 3/4" metal snap caps, 3) keep it loaded that way for 1 full week, and 4) remove snap caps and readjust/tighten the mag tube ext cap and barrel clamp accordingly for running the shells I'll primarily use for HD & range. All of this was done completely BEFORE the first shells were fired, and no problems ever since. A fine shooting and handling semi auto shotgun, and is good to go if you're looking to stay under $1K.

Back