• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

940 Shell Capacity Increase?

It may have a "hunting" limiter placed in the mag tube. They are usually fairly easy to remove.

Which model of 940 are you referring to? JM Pro, 940 Tactical, Hunting model? Assuming a hunting model, I would think there should be a 'limiting' device to reduce the number of rounds that can be loaded, i.e., 'plug. How many rounds is it supposed to hold as you bought it? Unscrew the cap at the end of the mag tube, remove the spring and tilt the mag tube down to allow the 'plug to come out. Install the spring and re-attach the cap.

Last edited:
I don't have a 940 however I remember reading about barrel extensions and found the writeup below on the Nordic web site. Hope this helps.

The Mossberg 930/940 JM Pro Series shotguns come factory equipped with Nordic Components +4 (22″ barrel) or +5 (24″ barrel) magazine extensions. The capacity of the factory magazine without the extension is 4.

To expand the capacity of the JM Pro, the extension tube itself may be replaced with a different length, or an additional extension tube may be added with an MXT Coupler. The same extension nut and end cap may be reused, but a new spring will be required.

Regards

There are two versions of the JM Pro, a 5 shot and a 10 shot. Assuming you have the 5 shot, you will need to get a magazine tube extension in order to load more shells.

Last edited:
Fix: Unconfirmed. Removed the magazine and removed plastic inserts at both ends (I used a wooded dowel to tap it out). Replaced the original spring with a Wolff 12 Ga EP Magazine Spring. Capacity is now 9+1. I have been able to check the loading and cycling but I haven't been able to test fire. I will let you know the outcome.

Fix: Unconfirmed. Removed the magazine and removed plastic inserts at both ends (I used a wooded dowel to tap it out). Replaced the original spring with a Wolff 12 Ga EP Magazine Spring. Capacity is now 9+1. I have been able to check the loading and cycling but I haven't been able to test fire. I will let you know the outcome.
Hey BCastelow, Any updates ? I just ordered my Wolff spring as well - I am in the exact same situation as you with my JM Pro - I am about to remove those plastic inserts for a larger Mag. VERY curious on your test fire results.

UPDATE: Just ordered a Nordic +5 tube and installed it instead. Easier and cleaner to just replace the tube. added the spring and Good to Go!

Last edited:
Back