• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ADJUSTABLE POWER: Hunting Scope Options

I have used some Tasco and Center Points that worked better then good Bushnell or Nikons... With the cheaper scopes it is "Luck of the Draw" for sure but when you get a good one, they are GOOD! Nothing like a Night Force or U.S. Optics but works great for any Regular American Hunter :)

(I will own a Trijicon 1-4 with the Green Triangle some day... Some day)

I second owning and trijicon someday now i jyust need to get better paying job find some where to camp for 5 years and a somewhere i can get 5 years worth of MREs and ill have one at the 5 year mark when i start digging up all the coffee cans i buried so i wouldnt spend the money lol

i just went and got one of the centerpoint 4x-16x40's with the light up red and green recticals ill repost tomorrow on how it works as long as it aint completly horrible weather.

Ok even though it was alittle cold to day still got out and tried it out only put 20 rounds down range but after 3 had it sighted in and just couldnt help but shot afew more used a buddys boresighter the scope takes some getting use to or atleast it did for me but once i got use to it it shot very well did really mark out 100 yard we just kind walked of what looked bout like 100 yard on his farm and set up afew targets one paper with 3 empty paint cans and yes we did pick them back up after we were done and yes they were all 3 completely empty with nothing at all in them he left the tops taped down overnight and until bout 4 to day but back to what i was saying it seemed to group good it was really cold so i was shaking alittle from it but last group of 3 were less then 2 inchs. All in all it seemed to do what i need it to do and i think less then 2 inchs will take a deer or boar down as long as i aim it the center of the vitals i shouldnt have a problem out of it.

When i find afew more boxes of shells ill probaly tweak it some more to see if i cant get those 3 shot groups inside an inch will repost on whether i do or not.

The scope seems to hold zero fine from the recoil seen as .308 aint that bad recoil should hold up over afew boxes of ammo atleast seen as ever deer season I resight it in i think it will hold up nicely for me.

Nice!

I'm sure you'll be able to close those groups in nicely when your teeth aren't chattering... :D

yea true i went out nothing think aobut to excited to shot and just put on a thin jacket and the temp was about 40 then by the time i got down to the farm and got everything set up it was down to about 35 when we were done it was more like 30ish

I just purchased a Nikon Monarch Africa with the #4 reticle. It's a 1-4x20 scope. Bought it for a large-bore heavy shooter I have. I've not received it yet, so can't speak from experience, but if it's even half as effective for 200 yards and under as the guys claim on another forum I'm active on, I'll be getting one for my Mossie 500. The kind of hunting for both firearms is similar. I hope to use this scope on Deer, Hog and Elk. From what I've been learning, too many people "over-scope" their rifles and shotguns. I've got a beautiful 3-9x40 Leupold that I truly cherish.............but to be honest, it's hardly ever set higher than 4x. This new scope is light, has super-quick target acquisition, and at 1x and shooting below 100 yards (like most of the animals I'll be hunting) can be used with both eyes open............because it's exactly 1x. And, of course, it's a Nikon! I've always been partial to Nikon glass and from what I'm hearing, this scope won't disappoint. I'm mounting it on a Leupold QR base so I can remove and reinstall the scope as desired. I have some fabulous fiber optic sights on the rifle that I enjoy using...................so there will be times the scope is off. The nice thing about the Leupold QR base is the scope will go back on within 1/2 MOA accuracy. As soon as I get this scope mounted and tested out, I'll get back to this thread and review it.

I have a Field & Stream on my 500 for deer hunting. Only sighted to 50 yards now, but even then it's dead on. All 5 slug holes touching! It's just 4x32, but definitely does its job.

The postman just delivered the Leupold QR base and QR rings. It's a shame I don't have the scope.........and will have to wait "indefinitely" for it to arrive, but "dems da breaks"! :D Got the base installed and I'm very pleased to verify the open sights can still be used with it installed. I love my fiber optic sights on this rifle and was worried the base would be too tall. I'm not so sure how that will work when I install the sight on my Mossie 500...........but we'll see when the time comes.

I bought a Bushnell Banner with CF 500 reticle for my ATR 30-06. I figured it was better than a TASCO, but I know nothing about scopes. The only thing Im not fond of is that the way Im used to shooting is with iron sights and cheek on the stock, and with the scope I have to sit my cheek higher up... growing pains I guess. im pretty sure I have the scope set pretty decent since I draw up and I barely have to adjust my cheek placement.... any help on proper scope placement without using levels would be great... I just set it on, and put rifle on table and got cross hairs as straight as I could. I still have yet to shoot it though :(

Thought I'd throw another scope into the mix here :D I've always been pretty skimpy on my optics choices... I never really followed the "Your scope needs to be at least as much as your gun" train of thought. So... I went through my share of Barska, Centerpoint, NcStar :eek: , and a few others all with decent success...

Until one day, I decided to pony up a few extra dollars, and spend a little more on a quality American made optic... the Redfield Revolution 2-7x32mm. If you don't know much about the company.. they used to be out of Denver and were in business from 1909-1998, focusing on quality-nonsense optics for the American Hunter. In 2008, Leupold bought the Redfield company name and optics to continue a line of high quality and great value... best of all... they are made in the great state of Jefferson right here in the US of A!

67085-2.jpg

I only have great things to say about this scope.... when you pick it up it certainly doesn't feel like a sub $200 optic. The matte anodizing is tough and has held up to wear in tear well. The glass is crisp and clear, certainly not indicative to its price point. I believe parallax is set at 50 yds and eye relief is a generous 3-4 inches.

67085-5.jpg

I chose to go with their Accu-Range reticle which has been easy to use and is surprisingly accurate! It's calibrated to compensate for various different calibers in the most common bullet weights. I first had this mounted on my AR and using 69 and 72 grain bullets... the reticle was certainly close enough to make positive hits at the given distances. With a 200yds zero in the middle of the cross hairs... it is supposed to help make good shots out to 600yds (although I only pushed mine to 400)

67085-4.jpg

The Revolution series comes with finger adjustable windage and elevation knobs that work well for its intended purpose. While not target grade... they do have positive clicks that are easily adjusted in the field.

Specs are as follows:

Magnification: 2-7x
Tube Diameter: 1"
Turret Style: Capped, finger adjust, Zero Reset
Zero Stop: No
Adjustments: 1/4MOA
Adjustment Range:
Windage: 65MOA

Elevation: 65MOA
Objective Diameter: 41mm
Eyepiece Diameter: 40mm
Eye Relief: 3.7"-4.2"