• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Aim Sports Full Length Rail

Itsricmo

.30-06
Okay, I will start off by saying, THERE ARE PICTURES! I am just working on getting them linked here so they don't take up the entire page! :mrgreen:

Link to the Rail: http://www.aimsportsinc.com/catalog/index.php?l=product_detail&p=568

I originally saw the Aim Sports Full Length Rail in another post here on MossbergOwners. I thought it looked really nice and although I had never heard of the company, bought one and gave it a chance. I bought the rail from AMAZON for a little over $50 and was shipped free.

Upon opening the box, I was impressed with the machining and coating job on the rail. Quality is definitely there and the finish is great! First impressions are always the best, until you go to fit it onto your gun. The fit is TIGHT, and I mean like... REALLY TIGHT. Scratched the finish on my barrel a little bit and I am sure it has since I shot it today. The fit to the receiver is not so tight however, it actually has a gap and A LOT of play, which accounts into accuracy later. So the fit is tight on one end and loose on the other.

Looking at it mounted on my M500 looks pretty sweet, aesthetically its a badd*** looking gun. But are looks what matters? No functionality matter! So too the range I went this morning. Again everything starting out GREAT!

I was using Winchester Super X 1oz slugs, they always treated me well without breaking the bank.
I haven't received my DDupleks or Brenneke KO's yet.

Believe it or not, there are 3 rounds here at 30yds:
3shot.jpg

There was not another group close to 6inches... I didn't take any pictures of the next groups because I got what I thought was a flyer.. in reality all the shots following were flyers!
One 5 shot group measured an awkward 2ft and the tightest was about 7.5". I investigated and came to the conclusion that it is the back portion of the rail wobbling around and the wobble cannot be fixed. :cry: I just out of curiosity put my red dot on and "sighted it in"... worse than my iron sights.

So I called it quits 30 minutes after starting, drove home with my tail between my legs and made a conclusion:

The rail, while looking good and being made really well just doesn't fit well enough to be functional. If you are a (and I say this lightly) "Mall Ninja" and just want a really sweet looking gun this rail is for you!!! :mrgreen: However, if you are like me and will be using it for hunting various game, than you want to steer FAR AWAY! I will be returning the rail to AMAZON and purchasing a Leatherman MUT Tactical tool :D :D :D with the proceeds.

I had high hopes for this rail, as it is easy on the wallet and still looks really good. Just didn't pan out I guess... how does the old saying go? "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!"

Here you can see the what the entire gun looks like
fullrail.jpg

This is the front of the barrel where it clamps down, the scratches didn't show up well when I emailed them to myself
frontend.jpg

AND this is the GAP that is between the rail and top of receiver, it's approx. 1/8"
receiver.jpg

Thats a bummer...
I know you can only screw in the receiver bolts so far, But could there be some sort of washer on the top side to help snug it down, Or even some sort of shim?
If you get a chance before you send it back, I would like to see some pic's of the mounts.
Best of luck.

lol I already have it packaged back up :p I want that MUT tool haha... umm the mounts are pretty much just holes drilled down through the rail and a recess area for the bolts so they don't obstruct anything you may want to mount:

Sux man! It does look cool, but I know what youre sayin, I've had to back off things I wanted to do too in the past...

Ill do something else to make myself happy haha Im thinking of selling my current stocks and forend and building something else

Sorry to hear about the rail not working out. Did you email them directly yet? Also if your looking to try a new setup, let me know; I have a bunch sitting at my house that I would be willing to trade if your interseted.

DH, yeah I have emailed them a few times but not a single reply. Customer service is a little lax appearently. I think they are partners with UTG because they have a lot of similar and by similar I mean EXACT same products. Example: UTG Ruger 10/22 Commando quad rail... they both have the exact same model and pics but each has a different name

And as far as the stocks and stuff I was thinking on trying to sell them to get some molla towards that new MVP :mrgreen:

Back