• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

An extremely loaded (pardon the pun) question.

Tom396

.30-06
There is probably no "good" answer for this. But that doesn't mean the question isn't worth asking.

First off, disregard price. I never do that, but for this hypothetical, I'm gonna try. I want to know which 2.75" 12 gauge buckshot round would you place a million dollar bet on it going boom. No consideration to patterning. No consideration to accuracy. Only consideration is it going boom. Rounds will be fired until a brand just goes click, then that brand is eliminated. It goes boom, we keep on shooting. Could take 200 rounds, could take 20000 rounds (yes, the guns will be given reasonable maintenance). Which brand/shell would you place your million dollar bet on?

Tough choice, huh? Especially if you have brands that have NEVER gone click on you. Give it a shot (again, pardon the pun) though. I also know that some guns like to eat one brand but not another, yet the same brand ammo runs great in another gun.

How about this? Three different popular brands of shotguns, and add up the number of rounds fired before they go click in each brand of shotgun? I don't mean to make it complicated, but it almost has to be.

I'm looking to learn from other's experience, that it all, I swear. Take care. Tom Worthington.

I have yet to have a shell not fire actually.

If I were betting, lets say trusting my life and the lives of my loved ones, I'm goin with Federal or Hornady. For the firearm; My Mossbergs of course!!! :D

Reason for my choice is performance based, though I know in your statement you said performance isnt a prerequisite...

AND!
Dont Forget To Vote for a winner in the St. Patricks Day photo contest for the $50 Brownells gift card! The topic is found at the top of every section on the forum, including this one! ;)

I do not have a favorite brand that I would say is more reliable than any other in 12 ga. Every shell I have chambered has functioned and never given me a "click" instead of a boom.

For your question I would say ANY ammo manufacture can ship out a bad round of ammo from the plant and that does not make it a brand to stay away from. But since you bring up a question of gun.. then I would go with a pump over semi to function for 1000's of rounds before a failure, make it a 590A1 for me.

IMG_2019.jpg

Tom396 said:
I want to know which 2.75" 12 gauge buckshot round would you place a million dollar bet on it going boom. No consideration to patterning. No consideration to accuracy. Only consideration is it going boom.

My million would go on my own rounds. I can inspect every component ….the wad, hull, powder, primer, shot.Fill everyone, perform every step.

and as far as a gun it would be a single shot break action 410 ga Winchester

Now I know you guys have run through a lot more rounds than I have. And yet, you've never had one, single fail to fire?! :shock: :shock: Take care. Tom Worthington.

The only time I have had something not work has been operator error, like a shortstroked pump.

Other than that, i had the .40 reload blow up in a Glock. Never my shotguns.

The only shotgun shell that did not function for me was a .410 guage about 50 years ago, and then it was probably the fact that it was left in my my dad's truck thru the winter before I found it and tried to shoot them. I reloaded many 1000's of .20 guage years ago and none of them failed to do their job. If you take reloading into consideration I would say they would function the best. Just my .02 worth.

Back