1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Any home generator geeks here? I learned something interesting about my biggest home gen

Discussion in 'Survival' started by nitesite, Jul 19, 2022.

1. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ Lurker

So far we have been extremely lucky. In 30 years we have only had a couple of unplanned outages that lasted more than an hour

We did have an outage that lasted four hours, 10 years ago. But our grid here is extremely reliable.

Of course when the S hits the F, the electric grid may stay down. In that case I can’t imagine finding fuel to run the generator for more than a day or two either, Unless you keep a large amount on hand.

Here it is illegal for residential people to keep more than 1 gallon of gas in a gas can at the residence. Now you can buy a 5 gallon gas can anywhere. Go figure…

But I don’t think it’s illegal if you keep the gas tank on your generator full. I don’t think there’s a limit on that size. If your generator has a 200 gallon gas tank and it’s only 12 hp, it is gonna run for a long time.
  2. Bobster

Bobster Lurker

Back when Hurricane Charley swept through in 2004, we lost power for a week. Many gas stations did not have back up generators and the ones that did soon ran out of gas to sell. Gas cans, generators and tarps soon sold out everywhere. I fortunately had five 5gal containers full of fuel that I was tight-lipped about. ;)

I was in Home Depot buying a chain and oil for my saw when I noticed a pallet of generators wrapped in plastic. I asked the guy "are those for sale", he said "yes they are" as he pulled the plastic wrap off, so I bought the first one off the top and brought it home. We had been without power for a couple days at this point so I figured I would be the hero. My demented wife is like "We don't need that! We'll have power on soon--go return it!" :rolleyes: My neighbor across the street noticed it and came over asked where I had bought it and ended up owning it. We suffered for 5 more days after that... :( About a month later, Frances swept through and we were without power for another 6 days. The wife is like "We need a generator!" :rolleyes: at which point any new stock had all been transferred north to supply hurricane recipients there. Used gens were going for double the new price...
    CaddmannQ and nitesite like this.