• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

any ohio hunters?

tony10point

Copper BB
hello im new on this forum but got another new mossberg and anyway is there any ohio deerhunters here?im doing lots of research to hunt in ohio and maybe move there. so anyone want a good conversation on ohio hunting or wants to give a few pointers let me know, thanks guys..

Hey man, I'm in Ohio about 40 miles north and east of Cincy!

I dont do a ton of hunting, but there are some pretty big white tail deer around here, as well as coyote, turkey, fox... We have em all in our back yard!

What do you need to know, I'll help as much as I'm able!!!

Brad.

hey great, well im looking to do some bowhunting, me and a friend want to get into filming and we have a good opportunity if we do it right.but what im finding is theres not much private property left in ohio to get permission to hunt. now if you know anyone who has some land that they would let 2 guys bowhunt great, i know people do lease the deer rights and i would be interested in that as well.if you know an older farmer that can use extra money for his taxes or a friend who may own some land but dont really hunt or even an area that doesnt get much hunting pressure that is public hunting.we are 2 honest, no b.s. kind of guys. wew respect the land owner and the animal.were not a ''hunting club'' that brings 25 guys in and shoots everything that moves. we just want to manage some good ground to grow big deer. thanks.

Yeah, Its hard sayin. I know a few people who will let me hunt, but the properties arent huge. There are still some decent sized farms around here, and I'm told if you approach them from a position of being willing to work to be able to hunt, theyre often receptive to that, but I havent tried.

yeah sounds good, and i enjoy helping thats the thing, some hunters want all the benefits with giving nothing in return.which county are you in, is the terrain steep?whats a good slug set up for the gun i bought, and what about a scope, whats your preference for a shotgun scope.sorry for all the questions, i really appreciate alll the help.

I'm in Clinton county. Lots of good land out here, we're surrounded by country and farms. Nice place.

Nothing real steep around here, between here and Columbus its mostly all flat. Some hills but not steep.

What kind of gun and how long a barrel? I have had near identical results with Federal LE TruBall low recoil and Winchester Ranger low recoil. I have also used Federal PowerShok and Winchester Super X. The Federal had similar POA to POI characteristics as the first two mentioned.

Thats through a 20" cylinder bore. Your model may likely be different. Just gotta test em out and see whatr you like and what clicks with your gun.

I dont have a bunch of scope experience. I have seen some on here with decent set ups and scopes with slug barrels, just dont remember where to find them on here, lol!

is there much work out there?for a nurse and im a metal fabricater and welder. but did lot other things, construction carpentry.i want to move and keep thinking ohio. my fiance is a lpn.i really dislike it here in pa. i live where, i dont know if you watch news but the kids who beat up and killed the illegal immigrant and then the cops tried to cover it up,in Shenandoah, thats where im from, it made national news. we want to get out of here.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this Tony.

My wife is about to finish school in August as a CMA, certified Medical Assistant. Theres plenty of work in the medical field.

I to am a welder/fabricator. I was a structural welder for 10 years and was then laid off when everything fell out a couple years ago. If you have TIG/MIG experience, especially stainless and pipe, your chances will be better. I searched for a year and a half. My problem is/was, my experience was not broad enough. I finally found a place willing to take me on with minimal experience with TIG and MIG. I easily passed 5 or 6 certs for spray arc, flux core, stainless, stainless to carbon, carbon, TIG stainless and TIG carbon.

Much of what I found is that places arent paying what skilled trade was paying. They want to pay $13 an hour for a combo welder, where I was making $18 plus for stick welding.

Moral of the story, there is work. The more you know the better you'll be though you may be compromising on pay a little. Good news is there are areas where property taxes are very low and you can buy a house for considerably less than you can rent, especially if youre willing to drive a little to get to work. I drive about an hour each way, sometimes more if theres traffic, but our property taxes are only $540 for the year and mortgage is around $200 less monthly than what we were paying in rent.

Have you looked into the gas fields up there in PA?

Back