• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Any Recommendations for a 500 Noob?

willu707

Copper BB
I just purchased a Vang Comp Systems modified Mossberg 500 from a local gunsmith. This is my first firearm that I have personally owned. What shells do you guys recommend? The gun will primarily be used for HD and range trips. I was thinking a 2 3/4" 00 Buckshot, will that work fine? I also want to try some slugs. Thanks for any info

What will you be shooting? Clays? Random targets?

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.

Welcome too Mossberg Owners from Central PA! Great choice in first gun!
Vang Comp does some awesome work and many of us will be jealous for sure :)

I can Recommend the:
Federal Flite Control 00 Buck
Winchester Mil-spec 2-3/4" 00 Buck
Remington 2-3/4" Sluggers
Brenneke 2-3/4" K.O. Slug
Brenneke 3" Black Magic Magnum
Federal 2-3/4" Rifled Tru-Ball Slug
Federal Power Shok 2-3/4" Rifled Hollow Point Slug

For Home defense you may want to think more on the 00 Buck or maybe even #4 Buck. If you have occupants, family or otherwise, in the same house or building it has less (and I know this is a highly argued topic) penetration. Leaving the chance or injuring a bystander slimmer. Remember we are always reliable for our shot placement and the potential damage for a misplaced shot.

willu707,

To start with, I recommend getting some #7 to #8 bird shot, or target loads to run your gun through the paces. It will be lighter on recoil, and cheaper on your wallet as you get to know your new shotty. As far as HD, I have Low Recoil 00 Buck, and Low Recoil Slugs (What ever I can get my hands on).

Frank

Nice job picking up a great weapon.
You probably know by now that VCS improves all 00 buck patterns other than those with the Flight Control wad, Federal and Hornady both offer HD 00 Buck with the Flight Control wad. Every other ammo in the world will shoot a tighter pattern with the Vang Comp barrel.

It’s one of those modifications that a lot of folks said were obsolete since the invention of Flight Control wad.
I argue that if FC waded ammo ever dries up , one will still have a barrel that shoots HD ammo to its best potential.
More times than not I would be told “that will never happen, blah,blah”…….these highly respected internet operators are fixing to look stupid here in the next year….might be feeling a bit stupid now. I can melt lead into 00 buckshot , reload them and my Vang Comp barrel makes the pattern look like $1 a pop rounds

Oli, that is incredibly awesome.

I need to try some of that home casting of buckshot; the mould isn't all that expensive.

So I bought my first box of ammo for my mossy. I went with one 25 round box of Remington Pheasant Load, it's 2 3/4" 7.5 shot @1330 fps. Good to break in?

Also, thanks for the kind words everybody.

nitesite said:
Oli, that is incredibly awesome.

I need to try some of that home casting of buckshot; the mould isn't all that expensive.

You would be far better at it than me. That is one tough mold to get to drop all 18 good and round.
It has to run very hot and the lead has to be overly hot.
Once you start getting it running don’t stop lol.
Also if you do , they are a true .33 - .34. so they don’t stack 3x3 very good in a wad. Hence all the 10 pellet load data for putting them in wads per Lyman#5.......the 10 pellet loads are awesome though. Even stacking them 2x2 can make a tight chambering round depending on load.
If you want to try mine let me know. It’s a bit scored because it has got so hot a couple times but it still works.....I have some loads too that will save you a bunch of experimenting

Now the slug casting is where its at, fun and never a struggle .

willu707 said:
So I bought my first box of ammo for my mossy. I went with one 25 round box of Remington Pheasant Load, it's 2 3/4" 7.5 shot @1330 fps. Good to break in?

other than a semi auto I never buy into the break in a gun thing......just choot em and they smooth out with use.

oli700 said:
willu707 said:

other than a semi auto I never buy into the break in a gun thing......just choot em and they smooth out with use.
Then I think I will fire these 25 off, then move onto to some fun stuff like 00 buck or slugs.

Now you’re talking. If you were burning though a butt load of shells doing trainings or classes then birdshot is good cheap way to go. but for blasting and shooting patterns, steels the heavy ammo is funner and gives you an idea how your shotgun will handle, recoil, pattern and cycle with real defensive ammo.

Back