• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anybody a Computer Geek like---me?

LOL, ya I've been into computers since the late 90's. I had a late start in life with them but once I had a taste I couldn't get enough. I had never used a mouse or even touch one so for an Income tax return present to ourselves the Wife and I went out and bought our first system. It was a PIII 500 made by NEC and had half decent specs for that era. I didn't take long before I found I couldn't game because the video card wasn't upto it being it was integrated Intel graphics and the Hard drive didn't have enough space and so on and so on. By the time tax time came around again I was building my own systems thanks to a local computer shop that kinda took me under their wing and helped to teach me the ropes. It was a father son shop and the son at the time was about 13 years old and his knowledge was amazing for his age. Between the internet and these guys I was able to learn very quick and have been building systems ever since and have probably built close to 500 systems since then.

Anybody else share this disease with me along with gunitus?? :D

Guess not, a dying breed. :p

Well here is a pic of my system that I built over the last couple months.

It's a Corsair Obsidian 800D case, Gigabyte 890XA UD3, Phenom II X6 1090T,4Ghz w/Corsair H50, 2x2GB GSKILL FLARE 1800Mhz DDR3, XFX 5870 Cypress XT, OCZ Vertex Turbo 60GB SSD, WD 500GB Black Edition, Klipsch ProMedia 4.1, ASUS DVDRW, OCZ Modstream 700w PSU, Gateway 24" widescreen, Saitek Cyborg Gaming Keyboard/Razer Deathadder, Win7 64 Ultimate

Now Call of Duty Black Ops by next weekend and BANG BANG BANG!!!!

I am a computer nut but I have not built my own computers yet. That looks like one sweet machine you built there!

Ultimate CC said:
I am a computer nut but I have not built my own computers yet. That looks like one sweet machine you built there!

Thanks, Dan

This hobby used to eat most of my play moneys but the resurrection of my gun addiction will be eating into that budget now. :) Saving now to buy a membership to a gun club so I can go and shoot when I want to.

If I add up what this cost me, I might cry.. Just a quick tally and around $2100 into this build with everything, monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers. This started with the purchase of the Case back in March.

Case: $280
Motherboard: $150
CPU: $300
RAM: $140
Power Supply: $100
Solid State Hard Drive: $200
Radeon 5870 Video Card: $375
Corsair H50 Water CPU cooler: $85
Monitor: $200
Keyboard: $75
Mouse: $60
Speakers (8 years old) Klipsch Pro Media: $400 new

Ooooooooo, daddy likes!

Sweet set-up Dave. I've been into computers since I was VERY young. At about 2yrs old my mom figured out that the only thing that kept my attention was playing old DOS based video games. I've been a button smasher ever since. I've got an Acer Aspire 5532 that keeps me occupied while on the road and my new Droid has led me further down the path to losing the power of speech and the what's left of my social skills.

I'm a certified COD and Modern Warfare nutjob. That's the main reason I only sleep a couple hours a night. Black Ops has taken some get'n used too but I'm runnin and gunnin with authority now. You know those @holes that run around the board takin people out with ballistic knives and tomahawks? Yeah......I'm that guy, haha. There's nothin more satisfying than running straight at a guy that's firing at you with a submachine gun and stickin a tomahawk in the middle of his forehead. I get cursed A LOT!!!

PS3's my console of choice but I also put in some time on my MW2 Edition 360 Elite and the "wife's" Wii. I love bustin out Super Mario Bros. and doin speed runs to prove I still got it!

Another Gamer too!!

I played COD MW2 to level 6 prestige. Akimbo double barrels or lever shottys, people hated me too. :mrgreen:

I bought Black -ops but I'm not getting into it at all. I played most of the single player and lost interest in it and Multiplayer, if I have an hour into that I'm lucky just doesn't feel good to me. I'm still addicted to Battlefield Bad Company 2, almost level 41. I game only on PC though my son uses a PC similar to mine, the new 360 he got for Xmas and the Wii.

My username on most of my games, COD, BFBC2 is CICHLID...

Black Ops took A LOT of getn used to, but I'm into it now. Besides, the PS3 servers for MW2 were turned over to the wolves and the hackers are running wild. I play with a pretty big gaming clan and most everyone has transitioned to Black Ops. It makes a HUGE difference playing with a team.

I consider myself a computer geek because I’ve been into computers for 12 years now. I’ve been with my computer longer than my girlfriend. On my own, I was able to learn website developing, application building through visual basic, troubleshooting OS problems and assembling my own PC.

geek

balladeer said:
I consider myself a computer geek because I’ve been into computers for 12 years now. I’ve been with my computer longer than my girlfriend. On my own, I was able to learn website developing, application building through visual basic, troubleshooting OS problems and assembling my own PC.

geek

Nice!!

My specialty is computer hardware, Building and I love toying with windows too. I specialize in gaming rigs, I love to build powerful systems. My system above has been upgraded since I posted those pics of and it now it has a Nvidia GTX570 and 12GB of RAM running at 1800Mhz.. She is a true gaming beast...

$2117.00

i only spent $699.00 on my compaq presario. never again will buy anything from HP.
the computer sucks. and so does the printer. i have problems with them all the time.
last year i had my printhead go bad. it was just over a year old. but the warranty was over so i called up HP and tried to talk with them, but not one of them could speak decent english that i could understand let alone themselves ( ME:what did you just say? Habib:i'm soory i do noot recool) and then sent them emails.
for 2 months i did this. finally i found out who the head honcho at HP and sent him an email with all the emails in the email to prove my case... (so that they can look at them without thinking i'm sending them a virus) and also told him about the lack of english speaking reps....and the next week i had a new printhead.

case closed.

i'm thinking of moving to a mac next time.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
You know those @holes that run around the board takin people out with ballistic knives and tomahawks? Yeah......I'm that guy, haha.

I hate you

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I love bustin out Super Mario Bros. and doin speed runs to prove I still got it!

I like you again

You do Battlefield on PS3 ?

I am an ex-IT professional and would rather build than buy someone elses box. I will get back to this thread later with my current rig.

What you have looks good! Well done!

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME system!!!!!

I dont build my own, and I have many other things I wanna spend money on. HOWEVER! I can recognize awesomeness, and thats it for sure! In fact, I'd say the $2100 spent is well worth it.

I use to get a computer allowance from work every 2 years to get a new system or upgrade. I've spent as much as $2700 for store bought stuff and probably not as sweet as what you have.

This isn't the best of pictures but it gives the general idea. I really like your case. Those wire channels really cleaned it up. What model is that?

2011-06-12103602.jpg

Note the C.A.T. (companion accessory topper). He sees to it that when I am starting to get really focused on something to help break the monotony by placing himself between the screen and myself to protect me.

Love the sweet setup. I was actually thinkin about building my own setup. Now I know where to go if i need some answers.

Ripsnortr, The case is a Corsair Obsidian 800D which I got a very good deal on. They sell for around $250-$300 new, I got mine from a friend that received it damaged. The side panel with the window was damaged and insurance covered it and they let him keep it. I bought it for $100 and Corsair sent me a new side panel for FREE!!!

I was formally a manager for one of CompUSA's repair centers before they got bought out. I, sadly, have almost all my stuff in storage still. I go a little beyond just computers, I've been self-teaching myself to build and program micro controllers and logic processors over the last few years (the last year excluded). It's a pretty fun hobby, but it gets expensive quick. If I get my stuff out of storage any time soon I'll get some pictures up of projects I've done and a few of my systems.

Back