• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone else notice the price of ammo going up?

And places not being able to keep ammo in stock? I was poking around the usual places where I buy ammo and noticed A. Prices going up, and B. Lots of items out of stock. I recently found PMC Bronze .223 for $5.99/box of 20. At that price I was going to buy a case for 299, but they sold out quickly.

Anyway, just thought I'd bring it up and see if anyone has a good explanation for it, like the cost of metals rising and what not.

Will

BTW, Target Sports USA has a pretty good deal on 00 buck. 3.29/box of 5 for Federal 9 pellet 00 buck, and 3.49/box of 5 for Federal LE rifled slugs. Ordered a case of each the other day. Free shipping on bulk orders, these guys are great!

I've noticed. My own theory is that it is directly related to demand. Many more folks are arming themselves than ever before. Take care. Tom Worthington.

With a lot of our troops coming home I was hoping it would go down a little. A brick of .22 where I live has gone up over $2.,. :( :(

I've seen some slight increases. The Federal XM193 was $5.67 one day and $5.99 the next. Its $8 at my LGS...

I believe too that its related to demand. Folks are buyin more these days... I belive that is directly related to politics and world affairs and folks are kinda scared of the unknown.

Sorry, I dont intend to hijack the thread or turn this into political debate. Just offering my perspective on what is driving up demand.

Gawd, if I found myself having to buy plinking/practice ammo for general shooting I would probably have a damn stroke............

norcal_590 said:
BTW, Target Sports USA has a pretty good deal on 00 buck. 3.29/box of 5 for Federal 9 pellet 00 buck, and 3.49/box of 5 for Federal LE rifled slugs. Ordered a case of each the other day. Free shipping on bulk orders, these guys are great!

That is awesome! Buy it NOW cuz it won't be like that for long.

nitesite said:
norcal_590 said:

That is awesome! Buy it NOW cuz it won't be like that for long.

YES, I AGREE!!! Get it at that price while you can and thanks for sharin that info with us!

Erm, yeah. I've been depleting my stock built up from the last election $$ jump. I've added 2 rifle calibers since then. Still resisting reloading with my limited free time. Life - ARG!!

Since I am new to shooting, I don't know what prices were, but today I payed:
36$ for 150 rounds of .38 special rounds (can't remember brand, I got them for targets it was the cheapest I found)
20$ for 50 rounds of Federal .38 Spl Nyclads
20$ for 50 rounds of .357 (same brand as first .38 Spl round)
20$ for 75 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo for targets

I am going to start reloading to cut costs.

Honkey, I couldnt tell ya on any of those... though the .357 and .38 are about the same (a little less) than .45 ACP ball ammo.

I believe thats a decent deal on the 7.62, others will know better than I though! ;)

Rossignol said:
Honkey, I couldnt tell ya on any of those... though the .357 and .38 are about the same (a little less) than .45 ACP ball ammo.

I believe thats a decent deal on the 7.62, others will know better than I though! ;)

It might just be because I never paid cheaper prices, but I thought I was getting pretty good deals. It was all on sale I think. I can't wait to start reloading. Nitesite unintentionally talked me into casting my own bullets. Hopefully I will be starting next week.

Rossignol said:
Sorry, I dont intend to hijack the thread or turn this into political debate. Just offering my perspective on what is driving up demand.

I don't think this is hijacking at all.

This happens every election year. Folks start buying up guns for fear of potential changes in firearm legislation and then immediately begin stocking up on ammo. Without a planned, well timed increase in production and distribution from the manufacturer, any widespread surge in consumer buying patterns will create inventory pressures and supply shortages are inevitable. This situation will cause retailers to raise their prices. The first and most obvious reason is simply to take advantage of potential added revenue, especially on a commodity item like ammunition. A substantial price increase will also slow down consumer spending thereby making the retailer's inventory to last longer. If a retailer knows they don't have more inventory coming for a while, the only sensible thing to do from their standpoint is to raise the price. Folks will still buy ammo, but likely not in their usual quantities. I know when the prices go up at my local Wally World I find myself buying one box at a time instead of the usual two or three to add to the safe.

This is all compounded by production cycles at the manufacturer level. You may have noticed that stores like Wal-Mart will have a full stock on one caliber, but are usually sold out of the others. Most ammo factories are set up to run only a few different calibers at a time. They may run production on 9mm for an entire month before changing out all the dies and equipment to produce .45acp or other calibers. The amount of each caliber produced at a given time is based on a forecasted demand that may not account for an increase in consumer buying habits based on political factors.

The massive urbanization effort in both India and China have put a SEVERE strain on the copper supply here in the us and prices have skyrocketed in the past few years. Being that much of our ammo is copper jacketed and brass is a copper alloy it makes sense that production costs are increasing as well. Increased fuel prices have caused a rise in costs across all foreign and domestic shipping which will also raise retail prices. Add the current and unfortunate fluctuation in our dollar value and it's no surprise that we're seeing an increase in ammo prices at our local store level.

Sorry for the long winded rambling, but it's my feeling that what we're seeing is caused by a combination of factors that are affecting a wide variety of consumer products, not just ammo...

Good points LES.

Rising fuel prices for sure, and I didnt know about how production was done. I had thought about it last night and forgot to mention, metals are traded as comodities and are going to fluctuate based on the things you mentioned.

Makes sense now... Around here, there is NO .45 ACP!!! Tickin me off.

Me too.

When I go out to shoot I shoot a LOT of rounds. I like to keep a certain stock of each caliber in the safe and it's beyond frustrating when I can't replenish my supply.

My best guess, is that the higher prices of ammunition is a combination of demand coupled with an increase in transportation costs.

Transportation costs (fuel) drive the price of consumer goods up across the board. Emerging economies (China and India) drive up the cost of raw material.

Demand for factory ammunition has increased, in part because more people are buying and owning guns. New shooters are generally not into reloading. The price of reloading components has followed the same trajectory as factory ammunition. Sadly reloading is not the bargan it once was.

Surplus military ammunition has all but dried up. Thanks UN! I use to be able to get a 140 round battle pack of SA 7.62 Nato for 20-25 bucks. Now it's a challenge just trying to find a battle pack of .308 surplus ammo for under a hundred bucks.

When it comes to plentiful and affordable ammo...thing of the past.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Rossignol said:

I don't think this is hijacking at all.

This happens every election year. Folks start buying up guns for fear of potential changes in firearm legislation and then immediately begin stocking up on ammo. Without a planned, well timed increase in production and distribution from the manufacturer, any widespread surge in consumer buying patterns will create inventory pressures and supply shortages are inevitable. This situation will cause retailers to raise their prices. The first and most obvious reason is simply to take advantage of potential added revenue, especially on a commodity item like ammunition. A substantial price increase will also slow down consumer spending thereby making the retailer's inventory to last longer. If a retailer knows they don't have more inventory coming for a while, the only sensible thing to do from their standpoint is to raise the price. Folks will still buy ammo, but likely not in their usual quantities. I know when the prices go up at my local Wally World I find myself buying one box at a time instead of the usual two or three to add to the safe.

This is all compounded by production cycles at the manufacturer level. You may have noticed that stores like Wal-Mart will have a full stock on one caliber, but are usually sold out of the others. Most ammo factories are set up to run only a few different calibers at a time. They may run production on 9mm for an entire month before changing out all the dies and equipment to produce .45acp or other calibers. The amount of each caliber produced at a given time is based on a forecasted demand that may not account for an increase in consumer buying habits based on political factors.

The massive urbanization effort in both India and China have put a SEVERE strain on the copper supply here in the us and prices have skyrocketed in the past few years. Being that much of our ammo is copper jacketed and brass is a copper alloy it makes sense that production costs are increasing as well. Increased fuel prices have caused a rise in costs across all foreign and domestic shipping which will also raise retail prices. Add the current and unfortunate fluctuation in our dollar value and it's no surprise that we're seeing an increase in ammo prices at our local store level.

Sorry for the long winded rambling, but it's my feeling that what we're seeing is caused by a combination of factors that are affecting a wide variety of consumer products, not just ammo...

I agree with you on the timing. I also don't intent to hijack the thread, but have you noticed how even the online vendors seem to be having a hard time keeping the popular guns themselves in stock now too? I sure notice it at the local gunshop. Take care. Tom Worthington.

honkey said:
I can't wait to start reloading. Nitesite unintentionally talked me into casting my own bullets. Hopefully I will be starting next week.

honkey, please ask some questions of me or another bullet caster about what bullet mould you want to try, and very importantly, how you plan to size your cast bullets and lube them. It can be VERY inexpensive or involve hundreds of dollars depending on what you are willing to spend on sizing/lubing!

nitesite said:
honkey said:
I can't wait to start reloading. Nitesite unintentionally talked me into casting my own bullets. Hopefully I will be starting next week.

honkey, please ask some questions of me or another bullet caster about what bullet mould you want to try, and very importantly, how you plan to size your cast bullets and lube them. It can be VERY inexpensive or involve hundreds of dollars depending on what you are willing to spend on sizing/lubing!

You've been a lot of help! I am trying to make sure to read as much as possible and ask few questions so I do not pester.

Whats that book you guys have mentioned in the reloading section?

Back