• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone else notice the price of ammo going up?

mingaa said:
I've added 2 rifle calibers since then.

I have actually down sized my collection substantially and am concentrating on fewer calibers.

John A. said:
mingaa said:

I have actually down sized my collection substantially and am concentrating on fewer calibers.

I did something similar and downsized. What I found was that my collection continued to grow with fewer calibers. So I wasn't really down sizing my collection just shifting focus away from some calibers. My cost for ammunition for fewer (common) calibers has still climbed.

I guess a fair question to ask is are we seeing a market bubble burst and prices returning to a (inflation adjusted) normal?

I have a tendancy to think the market was altered by a flood of inexpensive imported ammunition, mostly brought about by trade agreements, that in turn it forced US ammunition manufactures to lower their prices to compete.

From the early 70's to the late 90's ammunition was relatively inexpensive. During that time were we in a bubble, one that lasted so long it seemed the norm? It's obvious the ammunition market has, and still is, going through a period of correction. More than likely brought about by a weak dollar and rise in demand.

Few common calibers is what I intend to keep as well.

I still want a .45 LC rifle and a .45-70 govt singleshot rifle... but not as much as i used to!

John A. said:
mingaa said:

I'm in 9, 40, AK, AR and 12g. Have the assortment pack of each in pretty good stock. That's not a huge range but keePs you looking. I have a comfort zone for stock that I do not like to fall below.

mingaa said:
John A. said:
mingaa said:

I'm in 9, 40, AK, AR and 12g. Have the assortment pack of each in pretty good stock. That's not a huge range but keePs you looking. I have a comfort zone for stock that I do not like to fall below.

I have quite a few calibers but only worry about 5
12 gauge…currently casting and reloading
30-06 ….currently reloading
.223…..currently reloading
9mm….just started reloading and want to cast soon, still buying factory too
22 long rifle.
I love my other guns but in the end I will just need these

I'm pretty heavily invested in .308Win, .223/5.56, 7.62x39, .12ga, .38sp/.357, .45ACP and .22LR.

I have other calibers that are holdouts from when I went through the collection. I couldn't bear to get rid of them, or they belong to the wife.

The calibers listed above are my main calibers and the guns in those calibers see quite a bit of range time.

Anytime ammo is on sale I purchase it, even if its .45ACP (I say even, because .45 is a caliber I reload). When prices go crazy high I can always trade or sell the .45 ACP to someone locally that is in need. I usually check the internet sights and purchase in 500 round orders. When the current president took office I was able to continue to shoot as often as before because I had early purchases at low prices. I still have South African battle packs of 7.62x51 ammo with the $30 price tag on them. I think if you can find them they currently go for $90.

I figure buy when its on sale because you will wish you had bought more later when the prices keep going up. 9mm and 7.62x39 I don't order until I can get it for at least $.21/round delivered. The first place I always check is SGAMMO.com (thanks to Oli700 for turning me on to them months ago).

i've noticed this today as well. A few weeks ago i bought a 100 pack of federal .40 for $24.97. Today i went back to get another box and it was $26.97!!

I have found that not only has the price gone up, but it is also becoming down right scarce in some cases.

The prices have gone up ... I dunno, it really isnt much, but the 5.56 I had been getting has gone up maybe .40 cents. The Federal HydraShock is crazy expensive, $32 for 20 rounds.

Now the problem is one of the WalMarts I go to for ammo has very little on the shelves. The only .223 is TulAmmo and Federal 100 round bulk pack. No Remington or Winchester at all. The Federal bulk pack is $42, which isnt all bad but they used to stock the American Eagle .223 in the 20 round black box for $6.49.

My LGS has the same stuff as well as Federal XM193 for $8.49 and $8.99 respectively. So they have the stuff, but at $2 dollars more per box!!! HOLY CRAP man!

Palmetto State Armory has a whole lot of "out of stock" tags on their stuff. SG Ammo isnt much better. Ammunition to Go has a decent supply yet and decent prices too, but I dont know that shipping costs make it much better.

Theres a place a little more than an hour away that has plenty of the American Eagle, 200 rounds for $70... I dont think driving that far helps me out either. I'm probably better of just goin to my LGS to pay the higher cost. Keeps my business local too and out of Wally World...

Oli, I've just always had a stigmatism against steel case ammo over aluminum feed ramps. My fears may be unfounded...

If theres no issue with it, then theres lots of steel case ammo available at decent prices I'd be interested in.

The availability and rising costs have got to be a good arguement for reloading!!! ;)

Oh, I don’t think I have anything with an aluminum feed ramp....didn’t realize an AR did.....seems like brass would beat it up too but I don’t know. Shot a mountain of it through the Mini , worried about the extractor but nothing ever happened, works great and if it breaks than they make hardened replacements that never break.

Both my AR and 1911 have aluminum feed ramps, my 1911 is a light weight model with an aluminum frame.

Brass is softer... and its entirely possible as i mentioned that its an unfounded fear. You mentioned the extractor, which I had forgotten about as another concern.

The Hornady goes for about .40 cents a round in the steel case online, but if i order online, the American Eagle is .35 cents a round. To order online shipping is about $13 from AmmunitionToGo... but if I go to my LGS, I'd pay $45 for 100 rounds. So $48 to order, or $45 + a gallon of gasoline to go get it myself? About the same price! :lol:

Ugh... theres way too much thought goin into this process but its entirely necessary anymore! :lol:

If any of you guys are in Socal Big 5 has CCI 22lr in 500 bulk packs for $20., thru this Saturday. Reg price now $24.95 up from 2 months ago. I picked up 5 bricks which added to my other should hold me thru the elections.

I do know stocking up on .22LR ammo and it isn't nearly as cheap as it use to be, I don't mind buying the bulk pack stuff for range use. Yet even that is getting on up there in price.

Back