• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks John.

BTW,I finally changed that bolt catch on the AR and shot it yesterday. It shot fine, and I did OK with it.
I'm pretty convinced that I'll just sell this one though. It's just not my cup of tea.

Nothing wrong with trying something and not liking it and getting something else you like or shoot better or something that has more affordable ammunition.

Nothing wrong with trying something and not liking it and getting something else you like or shoot better or something that has more affordable ammunition.

Well I certainly like the .223 round and the cost of it has been reasonable considering what I pay for .30-30s.

I think it will turn out to be my favorite Target Round in the proper gun.

Looks like Wolf usa is going to start importing a piston upper AR variant.

Looks like a pretty solid design.

Especially if you're into obscure designs.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/10/13/big-3-east-wolf-ammo-bringing-us-type-91-upper/

IMG_6305.jpg

600!.....they can stuff that up their red star

The Grendel offering is slightly interesting depending on of its at all built to be accurate because thats what the round is good at and they say 400 bucks for that upper so 4 moa might be good, waist of a good 6.5mm projectile

If they offered the 556 for a good bit less than a good build or a reputable US companies upper I could see it being worth a look but you can get a descent upper from Aero M4E1 free float mid for the cost of the Wolf.....just on principal I couldn't do it

I wonder if this is related to the dream you had Saturday night John ?........where Eugene Stoner kicked you square in the balls ?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Eugene.

I mean, It might have been him, but in my drunken stupor, it's all a little hazy.

Not sure if you remember, but he also helped design the AR180, which is also a piston driven machine, so....

I remember those.

They're non-functional, but have to be otherwise, like working guns.

They had blue furniture on them to designate they were not "working" guns. And blue was also representative of the air force colors too because they had the contract for them.

I remember a photo of a few hundred of them on a pallet of the factory floor before they were shipped out.

I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

Here is what my buddy Tom (sales manager for Olympic) said about them in a post at oa2.org
---------------------------------

"
The AF contract is for 5,000 plus units of the Cobalt Trainer® rifle. These rifles are exclusively available through Olympic Arms and utilize a patented lower receiver, approved by ATF as a non-gun.

These rifles are filling a gigantic need in the military, LE and security businesses for training personnel without having to put a real (capable of killing your fellow trainee or instructor) rifle into the hands of the trainee, AND (perhaps just as significantly) without having to take a functional rifle out of the field.

The Cobalt Trainer® functions in every way as a standard AR15/M16 variant. The AF contract calls for M16A2 variants. The weapon can be charged, it has a moving trigger, a fully functional, but dimensionally different bolt carrier assembly, an unrifled barrel bore, fully adjustable sights etc. Everything that a trainee would need for total weapons familiarization and training short of BRM.

It looks the same as an M16A2, fells the same, handles the same, breaks down the same, cleans the same, disassembles and reassembles the same etc. You can lock in a mag, and drop it out utilizing an unmodifed mag-catch system as well. It just does not, and will not ever be capable of real firing.

They have already been sold to the AF, Army, and LE and security training agencies world wide and has become quite a market for Oly. A similar rifle is being manufactured for, and sold by Laser Shot® for their simulator training systems as well.

But the reality of the market is, if it were not for these 5,000 units, it would be 5,000 units of something else. Demand for anything AR15/M16 related, and especially Olympic Arms product is very, very high.

Rattler "

Couldn't find the pallet pictures, but here were a few right off the assembly bench before they were boxed up and shipped out.

ducttape-cobalts.jpg

The one on the left is mine. Or will be, it's in layaway. My crazy but wonderful wife gave the ok. I accepted before knowing what it would truly cost me. I didn't ask any questions. All I know so far is that I have several wood refinishing projects which I'm ok with.

IMG_0648.JPG

These are a 1:8 twist match 16" chromoly barrel, carbine length gas, all milspec with M4 feed ramps, M16 BCG, their free float rail set up for MLok, their muzzle brake, and one Troy Industries magazine.

Looking for sights, even fixed irons. I like the Troy and Daniel Defense and especially the LMT fixed rear but may skip the irons and go for a red dot like the Bushnell TRS25 or Primary Arms.

The one on the right is being purchased by my daughters boyfriend.

I hate you guys... I've been jonesing for an AR.

Palmetto State has a stupid BF sale... I ended up picking up their premium BCG, lower parts kit, and upper parts kit for $160. Gonna start a NY Compliant **shudders** build in 2017.

Does "compliant" mean that it's not registered as an assault weapon?

I think mine becomes an official AW this year no matter what I do to it, due to the removable mag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back