• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR TIME!!

robtech87

.270 WIN
starting my AR build!

im building mine from 80% lowers

milled this one out
jeanaslower.jpg

my fiance wants an a2 style ar so i decided to keep that one for her and ordered myself a fancy schmansy quinten defense billet lower with the integrated drop trigger guard and no roll pin design. that should be here soon.
quentindefenselower.jpg

i'll be custom etching all the markings myself so i'll be pretty personalized and then annodizing it

palmetto, magpul, and vltor goodies are also in route to complete the lower :D

AWESOME!!!!

Taking "building an AR" to a whole new level.

I don't have any CNC stuff, although I do have a little manual drill vise, but I've always been too nervous to try it on a lower.

But yours has turned out great so far. I have a buddy who bought one like that too.

As for Quentin Defense, I knew Jason a year or two before he got into manufacturing when he was just concentrating on his engraving services. Matter of fact, he is the only person I get to engrave my stuff (SBR's and Silencers) because he does me right on price and does a great job with quick turnaround times

Widowmakersecurityphoto.jpg

Check out the LEO/Mil sample M16 be built ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr5rXGFgEAE[/youtube]

nice...havent heard anything but positive feedback regarding quentin so that sounds great.

yea i know people do em with drill presses (well seen online) but i'd be sketchy about doin it too...esp since you mill aluminum @ like 1200rpm and i know my drill press doesn't spin that fast...you can go slower but it doesn't turn out as nice.

still trying to decide on a theme for the gun...not like some crazy color theme or anything just somethin unique or funny to etch in instead of the normal bullet with a line for "safe" and a bullet for "fire" etc...any ideas?

Awesome! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this build.

robtech87 said:
still trying to decide on a theme for the gun...not like some crazy color theme or anything just somethin unique or funny to etch in instead of the normal bullet with a line for "safe" and a bullet for "fire" etc...any ideas?

Have you seen the zombie lower on from spikes tatical? safe is replaced with live, fire replaced with dead and full auto is replaced with undead

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/lower-multi-forged-zombie-livedead-markings-p-566.html

yea i've def considered going the zombie route...esp since i always joke with people about the zombie apocalypse...

seriously...i wish these places shipped faster though..Vltor is awesome...great quality, great rep...to my door in 3 days...Wolff springs, Palmetto, Quentin defense on the other hand take over a week to even put something in a box with your address on it

well my quentin lower got here today...lpk and magpul goodies should be here tomorrow

some pics to compare the beefiness of the billet quentin to the forged tactical machining...both very nice tolerances/quality/finish...this thing is just burly and diesel lookin

2012-01-30_13-01-32_422.jpg

2012-01-30_13-01-11_22.jpg

2012-01-30_13-00-50_174.jpg

2012-01-30_13-00-32_556.jpg

i really like the no rollpin design of it...tons of room in the trigger guard and the bolt catch has a threaded pin

Very nice work, it is nice to see folks doing things like this. I would love to able to mill, anodize, and make my own lowers. I am applying for a 07 FFL, with SOT. The SOT will come later. Good on ya for stepping out, and doing things for yourself.

Saltmarsh said:
I am applying for a 07 FFL, with SOT. The SOT will come later. Good on ya for stepping out, and doing things for yourself.

I had my FFL's for nearly a decade so I do have some experience with this.

An 07 FFL is a manufacturers license, which technically is an SOT because it requires paying it yearly. (SOT is short of Special Operating Tax)

A licensed manufacturer can sell anything they make (granted you follow the reg's). No extra licensing required.

What exactly are you going to start making?

just on an off note what is required/how hard is it to get an 07 FFL? a buddy of mine and i have been kinda tinkering with the idea of manufacturing some goodies someday

It's not very different from a regular gun dealer application.

Even with FFL's, there can be zoning issues, city ordinances, etc. to contend with that can throw a monkey wrench in the way.

You also need chief LEO signature, 2x2" passport photo's, fingerprints, physical address/location, hours of operation, secure building (and you WILL get a thorough pre-inspection by an ATF agent at the premesis before approval and up to once a year compliance check during normal business hours without a warrant.)

All Employee's that will be doing transfers and/or in contact with finished firearms will also have paperwork to fill out with the FBI, and disclaimers for right of privacy act, background check, etc.

Regular gun dealer licenses are good for up to 3 years at a time. $200 for the first 3 years, and $90 for subsequent 3 year intervals before reapplying.

In addition to what regular dealers are required, manufacturer requirements are a bit more involved with the Federal Gov't

$500 per year (Special Occupational Tax) for businesses making less than ???? (I don't remember the cutoff amount) and $1000 yearly if you exceed the cutoff amount. You're welcome to look up the amounts yourself. It's late and I simply can't remember the amounts right off and I don't feel like looking them up.

There are also forms you'll have to submit because they want to know how much waste you're going to have a year (whether physical scraps/recyclable material, and even down to how much waste water/runoff you're going to have, if any of it is going to require hazardous waste permits, how much electricity you're expected to use a year, Federal EIN/Employer tax number with the IRS, state/local business tax permits, etc.

Good Morning John A.
I worked for a shop 3.5 years ago, I built AR's, sold firearms, and firearms repair for a gunshop. It was a class3 dealer 07FFL SOT. I am looking to have my own place to work with, class3 items, tranfers, and build SBR's, SBS's. I still get calls from some of my old customers, (alot of SBR's), I can not work on thier firearms without an FFL, so I figured why not go all the way.

I have worked on numerous NFA items, and have always had great support, from the NFA Branch, as well as the BATFE. I set up the old shop with manufactures to build the lowers, uppers, and various parts used there. I was in constant contact with BATFE, The Manufacturers, and The NFA Branch. My wife and I own a firearms orientated business. Out of respect for this board, and it's members, I will not post any links to it. In short, I want to get back into it, and work with some of my old customers, and hopefully gain some new ones.

Back