• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR15 22LR conversion

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
3 or 4 years ago, I built a suppressed dedicated 22LR upper for my AR using a JA Ceiner bolt and an old cut down and rethreaded surplus 1:12 twist 5.56 Colt barrel.

It was always very quiet but the barrel not ideally bored for actual 22LR, was never real accurate with any ammo. I've used 60 gr SSS aguila, and a host of other makes and weights and none of them were (what I would call) very accurate.

Does anyone here have any experience with the CMMG 22LR conversion barrels?

Reason I ask, I ordered one of their 6.5 inch barrels (with collar) so I can use my ceiner bolt with it so I can (hopefully) increase the accuracy out of that upper enough that I may could try to hunt with it occasionally.

I'm sure the 6.5 inch barrel isn't going to give me extraordinary long range accuracy to win gold medals with, and I'm not really expecting it to do that, but most of my shots will be well within 50 yards and often times, probably realistically within 15 or 20 yards so I assume that it "should" at least be more accurate than the old barrel at those distances and hopefully accurate enough to be able to take out an occasional small fur bearer. (squirrel, raccoon, rabbit, etc)

And before anyone asks, yes it will be used on a registered SBR so it'll be legit.

I'm just looking for some feedback on the cmmg stuff if you have anything.

Heard good things about CMMG, but never used any of their stuff personally...yet. Either way, I imagine you'll end up get'n much better results with the new bore...

I kinda hope it's more accurate than what I've got now.

Right now, it's pop can accurate, but no two bullets will land even remotely on the same end of the can as the other :lol:

I'm also going to throw a 1.5-6x scope on it. That may help get it dialed in a little better too and give me a little more flexibility than a 3 moa dot.

I've never used their barrels but have been happy with their comversion bolt assembly. I've done some pin shooting with it but I have never tried to see just how accurate it is, I just use it as a plinker to save some money on ammo.

SBR!!!!! :x :x We might have a better bear hunting season here in MI but SBR's are still a no go. Best I can do is a AR pistol but it can't have or be able to accept a stock.

It's good to know the bolt is good quality. The best I can tell, they're designed after the Atchisson/Ceiner bolt (which I have the latter). I hope my existing bolt works good with the cmmg barrel collar thingy and the barrel does good because I would really like to get it shooting better. I always have liked that little gun, but feel let down by it not being as accurate as I felt it should.

As for firearm laws here, the only thing I can think of that I can't have is armor piercing (steel core) bullets and WMD's.

I've built 2 SBR's, two silencers and own a registered machinegun.

My state allows all NFA items and weapons and vehicles known to man and is home to probably the largest and best machinegun shoots in the world in a little place called Knob Creek. It's open to the public, so if you get a chance to come down when they're having the big shoots, and trade show, it would be worth the drive. People come from all around the world for that one. :mrgreen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBr77uVScMg[/youtube]

night shoot

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31vm3-BQRJU[/youtube]

I've not been there but I'm familiar with it.

We just recently have been able to own cans. A few people have machine guns but have gone through a few hoops to get them.

I always wanted one even when I was little and almost 4 years ago I came across a deal I couldn't pass up and took the plunge. Can't say I regret doing it.

To be honest, I got a fair deal on it to start with. The original owner had past away and his widow was selling it to pay for a headstone and some of the funeral.

So I scrambled to sell an AR (just after election) and listed the gun on one of the auction sites for a start bid of $850 (which I thought was fair at the time) to help offset the cost. A few guys got in a bidding war and I ended up more than doubling the money I had in the AR by the time it was over.

So realistically, I have about $1300 out of pocket invested in the machinegun by the time I bought the aftermarket Lage Manufacturing upper receiver for it and as it sits is worth about $4500-$5000 fair market value.

There are deals that can be found, but I was in the right place at the right time for that one. His widow and family was satisfied and I walked away happy with it too, so it turned out as good as could've for both parties I suppose.

Ah man, I wanna get my hands on a RDIAS!

Looks like you sure did get a deal brother. The price alone has kept me from pursuing it so far...

I think between the two, I'd rather have a lightning link.

I have seen schematics for them online, but like you, can't justify 10 grand for $1.75 worth of milled sheet metal.

But if anyone gets a fair chance to buy anything registered (whether auto sear or receiver), they're not only fun, but good investments. Back in '08 they were decreasing in price and a buyers market due to so many people liquidating their life savings and stock market crash, but have since steadily surpassed their going price before that.

Well, after a long time coming, and several calls to CMMG to get the bolt collar they forgot to send to start with, I did finally get it this evening.

Not had a chance to shoot it for sound/groups yet, but it's ready and the magazines are loaded with Remington subsonics, and I am also going to take a few winny and federal bulk pack bullets just for grins.

Just FWIW, the cmmg collar fit onto the ceiner bolt assembly rather well. Unsure about function yet and will update that when I find out, but so far, so good. To be honest, the bolt seems to be a little stiffer when it's cycling now than before so I am unsure if the frame/legs are slightly misaligned or aligned differently, or ????, but it didn't seem overly constrictive. As long as it cycles OK when I'm shooting is all I'll be concerned about and watching for. And if it doesn't, at least I'll know where to start fiddling with it :lol:

I also like the detent on the collar that keeps the ceiner bolt from falling out on its' own like it did before.

Anywhoo:

cmmg22upper001.jpg

cmmg22upper002.jpg

22SDUpperbuild001.jpg

22SDUpperbuild003.jpg

22SDUpperbuild004.jpg

22LRSDUpper.jpg

Very nice John. I look forward to hearing how it runs.

I must've bent one of the legs when I exchanged the barrel collar/chamber adapter was the reason the bolt felt tighter to me as I was sliding it by hand.

I tried shooting two different times and no primer hits on both rounds, so I stopped and found the fix online, and straightened the legs on the conversion bolt and now the bolt slides as easily as it always did, and the next round fired as it was supposed to.

Since I was just shooting off the porch because it is dark now, all I did was make sure it fired. I'll try to go in the next few days and test it for accuracy.

The sound level was about what it was before. It's too hard to judge based only on one shot. The action noise and hammer was still very distinct to me.

I went through ~40 rounds altogether, and it's a lot more accurate.

I had 4 fail to fires that did go off on the second try and 3 fail to feeds, so it looks like I'm going to have to tweak it a little more.

Overall, the sound was alright and the accuracy was alright. I just have to get it a little more reliable now.

Here's one of the targets. I can't remember how many rounds probably 15 or 20 I guess, and I wasn't on a bench rest. I just found a long stick and propped the forend of the gun on it to kind of help steady it some.

22lrsdinitialtarget001.jpg

Thanks LES.

It may be as simple as the new collar just needing to wear in a little better because it was a bit rough. I'm going to try it wet and give it a little more time to break-in a little more before I do anything to the frame of the bolt.

Sorry for replying to an older post, but I just picked up a mossberg MMR tactical and I am shell shocked by the availability and price of 5.56 rounds right now. I am very interested in the 22lr conversion kit so I can have some fun with it. There are several options but everyone is out of stock except for the Ciener.

I am relatively new to rifles and my question is about fit and reliability. Shouldn't wait for the CMMG kits to become available again or do you think I will be okay with the Ciener?

Back