• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR15: An Armalite Rookie Viewpoint

I've tried the Nikon Prostaff & I liked it a lot. Not so much as the Vortex Viper.
But I'm the kind of idiot who will pay extra $ to have a Leupold.
Usually.

I dropped a Leupold 3-9 on the one i built for my pops last summer. It was a hunting build, so he didnt need external adjust turrets, or a BDC reticle. I also knew i would be camo dipping it, so wanted something that i could trust to be waterproof. My only recourse was i didnt take into account that he would be night hunting, and didnt get an illuminated reticle.

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/another-ar-build.14227/page-2

For the 1:9 barrel, keep your ammo at 69 grains and below. 77's will be too heavy and won't group well, they may even keyhole past 100. My 1:9 loves the 69grain Sierra Match Kings. As others have said, AR's can get very expensive, very quickly.

More scope may be better for you. What you get all depends on you budget. Vortex makes the Strike Eagle scope which is an good mow cost 1-6 scope. ($325 retail) But they also make the Vortex Razor HDII JM 1-6 scope which retails for $1300ish.

The front hand guards will always have some play in them since they are designed to be easily taken off to clean under them. Only way around that is to free float the barrel. Adding a gasket or anything can effect barrel harmonics and throw your shots off. Just free float the barrel and you'll never have to worry about that. AR's are like lego's, you can do 1000 different things to them. Here is a pic of my 3gun competition AR as an example:

It has Spike's stripped upper and lower. RRA upper lower parts kits. Magpul PRS stock. JP Silent Captured Spring. Alpha Sports match grade 1:9 rifle length gas barrel. Samson Evolution free float rail. Adams Arms XLP piston conversion with low mass bolt carrier. SJC Titan compensator. MagPul everything. Harris bipod. Hiperfire Hypertouch 24C trigger. Vottex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 scope. Trijicon RMR offset. Etc, etc, etc.

TUFF, WHERE DID YE GET THE RED TRIGGER CLIP ? I CAN SEE A REASON FOR THAT.

THANKS
RAMBO

My best buddy gave me this puppy last night. Custom made. 1" dia.

Looks heavy duty except for the tiny roll pins.

Sportsman's WH would want $180 for this but he got it at a gun show for $80.

20160301_060010.jpg

I'd have my 60 mm Tasco on there right now, but I'm afraid the AR would make it rattle like maracas.

The screws have flush sunk square heads, pinned thru.

BTW, this is a lot taller than the rings I'm using. It should make it easier to get my meathooks on the charging handle.

Last edited:
Thank you Rambo. I've had this one 12 years and it takes some patience to polish all that metal.

Here's me and the Mrs. heading up to the Silver country.
We've both lost weight since then (about 2006 that was taken.)
I'm about 240 lbs in this photo and that bike makes me look quite small.
sv27.jpg

Here's the specs on the upper:
  • Upper Receiver: A3 Flat-Top
  • Barrel Length: 16"
  • Barrel Contour: Government
  • Barrel Material: 4140 Chrome Moly Matte
  • Muzzle Thread Pattern: 1/2"-28
  • Chrome Lined: No
  • Barrel Finish: Chrome Moly Matte
  • Twist Rate: 1 in 9"
  • Chamber: 5.56x45mm NATO
  • M4 Feed Ramps: Yes
  • Muzzle Device: A2 Flash Hider
  • Gas System Length: Carbine
  • Gas Block Diameter: 0.750"
  • Handguard: 2-Piece M4 Style
  • Sights: A2 Fixed Front
  • Bolt Carrier Assembly Included: Yes
  • Bolt Carrier Type: Mil-Spec
I was hoping the barrel would be chromed.

There are tons of "budget" scope options out there. A 3-9 would work for you, a 2-10 would be better, but might cost more. I agree with others that a good one piece mount will be much better for an AR. I used the SWFA SSALT for years, which is a rebranded version of the PEPR. Little cheaper.

TUFF, WHERE DID YE GET THE RED TRIGGER CLIP ? I CAN SEE A REASON FOR THAT.

THANKS
RAMBO

It comes as part of the HiperFire trigger system. It's 3 times the width of a normal trigger with the shoe (red clip) installed. It does 2 things. 1: It forces you to put your finger in the exact same place every time you use it. 2: It makes the trigger feel lighter than it actually is. mine breaks at about 2 lbs (competition trigger), but it feels like 1lb. Even when you swap the springs and have it at 4 1/2 lbs, it feels lighter.

https://www.hiperfire.com/

Thanks. So far I'm just shooting 55s. I don't really intend this gun to get quite as expensive as yours. I do want and need a better scope. The AR Mod1 is a CQB thing and I'm shooting at targets.

I think the Mod1 is going back on the Henry eventually.

That's the beauty of AR's. You can go mild to wild with them. For average shooters, free float that barrel, get an optic you like better and run with it. The average shooter won't see a big advantage doing all the stuff I did to mine. Mine is a gamer gun, built from the ground up for competition.

Mines a little beat up and scratched as well. Just adds character. When we switch between guns in 3gun we put them in dump barrels, which are plastic 55 gallon drums. Some of us (myself included) throw the guns into those barrels with some force. Faster they get in there, the faster we can grab the next gun.

Some people baby these guns, but they are designed to be able to take a beating and keep going.

I own a few that I kinda baby when traveling and storing and laying on the tailgate and stuff, but I still shoot them.

Back