• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR15: An Armalite Rookie Viewpoint

Actually I only took the wife 3 miles for a sandwich at Jersey Mike's.
But the run to the gun range is about 35 miles round trip, so I got it loosened up a bit.
It started on the second try with a tank of 2 year old gas. The tank was full so I just rode it.
Thank God for fuel injection.

You're lucky with the gas. Today's gas is made to last about 30-45 days before it starts to breakdown. You need to get that crap run thru and out of your fuel system as quickly as possible. The Ethanol is terrible on rubber EFI parts and it absorbs water making your fuel mix way too lean. My recommendation is to run a bottle of injector cleaner in the next couple of tanks. Seafoam is a good brand...I run it in my bike, outboard, truck.

BTW, nice rifle.

You're lucky with the gas. Today's gas is made to last about 30-45 days before it starts to breakdown. You need to get that crap run thru and out of your fuel system as quickly as possible. The Ethanol is terrible on rubber EFI parts and it absorbs water making your fuel mix way too lean. My recommendation is to run a bottle of injector cleaner in the next couple of tanks. Seafoam is a good brand...I run it in my bike, outboard, truck.

BTW, nice rifle.

The gas had Seafoam in it. Otherwise Stabil.... This why it was still good.

Good enough, anyhow. There's a lean surge at med-light cruise, but it's a tad rich when you twist the wick. I added fresh gas and more Seafoam.

Some girls like the bad boys. Just sayin...

My pop would croak if he were still here. His guns were polished.

I never had to treat one badly myself. Now if you had zombies on yer tail, all bets are off. Do what ya gotta.

For those of you to whom a gun is a tool and not just an amusement, I do understand. I have crappy looking tools that are high quality stuff under the rust and dirt.

My pop would croak if he were still here. His guns were polished.

I never had to treat one badly myself. Now if you had zombies on yer tail, all bets are off. Do what ya gotta.

For those of you to whom a gun is a tool and not just an amusement, I do understand. I have crappy looking tools that are high quality stuff under the rust and dirt.

I don't abuse my guns but I am very utilitarian. I use them. The only guns I own that do not get used are those that are no longer safe to use yet have sentimental value.

I have a few AR's that are still pretty clean, only because I have had more time late in the evenings to build then than I do during the daylight hours to use them.

I really like the Skull on the magwell of your lower receiver.

Here is a video from when I was having issues with my 930. It's slo motion due to wanting to be able to diagnose the problems, which I did, and she running like a dream now. You can see in the video, that when I finish with the shotgun, I threw it into the barrel with enough force that it knocked the barrel over. They redesigned how they braced the barrels because of me and a couple of other people. We kept knocking them over.I dump the shotgun at about .55 into the video.

TUFF, WAS THAT LOW BRASS, YOU WERE USING ???????????

No I was having an issue with the carrier latch being too sharp (rounded it off), and the recoil spring plunger had burrs on it (rounded them off as well). I was using 1200 fps Winchester. Carrier latch caused it not to feed, and the recoil spring plunger slowed down the operation. Fixed those 2 things, and added the OR3GUN marine spacer tube and haven't had an issue since.

. . . I really like the Skull on the magwell of your lower receiver.

My buddy made a big deal of that when he sold it to me. It's starting to grow on me a little.

My wife asked what it was.
"It's a dead Indian."
"A WHAT?"
"See...a skull with feathers."
"Oh..."
Being half Navajo she wasn't much impressed.

I got this terrific little swiveling Atlas (copy) bipod today. $120 with tax.

I made some steel reinforcements to go inside the handguard and put a Weaver rail underneath the handguard with 2 screws tapped into the Weaver rail.

14577529995001383283049.jpg

I had to grind some screws shorter and carve an extra notch in the rail.

This thing is so much more solid than my Cheapo Caldwell bipod it's laughable.

You can see that I haven't touched up the paint on the screws yet.

1457753282664352765473.jpg

Hey that bipod turned out to be pretty snazzy on the bench, but my rail mounting to the handguard was a quick and dirty set-up, guys. It started to come loose after about 30 rounds.

Also I never bothered to put Loctite on it because I knew I would probably change it soon.

All I did was tap a couple holes in a Weaver rail, and screw it up under the handguard from the inside, with 2 #10-32 flat head screws, and a couple of reinforcements I made by grinding the sides off of some fender washers.

I knew that it would come loose as the plastic gave a little bit. Loctite wouldn't have prevented that.

I like this bipod, but it will probably get migrated to my target rifle once I get a decent stock on it. The AR is going to stay a carbine and if I want a target rifle based on the AR platform I'll get another one built.

I am not too hot on that idea right now.

I thought I wanted an AR 10 platform but so many people have tried to talk me out of that . . . I don't know . . . this now seems like a bad idea.

And now I'm leaning away from large caliber target guns and considering more a dedicated single shot .223.

Don't give up on .308!

It's my favorite target caliber by far. Have sent more rounds down range than I can count with my Remy 700's and never thought I'd enjoy shooting anything as much as I do my latest .308 rifle...

The M1A is the softest shooting .308 I have ever shouldered and it's amazing how well it shoots. Was ready to order the AR-10 I had my eye on for years, but went this direction instead. So glad I did. May still pick up the AR-10 eventually, but the M1A has definitely scratched that itch for a long while...

bang for the buck it is hard to beat 223 for a precision round, in fact Sierra or Speer cant remember which only use 223 to test all their .224 size projectiles because it about as accurate as any other .224 and it is easy to load for and takes a huge rang of powder and a huge range of projectile designs

but if one is really serious about bug holes , and wants a bolt or single , 6mm family 105gr or so

Back