• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Archery leagues?

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Anyone partaking in a winter league this year?

My archery club runs indoor target, indoor 3d and an outdoor leage during the winter months.

I thinking of shooting in the indoor 3d and the outdoor paper animal league. I just can't decide which bow to shoot for each LOL

I went and shot the first week last night. I've been slacking, I have not picked up my bow much since Nove 15th (the beginning of MI's firearm season) so I was a little rusty. Lets just say I've got room for improvement. I may play around with my bowcam and post some pics.

The bow I ended up using was the Quinn Stallion recurve. I may switch it up but I think I will stay traditional with this league.

Hey, Mike. Yeah, I shoot indoor all winter. I belong to the Cincinnati JOAD (Junior Olympic Archery Development) club. It is a FITA or NAA club. We shoot several times a week. I also shoot at a sportsmens's club north of here. We have indoor, 3D and a 14 target Field course.

I just got done with the 2-day NAA Indoor Nationals, have a 1-day NFAA 5 spot shoot tomorrow in Dayton then of to Louisville for the NFAA Indoor Championship next weekend.

After next weekend I begin the switch to outdoors...skinny arrows and wind...shoot both FITA and Field. I like outdoors much better than indoors but indoors gives me the time to work on form and equipment setups.

I shoot a PSE Dominator for all the spot shooting. I also have a Bear Truth 2 and a Ross Cardiac for hunting and 3D (if I shoot any 3D...got tired of the lines and shooting only 30 arrows in 4 hours).

I'll try to get some pics up soon...

Some of the most fun I've ever had shooting was in winter leagues. The bow shop where I used to live had one of the Technohunt video systems and they ran 2-man team leagues several times a year. Usually ran each session for 8 weeks and scoring was somewhat of a handicapped system. Your teams weekly "score" was actually (the combined scores of the 2 shooters) - (previous weeks combined score). So if we shot 200 total this week and 180 last week it gave us an actual score of 20 for this week.......put an emphasis on improving every single week instead of just having the dominant shooters smoking the new guys week in and week out......It made even the newest guys competitive which kept them coming back.

Any of you guys ever shot on one of the Technohunt systems?

I've never shot one of the technohunt systems but they do look interesting. I really enjoy the 3D shoots

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

The Technohunt systems are a blast......a lot like shooting 3D with live targets. You've got a video screen set up at 20 yards, digital projector and a laser tracking system. Your "targets" will appear to be anywhere from 20-60ish yards away.....winds can be different from shot to shot. You use rounded target blunts on your regular arrows....arrow weight is put into the computer and the tracking system measures your arrow speed and calculates ow much drift and drop you would have had at the simulated target distance. Every scene you shoot is different and they are actual footage of animals in the wild. You can shoot at any time during a scene.....Do you take the risky shot through the hole in the bushes or do you wait to see if the elk walks out into the clear? Maybe it will, maybe it won't......the target may be an elk, a deer, a gator, an elephant or anything in between.

If you ever run across a shop with one of these setups I'd definitely encourage you to try it out.....it's a ton of fun and great practice.

Tim4k5 said:
The Technohunt systems are a blast......a lot like shooting 3D with live targets. You've got a video screen set up at 20 yards, digital projector and a laser tracking system. Your "targets" will appear to be anywhere from 20-60ish yards away.....winds can be different from shot to shot. You use rounded target blunts on your regular arrows....arrow weight is put into the computer and the tracking system measures your arrow speed and calculates ow much drift and drop you would have had at the simulated target distance. Every scene you shoot is different and they are actual footage of animals in the wild. You can shoot at any time during a scene.....Do you take the risky shot through the hole in the bushes or do you wait to see if the elk walks out into the clear? Maybe it will, maybe it won't......the target may be an elk, a deer, a gator, an elephant or anything in between.

If you ever run across a shop with one of these setups I'd definitely encourage you to try it out.....it's a ton of fun and great practice.

I wondered how they made it realistic when you were always a fixed distence from the screen.

Probably uses some trajectory compensation math equations. Since you are aiming with your sight, the arrow will hit "high" on the screen. You wouldn't be able to hit the animal dead-on with your arrow for a 45 yd shot. Using your arrow's weight and and speed it can compute the flight path (kinda like a ballistic calculator) and where it would hit in relation to the target.

I could be pulling this outta my butt but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once... ;)

Oh, yeah, shoot the Ohio Archers Association Indoor Championships yesterday in Dayton. 5-spot competition. Shot a 300-49X, which is my high score so far. Should have had a 50 or 51 X count but got the jitters the last end...

Next weekend it's off to Louisville for the NFAA Indoor Championships...

Back