• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Are there different opinions on best HD shot pattern?

I've heard different brands pattern different. I'm rather new to shotguns but it seems like in household distances a 00 would be like having 9 people shoot you with 38Special. My problem is after putting that big of a hole in 3-4 walls if I missed the target my real danger is from my wife's temper at putting holes in her walls.

If my wife got upset over something like that, I wouldn't know what to say to her.

I've heard different brands pattern different. I'm rather new to shotguns but it seems like in household distances a 00 would be like having 9 people shoot you with 38Special. My problem is after putting that big of a hole in 3-4 walls if I missed the target my real danger is from my wife's temper at putting holes in her walls.

You're right in that different brands pattern differently based on how they're made, the make up of the lead, buffered or not, plated pellets, shot wad... All that considered, most will make a single hole within 7 to 10 yards and the only ones I've seen open up into a discernible pattern at that range are Winchester loads like the SuperX and green hull "military grade".

For this reason, some advocate for slugs.

I am a big fan of AIMING any gun. Regardless of payload.

I know that there are many that want the buckshot to open up and spread out, but I don't. I've heard many say over the years that was the best thing about a shotgun.

But if I have to ever pull the trigger, I want a big round hole. The less pellets spreading out the better. Every missed pellet is a potential liability.

But in the real world, a slug will easily pass through and still keep going and going and going. That is what gun safety rule #4 means about knowing your target and what is beyond it.

I have dragged up this old thread because of a youtube video I recently found. I had never heard of Billy Birdzell, before this video. He seems to believe a pattern can be too tight. I am no longer of that particular opinion.

Take care. Tom Worthington

I'll add again that one needs to measure the farthest distance in hiuse and then practice till you find the psttern you want. I have a small house with neighbors close bye. No way that I will use slugs nor 00 for inside hd. I got 4 buck but have just ordered 1 buck. I'll be sticking with those. So what is the best ? Only you can decide.

Box of Truth had some slugs shatter, and others will over penetrate. I have 2 buck in my 20, and 00 in my 12, 3 rounds of slugs in the elastic side saddle for the unlikely event that the action would move outside. At room distance spread is a non issue for all practical purposes. Flight control is a waste of money at 10 feet.

When I am faced with room length scenarios I would not care one bit about the buckshot or slug load I had in my shotgun. Fifteen feet with a slug or buck is fairly similar with regards to effectiveness. But slug still rules..

^^^^^ This!

At that distance you certainly better be concerned what is behind what you are shooting at. And lets hope you are a good marksman under stress.

It's really going to depend on what you use of your shotgun is gonna be. I plan to use mine for HD, but it's not my primary HD weapon. One of my handguns will be my primary. My shotgun is a fight too weapon. And if I have to go to the shotgun, shit just got real and I need heavy firepower. Mine is loaded up with 22 slugs. XRail mounted on mine. If I need it, I want the most devastating round I can get. Means some one is doped up, or there are multiple attackers. Not worried about long range with it. A: I have rifles for that. B: If they are long range, they likely aren't enough of a threat for me to be justified in defending myself against them. I have an AR with a MagPul D60 for that.

The longest shot inside my home is 10 yards. I trust my life on #4 Buckshot and my 18.5" M590A1. With a just below the breast-bone POA, it's spread will mostly stay on the chest.

I live in the country so over penetration is not a concern......
I pattern test everything at `14 and `21 and when I find what I like I stick with it.

Back