• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Are you seeing this outside of California

CaddmannQ

.50 BMG
Because of the surge of anti-muslim sentiment brought on by terrorist activity, personal attacks on Muslims have increased.

Unfortunately, violence against Sikhs have also increased because they are addicted to their turbans and will not take them off. People see that turban as a symbol of Mideast terrorism and Islam.

So the Sikhs have spent millions of dollars on television ads here to promote the fact that they are not Muslim radicals, but are honest loyal hard-working American immigrants.

And by and large this is my own personal experience as well. I have dealt with the Sikhs in and known the people, since we did the engineering for the local Sikh temple.

But now I'm wondering if they are promoting this as a national campaign, or if they're just spending a lot of money here locally, because we have one of the largest Sikh populations in the nation.

An important piece of ancient wisdom says, "when in Rome do as the Romans do." The Sikhs need to take off their turbans, put on a goddamn baseball cap, and appear to be Americans for their own good.

Yes this is an infringement on their religious liberty, should they be forced to do such a thing, but it would be a sign of their true commitment to peace Brotherhood and the American way if they would make this sacrifice.

By the way I have not met a single Muslim in this town who wears a turban. They are all flying under the radar, and there are lots of them here.

There are three local mosques in which I did the structural drawings for two of them. We have a huge population of middle easterners here, but it seems like only the Sikhs are making themselves a clear Target, for the crimes of another religion.

Not sure how one mistakes a Sikh for a muslim but then again the people enacting violence are probably not the sharpest crayons in the box.

Ignorance is a disease that is increasing at an alarming rate. Unfortunately the media, internet, etc, which should be the greatest fountains of knowledge and information man has invented to date have become cespools of misinformation and consumer data mining.

. . . but have you guys seen these commercials on the news?

That was my real question.

LOL nope. But then again we dont have a huge muslim population that I'm aware of other than a compound upstate NY that is probably a huge radical training ground.

I am going to a Hasidic Jewish community next week for work and the sign at the town will promptly remind me to not come in physical contact with the women and to wear long sleeves (no polo shirts) :D

I haven't seen any, nor have I heard about attacks on Muslims or people wearing turbans.

A lot of those Syrian refugees you guys have been hearing about wound up here too. We have a big population of Armenians here, so Middle Eastern types slip right in and nobody notices that they look any different than the Armenians--except for the ones wearing turbans. :confused:

. . . I am going to a Hasidic Jewish community next week for work and the sign at the town will promptly remind me . . .

I consider myself very lucky that I've never had to work for anyone except Christians. Well I did work for a Mormon once for about 2 weeks but that was a bust once he found out I was a Baptist.

The week I left WI to move to TN there was an attack by an army veteran on a Sikh temple in WI. Six dead, more injured. The shooter was a white supremacist and may or may not have known about the differences between Sikh and Muslim. There were stories in the news and TV about the possibility about ignorant misidentification. That was in Aug 2012.

I haven't heard of nor seen anything in that regard. While Cincinnati's mayor has said he would welcome more refugees and declared the city a sanctuary city, I can't tell there's been any significant rise of any particular population. The only mosque I know of (which is also an "islamic studies" center) is in a town I used to live in called west Chester. I believe there was some sort of incident there recently. That's closer to where @OhioArcher lives and he may have more insight. While I certainly remember there being Sikhs in school where I graduated, I can't say that it's a large or significant population though that area grows exponentially every year. Its unrecognizable to me every time I go out that way.

Not much in the way of media ads or coverage on Sikhs being discriminated upon here in Central Florida. I do see them out and about from time to time. I think there is a temple in the Orlando area.

Muslim women are more noticeable than the men with the hijab and all but that is generally more towards Orlando. (I'm a half-hour north). There might be one or two who wear the garb in my kids' school.

That said, I heard a radio interview with some teen who is a Syrian refugee. In one breath she says "America is great! Land of opportunity!" then in another breath "Trump sucks! I still consider myself a Syrian". Needless to say, she wears the muslime garb. The interviewer made sure to get her to point out "all those times" she was discriminated upon because of her dress--typical NPR liberal stinkpiece... IMO, if you don't like it, go the fark home!

As one who does not wear a hat unless covering up from the sun or cold, I think the headgear of Sikhs and Muslims is stupid and impractical. These people should make more of an effort to assimilate and that includes losing their religion or at least the silly rules that go against our idea of freedom.

I haven't heard of nor seen anything in that regard. While Cincinnati's mayor has said he would welcome more refugees and declared the city a sanctuary city, I can't tell there's been any significant rise of any particular population. The only mosque I know of (which is also an "islamic studies" center) is in a town I used to live in called west Chester. I believe there was some sort of incident there recently. That's closer to where @OhioArcher lives and he may have more insight. While I certainly remember there being Sikhs in school where I graduated, I can't say that it's a large or significant population though that area grows exponentially every year. Its unrecognizable to me every time I go out that way.
Brad is correct about one Mosque but probably doesn't know about the second in Mason. I have one on each side of me. And yes, we have a sizable Sihk population as well. Many use my wife's bank.

No, I have not seen the commercials in question. Haven't been watching much tv (too much work and OT). But it is probably a good move on their part.

Yeah I didn't realize there was another. Two mosques in the same county? The growth of that area always amazes me.

The second one is a house that is in a commercially zoned area. Restaurants, auto repair, daycare, a church across the street. Pretty diverse area as far as businesses go.

The mosque on the west side of I-75 is unmistakable. It is large and sits just up the road from a mega-church. The muslim population has exploded around here. The Sikhs have been around for quite some time but they seem to be a much smaller population.

I haven't seen any of these commercials but it doesn't surprise me they are trying to soften the image.

It really bothers me that the local Muslims are not at all trying to soften the image and if anything I suspect that the locally imams have become more radical since the nomination of Trump.

Of course we always knew that the Muslims were already voting for Hillary. She would have closed down every American petroleum operation in the name of ecology & we would be buying everything from the Arabs.

Back