• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

At home range

Wondering if anybody else has resorted to scratching that itch in your garage, basement or back yard. I know Mr. Garrett has a nice looking setup, but are there others? I live in a residential neighborhood and have taken to occasional shots in my attached ex garage. Yes, aware of legal issues, but I’ve checked the sound level outside and a couple blasts from the shockwave wasn’t hardly noticeable even 5’ outside. I’ve built and rebuilt my backstop along with consideration to what could possibly be found outside. Any input would be awesome.

Wow, that stuff in a usable size is crazy expensive. Could probably go to an industrial scrap yard and just get an old backhoe or loader bucket to catch your shots.. I’ll probably stick to household stuff I can “hole” up and then throw out. Less evidence of a good time is usually a good thing.lol

No problem with an old backhoe bucket or dozer blade. I don't know if it's the same grade steel or not, but I know for 100% fact even high power rifles won't penetrate it.

Old rail road cross ties will stop a lot of different calibers. Just be sure not to continue stacking each round on top of the other or using rotted pieces.

@Elbert Garrett

Thanks. I don’t have anything but the shockwave and because it’s only for home defense, I don’t use slugs ( but will for sure get some DDupleks broad heads when they come back, lol). I just practice on junk to check penetration. No need to pattern shots as I know I get repeat 3” spreads from the Nobel #00 I keep it loaded with, from 15’. Being retired I just sometimes feel the need to blow s**t up. Lol My primary backstop is layers of 2x6s plus another layer that the target piece is attached to.

Attachments

• C504C844-3A02-4E11-86F6-D4FDDDB07762.jpeg
    C504C844-3A02-4E11-86F6-D4FDDDB07762.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 13
In my quest to find cheap backstop material for the garange,lol, I tested out some old sewer/ water pipe that I scavenged from a work site nearly 20 years ago. I’ve used these short sections for many things over the years, from planters to shed anchors. I don’t know what schedule pipe they are, but the wall thickness is 2.5” and the pipe OD is 32”. For this experiment I used a previously cut in half piece of this HDPE pipe. I hit it from 15’ with one of the Aquila mini buckshot rounds from the shock wave on the inside radius. Lol. Lead ain’t no match for this stuff..in this scenario anyway. Maybe,maybe 1/2” penetration..including the pellets.. 20994F40-4B5C-4E35-9079-4F6AD49FC0D8.jpeg7393F940-D441-4C1A-88F1-8E6BFBFE3938.jpeg DB58F751-1D8B-4D3D-8E4A-58BC3565AB40.jpeg

Back