• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Awesome !

Wow!

There are a couple things I'm unfamiliar with, like reloading generally, lol, but the powder coat. Is that because it's hard cast lead and no copper jacket?

Wow!

There are a couple things I'm unfamiliar with, like reloading generally, lol, but the powder coat. Is that because it's hard cast lead and no copper jacket?
i hear the powder coat is jacketing that allows faster velocity than bare lead . I have 500 in 180gr 10mm but haven't shot them my self .......lots of folks agree its the best thing thats happend to bare lead since copper jacket

I think the polyester melts a little, lubing the bore. But it's not in there very long so it can't melt much. A little outgassing maybe?

I wonder how much poly is still on the lead once it's recovered?

I have one of those WFT case trimmers for 223 and 300 whatever you wanna call it.

Talk about a time saver.

Last time I used the 223, I had a ton of necks sized before I knew it. So far, I've went through almost a whole pound of ramshot tac and still have brass waiting for the next batch if that tells you how many you can trim in a single sitting. I loaded about 150 on election night passing time waiting on the results :)

Yes he does.

He's awesome like that.

I've noticed that many companies making heavy cast blackout bullets are also using the Hi-tek coating.

Leatherhead bullets, Palmetto projectile, and Missouri bullet company are selling a flat tip powder coated bullet now too. There may be more, but those are off the top of my head.

I wasn't aware that the powder coating was good enough to be launched upwards of 3000 fps without compromising the integrity of the coating. Most companies using the coating put a cap on the velocity around 1400 fps or so on the powder coat. So, I emailed the company importing it and asked them if there is a limit to what velocities may exceed the products capabilities.

I know in firing and recovering the leatherhead blackout bullets at subsonic velocity that it is clear where the coating is absent in the grooves/lands, which indicates that it does in fact rub off due to friction. But the coating probably protects the base of the bullet from the powder burning, which would still be a reduction in leading.

I'll see if I can find a few of the recovered bullets and will take a photo to show what I'm talking about. It's obvious though when looking at them.

I spoke with Donnie Miculek about the hi-tek powder coating today and wanted to pass it along here because it answered some of my earlier questions.

He said he has reports of the coating holding up fine to 2400 fps in certain guns. He didn't go into detail because I know that not all barrels are the same even in the same caliber. Different bore tolerances, rifling type, twist rate, etc. But he did say he had reports of it from some of his customers stating as much.

So, in knowing that powder coat can hold up to those speeds, is very encouraging, especially for pistol shooters because that covers essentially every pistol caliber that I am aware of and even many lower powered carbines (30-30 comes to mind as well as others). Heck, even many 7.62x39's for that matter are around 2400 fps ballpark.

He also said that hi-tek coating was never made to be a replacement for copper jacket, it was designed to be a viable alternative to traditional wax lubes and provide the benefit of being less messy to handle/load and reduce the smoke generated by petroleum based lubricants was its' main design function.

But I think it's pretty apparent that if it reduces lead fouling associated with cast bullets, that would still be a great advantage nonetheless.

Back