• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Awwwww HELL.... I was going to wait until next year but I was weak

I think I have at most about 1500 209 primers. It'll have to do I guess. But that, to me, is plenty.

Pictures Please!!!!!! Let's us also admire your new treasure.

Happy New Year, Brother

Regards
Yeah c'mon man ante up with some more pics or we're gonna hafta shut this thread down as fraud.........................................

Ok, just post some more pics already! We're all dying to see a full length, full frontal shot of that beauty!!

:lol:

Beginning to wonder if Nitesite is so in love with his new girlfriend he can't take time for incriminating pictures?

But Nitesite, we're also wondering if she has a good looking sister?

Come on - let's see at least one full length, full frontal "naked" shot!!!!!!!!!

Best wishes for 2022, my brother!

All in jest!

Regards

Last night I put a second coat of paste wax on the coach gun, both the metal and the wood. It should be impervious to fingerprints and rust for a while.

Waiting on my paper hull Peters 12-ga ammo to come in so I can take some pics and post them up. I think I will include my SAA .45 Colt revolver alongside. So I also waxed all the wood and steel on the SAA (second coat).

And include old style ammo scattered about.

Last edited:
Crap....

Remington Shipping says my paper hull shells won't get here for another 10-15 days.

Dammie.

We'll still be here.

Maybe if you told them the guys at mossberg owners were not very patient they would expedite it.

You think that would help?

Nah, I didn't think so either. You mention mossberg and they may cancel your order altogether LOL

You know that is a good point about paste wax - I need to be more diligent about paste wax application on my long guns as it is superior than an oil/CLP wipedown - I have been using old school Collinite for years on vehicles why not use some on my firearms -

Congratulations on the GORGEOUS CZ Coach Gun - to be honest at the prices I am seeing on GB ($950-1k) it is by and large not a crazy price at all considering the gorgeous finish on it -

I have been the same way lately, I have enough black guns in 556, and enough polymer/functional weapons - at 35, with a 2 year old, I want to start adding firearms of true value and beauty to my safe, with wood stocks and beautiful metal so that I can pass these to my son someday and he will be proud to inherit -

I may have to add the Coach gun to my list of must haves - I am currently high bidder on GB on a beautiful 1970's Wingmaster 870 Riot gun which looks unfired, if for some reason I don't win it I will look into the Coach gun, as well as looking into the Big Boy side loading carbine 357 - I know I want to buy a Silver Boy Youth model and get it engraved with my son's initials -

Great post Sir......

You know that is a good point about paste wax - I need to be more diligent about paste wax application on my long guns as it is superior than an oil/CLP wipedown - I have been using old school Collinite for years on vehicles why not use some on my firearms -

Congratulations on the GORGEOUS CZ Coach Gun - to be honest at the prices I am seeing on GB ($950-1k) it is by and large not a crazy price at all considering the gorgeous finish on it -

I have been the same way lately, I have enough black guns in 556, and enough polymer/functional weapons - at 35, with a 2 year old, I want to start adding firearms of true value and beauty to my safe, with wood stocks and beautiful metal so that I can pass these to my son someday and he will be proud to inherit -

I may have to add the Coach gun to my list of must haves - I am currently high bidder on GB on a beautiful 1970's Wingmaster 870 Riot gun which looks unfired, if for some reason I don't win it I will look into the Coach gun, as well as looking into the Big Boy side loading carbine 357 - I know I want to buy a Silver Boy Youth model and get it engraved with my son's initials -

I applaud your desire to acquire firearms of true value and beauty! Over the years I've dealt with a local (some 40 plus miles away) gunsmith who takes trades and occasionally buys out estate sales. He only sells used guns and while he may have few plastic guns around most are the older ones. And whatever he takes in he goes over to make sure of it's condition. As a suggestion if you have a local gunsmith like this, get to know him and make him aware of what you're interested in. I keep a want list current and occasionally he will call be with a possible candidate. Not sure what you're looking for but you can never go wrong by buying old "JM" Marlin lever guns or pre 1964 Winchesters. Hope you're successful in acquiring the Wingmaster. They are some of the best 870s produced.

Regards

Thanks Ernst wish me luck - I will inquire as to some local gunsmiths for sure - If I do get the Wingmaster I'll be sure to post it - I don't want to bid too high as I really don't 'need' it - I was going to go up to $600-ish if necessary -

I dont want to get into $8-900 range as that would bring me to this Hammer Coach or the Big Boy Carbine I mentioned -

If you saw my safe you'd see I have more than enough tac/defense weapons set up for SHTF - now I want to add heirlooms, I'm just hoping my son will appreciate firearms as I've come to - I never grew up with firearms in my family so its possible to go the opposite way (growing up with a ton and as an adult no interest)

@ricky_bobby

I completely get what you are saying. I'm done with craptastic plastic gun purchases for the rest of my life. 'Cuz I've bought a few, even recently (a Hi-Point 1095). If I get anything, it's going to be expensive and worth passing it along some day.

And you mentioned the Big Boy Carbine...

I have a Big Boy Steel Carbine in .44 Magnum that is simply fantastic. I hope that you one day will have your own Big Boy Carbine.

Thanks Ernst wish me luck - I will inquire as to some local gunsmiths for sure - If I do get the Wingmaster I'll be sure to post it - I don't want to bid too high as I really don't 'need' it - I was going to go up to $600-ish if necessary -

I dont want to get into $8-900 range as that would bring me to this Hammer Coach or the Big Boy Carbine I mentioned -

If you saw my safe you'd see I have more than enough tac/defense weapons set up for SHTF - now I want to add heirlooms, I'm just hoping my son will appreciate firearms as I've come to - I never grew up with firearms in my family so its possible to go the opposite way (growing up with a ton and as an adult no interest)

Back a few decades when I was your age and money was scarce I acquired guns through simple trades. I was always looking for a gun that needed some TLC and a few hours of work in many cases doubled the value and enabled an even better trade. The majority of guns on the market today are, IMO, over priced for their actual street value. Not to say I wouldn't buy a rare or exceptional firearm in todays market but at going street prices I'd pass on lesser quality ones for now.

I'd look closely at local markets where someone might need some cash and you can find a better deal, even if it's potential trading material. As you certainly know this market is cyclic. A few years ago there was a glut of $400 ARs on the market then politics changed. Times will likely change again.

Good "hunting"!

Regards

I did 'stock up' on the $400 AR cycle and the 'golden days' of firearms pricing (circa 2017-2020), I'm always keeping an eye out for local trades too -
For example, these were all purchased brand new in the golden days:

-Beretta 1301T (my favorite semiauto 12G) had for $650 delivered
-My first M&P15 Sport II (first AR) at $400 delivered
-Taurus Model 605 in .357 for $200
-My Mossberg 590 (6 shot tube model) for $250 shipped
-Barnes Precision Patrol Carbine at $600 (this was shortly after the CCP Virus spread so M&P's were already selling at $7-800
-HK VP9 Tactical $500
-HK45 $600
-S&W 642 (no lock) $325 (bought one for me and my wife)

Even at today's street prices, you have to know the market and be smart about what you are purchasing - heirloom type firearms (lever, coach etc) don't intrinsically overinflate as much as panic guns such as AR's AK's etc - Sure I think the 'western cool' of Yellowstone is helping to inflate that segment of the market, but I even see new Colt Pythons settling down to $1500 street price, King Cobra's at $900, so the market is definitely settling down in the non panic segments - surely one heck of a turnaround from 12 months ago where I would tell people to basically buy absolutely nothing -

And considering the inflationary aspect of modern production in America thanks to the illegitimate regime in Washington (elections have consequences and stolen elections have catastrophic consequences), companies like Henry etc I'm sure have a cost that gets passed on to the consumer unfortunately, whether its labor, materials, compliance, regulations, etc - I spoke to our local machine shop owner in Apex NC who manufactures OEM parts for AR's, everything from BCG's to detents, in house, he said the cost of materials alone has a 15-20% direct effect on his cost to make, and that was last month. Getting raw materials and procuring is another completely different story.

My wife and I are fortunate enough to live within our means, we spent quite a few years after we got married constantly carrying debt and felt like money evaporated, we've been debt free for a few years now and I just paid my truck off so we are going to continue to try to be smart and keep zero debt except our home, little man is 2 now so the goal is to plan for his future and keep him grounded for the crazy world he's going to experience - Big Boys, coach guns etc at $900+ aren't something I'm used to looking at and not scoffing at the price, but when there is a beauty and heirloom factor it makes it easier to swallow - its not just 'another black gun' as my wife puts it.

OP, to get back on topic (sorry for the chit chat on your thread) - I also noticed the "Sharptail Coach" from CZ is similar, I am deciding whether your Hammer Coach or Sharptail should be on my wish list, I love the external hammer classic look (double triggers can't be beat), but I do appreciate the Sharptail does not put the weapon on safe automatically when the action closes (similar to your Hammer version) even though its a more 'modern' coach gun - 14.5" LOP is a bit long for me so I am only thinking out loud that the Hammer Coach with the gorgeous buttplate should not be modified at all for obvious reasons, whereas the Sharptail Coach includes a rubber butt pad which can be modified slightly if necessary (blasphemy I know to imagine a smith cutting down a gorgeous walnut stock but a 13-13.5" LOP is more natural for me)

At 5'7" with not the longest wingspan, these are things that always come up for me with long guns.

@ricky_bobby

Hi. Thanks for posting. Your writing skills and your firearm knowledge are well noted here.

I really wanted the external hammer coach shotgun. The Sharptail is pretty nice as well, but I wanted a double barrel which would more "fall open" than a hammerless with which you have to fight spring tension because you are cocking two firing pins when opening the action. And I just love everything about the Hammer Coach model.

So far, my shotgun is still fairly stiff but it is already improving. The tolerances are very close. But I love the look and functionality of those two hammers. And I have seen YouTube video reviews of the Sharptail model where the only complaint (but it's a big one) is how difficult it is to open the action.

Oh, and my Peters Paper ShotShell ammo order is expected to be delivered on Monday!!! Picture day is Tuesday!!!!!!!!!!

Best,

Dave (nitesite)

Dave thanks for the feedback - Show us some more updated gorgeous pics of that double waxed beautiful piece -

I have some time before I decide which of these I 'need', but thanks to you, I definitely know that I 'need' one of them in my life :)

I did find the feedback the same (watching Hickok45's old video)- hammerless tends to need a little umph to fall open, while hammered really just falls (and is more faithful to the original) - Either way its a worthy piece of not only shooting but hanging on your wall and admiring the beauty :)

It’s wonderful to come here, because I always feel like so much less of a gun whore, after looking in my safe.

I would buy more In spite of the current prices, because I don’t expect them to ever come back down, but I don’t have time to use the ones I have.

Dammit.

UPS tracking was showing they would be delivering my Remington-Peters paper hull shotgun ammo on Monday. But now their tracking says it "might be delayed" due to a "possible" winter weather forecast in Nashville.

Shit.

I've got so much 12-ga ammo---- from #9 to #8 to #7.5 to #6 to #4 plus some buck and slugs that I don't really need this paper hull ammo. I could have already shot this double barrel without the paper hull ammo. But when I shoot an 1878 replica shotgun for the first time I want the first few rounds to be authentic.

Know what I mean?

Yep. There is the joy of authentication in what you do.

I have certain tools I will use on my VW and certain tools I do not. They may be OK, but I want the special tools. It just feels better. It just feels right.

And I have that luxury.

And everybody knows that the smoke from paper hull shotgun ammo smells distinctly different after firing than does plastic hull ammo. So there is that holding me back until the paper stuff arrives.

And everybody knows that the smoke from paper hull shotgun ammo smells distinctly different after firing than does plastic hull ammo. So there is that holding me back until the paper stuff arrives.

Dave, I'd wait for a few more days til the real old school" shells arrive. There is nothing better than firing both barrels at the same time, opening the breech and having gun smoke wafting from both ends of the barrels. The smell is wonderful. That's the picture we should see!

This has become the most anticipated event on the forum!!!!!!!

Good luck, brother.

Regards

Back