• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

barrel/ choke selection help

ZombieHunterD

.270 WIN
I have a. M500 that I want to take out every now and then for afew rounds of skeet and also dove hunting with the family. I'm trying to score a 26/28" barrel for under $100if possible. For my purposes should I go with a modified, clect or accuchoke barrel? Accuchoke will be the most versatile and the most expensiv. Is it more than I need for my purposes? Also is the 5 shot barrel the most common? I guess ill just have to eyeball the placement on barrel to see if it right for my shotgun. Thanks

Modified will pretty much cover anything you want to shoot. I used an 870 with a mod choke for many years of skeet and grouse hunting without ever changing the choke tube. Even after buying other chokes I found I rarely changed them very often unless I was turkey or duck hunting.

I always used full for ducks. It was the only choke i had that was steel shot compatable and it gave me a little extra range

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

If you're looking at using it for different purposes like skeet, birds, waterfowl then yes, you may need the accu-choke setup. If just clays then a single choke barrel would work (see how much I've learned in a couple weeks, MikeD) LOL

I'm glad I have the accu-choke on my 930 so I can play different games with it. It came with an IC, Mod and Full. I learned that shooting Full on a 5-stand range is not easy. Used to duck hunt with my Dad years ago but if I decide to try again I'll have the right gear for it.

I am interested in getting new barrel that I can do both duck and waterfowl with the barrel type is the only issue with its modified, improved or full right? I can change out the chokes at the end. I was lookin at this:

Turkey 93025 Adjustable FO 12 GA. 24" Accu - ULTI-FULL only Matte

I believe its threaded at the end on and the barrel is full.. Am I right not sure what ULTI-Full means. Is there anything anyone would recommend.

Smok'em,I would say allot depends on HOW you are going to hunt waterfowl.If you are going to hunt over decoys at fast moving birds you can almost go with an Improved Cylinder Choke.If the birds are flying high then you would need to close up you pattern a little and go with a Modified Choke.The Ultra -full Chokes are used for Turkeys/Block shoots where you have a good solid rest.I like the old C-LECT choke that Mossberg made as you can adjust it in the field without having to carry extra chokes with you.The only drawback to the C-LECT choke is that you really shouldn't use steel shot with it.You would have to purchase Bizmith or some other type of shot for waterfowl.
One of the reason I say the C-lect choke is that when you are carrying ammo,decoys and all the other things like duck calls.Its just easier not have to worry about your accu chokes falling in the water or in the swamp or in the cattails or some other place.(been there done that) :roll:

I use modified for a lot of things. Ducks I switch to full. Turkey I use extra full. I woul for sure go with the 28 inch barrel.

Back