• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Barrel options on the Patriot Night Train in 308

Bowesman

Copper BB
Can anyone offer suggestions to achieve the following:
I’d like to shorten the barrel on my Patriot Night Train in 308, the reason for this is to try and make the set up shorter to accommodate a moderator/suppressor but not making it excessively lengthy as would be the case imho with the standard factory barrel. In retrospect a Patrol would be ideal but that involves a bit of licensing hassle here in the U.K. to change the rifles and I have a sentimental attachment to the rifle I own as it’s a champion boar basher from a Hungarian Hunting trip a few years ago (a very lucky trip).
I generally use it for deer and boar hunting and the ranges are routinely from 50 to 200 yards max.
Anyway your ideas or signposting to aftermarket kit would be appreciate.
Nick

Last edited:
It sounds like what you are proposing could/should be done by a gunsmith. Shortening a rifle barrel is a bit more than just hacking it off with a saw. ;) Ideally, it will be chucked up in a gunsmith's lathe, parted (cut) concentrically to desired length, muzzle cut to a target crown, outside of muzzle threaded for your desired suppressor.

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

Welcome to MO from Canada.

^^^What Bob said. Definitely a job for a gunsmith I'd say. It's possible there's an aftermarket kit available, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say probably not. Unless the Night train barrel is cross-compatible with another more popular rifle model I wouldn't waste my time looking. Instead I'd go looking for a few estimates from your local gunsmiths.

It sounds like what you are proposing could/should be done by a gunsmith. Shortening a rifle barrel is a bit more than just hacking it off with a saw. ;) Ideally, it will be chucked up in a gunsmith's lathe, parted (cut) concentrically to desired length, muzzle cut to a target crown, outside of muzzle threaded for your desired suppressor.

absolately, I’m not going to get all DIY with it I suppose it’ll come down to cost with the gunsmith vs trading in the rifle to get a patrol, which may be a lot of hassle and I’d lose my boar basher

Back