• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Barrel Porting for Shockwave (no debate please)

ricky_bobby

.270 WIN
Hey guys - having trouble seeing a side by side so figured I'd ask for real world experience. In the Sootch00 video (yes he can be a shill) you can see a definitive change in the muzzle rise and recoil snap on the ported barrel he runs (Carlsons I believe?) on the Shockwave, however he also fitted a brace kit so I am hoping someone can let me know if a ported barrel setup alone will make a difference in muzzle control/impulse etc

I'm normally not a ported barrel guy - however I do see some benefits for this weapon - My Shockwave was purchased cheap enough so I don't mind the investment -

Also, pricing/vendors - I see Carlson's ported barrels for about $180 - Gabe Suarez does them for about $150 or so, and Vang Comp comes in with their full "system" installed for $255 on my barrel -

Is there anyone else besides the 3 that is reputable and I should look into? A bonus is I can get a fiber optic or tritium sight at the same time. Once I get my furniture sorted this will be my next "maybe" mod to complete the Shockwave.

I do not have a shockwave but a couple of my shotgun barrels are/were ported.

I do not notice any reduction in recoil or barrel rise but there is a maked differene the the amount of noise directed back at you esp. in enclosed places.

I shot a turkey from an enclosed blind. The end of the barrel extended past the window but the porting did not, the noise unbelievable. I ended up cutting the barrel and rethreading the choke tubes due to the difference in noise.

I would think in a shorter barreled gun like a shockwave it would be horrible.

But that's just my experience, YMMV.

I have the Vang Comp on a 20" and noticed a difference in recoil and tighter pattern . I had the forcing cone and back bore done as well though......like mike said , it makes a bigger bang in an upward direction. I only notice it when I shoot from under shelter.

Back