• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Barrel swap?

Razzle

OK...I'm about to put my Mossberg ignorance on full display.

The Shockwave is the only Mossberg I've ever owned. It's probably my favorite firearm to shoot, but it's purpose is limited. I want to change that a bit. I'd like to pick up a barrel for hunting (and, of course, a stock) and use it for hunting. Yes, I know that it would be easier to just buy another shotgun, but I want a "convertible" shotgun that can be configured for multiple purposes.

So here's my question: Which barrel (24" or longer) will fit the Shockwave for these purposes? I'd like to be able to swap chokes if needed. Will a 500 barrel fit, or only 590 barrels? I've looked around the forum for answers, but haven't found anything that answered my questions? Maybe I'm searching incorrectly.

Thanks in advance for any help.

OK...I'm about to put my Mossberg ignorance on full display.

The Shockwave is the only Mossberg I've ever owned. It's probably my favorite firearm to shoot, but it's purpose is limited. I want to change that a bit. I'd like to pick up a barrel for hunting (and, of course, a stock) and use it for hunting. Yes, I know that it would be easier to just buy another shotgun, but I want a "convertible" shotgun that can be configured for multiple purposes.

So here's my question: Which barrel (24" or longer) will fit the Shockwave for these purposes? I'd like to be able to swap chokes if needed. Will a 500 barrel fit, or only 590 barrels? I've looked around the forum for answers, but haven't found anything that answered my questions? Maybe I'm searching incorrectly.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I have been told on this site that technically, putting on a stock or a longer barrel would then make your shockwave a “ true shotgun” and therefore returning it to shockwave trim would be illegal. But practically speaking, how would anybody ever know there had been a temporary alteration? My question would be more along the lines of how would you attach the barrel to the mag tube with the lug now quite a ways away?

This has been an item discussed many times without a definitive legal answer to the best of my knowledge.

If you add a longer barrel to a Shockwave, without making any other modification, it remains a "firearm" under the Shockwave definition.

However, if you "then" add a shoulder stock then it becomes a "shotgun".

If you first add a shoulder (without changing the barrel) stock then it becomes a SBS. Not something you want to do.

The questionable legal issue is the reconversion of the "shotgun" to a "firearm" configuration. I've heard several opinions but I've never seen an official ruling.

"Assume" you could reverse the original conversion steps by first removing the shoulder stock and then removing the longer barrel before you reinstall the short barrel. However, I'm not sure I'd personally make this assumption and risk the fine.

My recommedation - just buy a used 500 or a 88 and swap hunting barrels as needed. Keep your Shockwave in it's original configuration.

Regards

At this point, I would just call it a "Mossberg 590"... ;)

PS: the SW receiver is a 590 receiver. To use 500 accys, you will have to swap the mag tube. Does it say "Shockwave" anywhere on it?

Typically any mossberg pump barrel of the same guage us interchangable but you may gave to also swap the magazine tube to match the lug on the barrel

I often use a 500 barrel on my 835. I just swap a 500 magazine tube as well.

This works within models of the same guage. I.e 500, 535, 590, 835. This does not work with the semi autos.

Note your round length will be limited to the smaller of the barrel / receiver.

Example, my 500 barrel is only rated for 3" shells. When used on an 835 receiver which is rated for 3.5" shells, the total combination is limited to a max shell length of 3"

All that said I'm not sure if there are other design differences in the shockwave that would limit this. If it uses a std 590 receiver you should be good to go. Also be aware of any legal snares as already detailed.

Too bad Mossy doesn’t sell this flex package anymore. It’s exactly what you are looking for.
167EA785-702C-4E6B-9ECC-E9F2FDDD98B2.jpeg

Mossberg Maverick 88 is what I would get. I've got the Security model and it works just as smooth as my 590 or my old 500

I forgot about the mag tube swap. I should have remembered that because my Shockwave used a different (shorter) Streamlight TL-Racker than the one that fits on the 500. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Back