• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bear spray ?

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
I have very little big bear experience and no dealing with them were i live. I have hunted in bear country a couple times and had zero encounter. However my sister does live in bear country in Alaska and spends alot of time remote outdoors. In fact last week she sent a video she made of some big as brown bears and we had a pretty heated debate about it as i did not see a firearm. She said we had our bear spray and i pretty much went ballistic. Just sent her this article. Ive already said i have limited knowledge but a strong survival instinct and im pretty sure if ya bring an aerosol can to a bear fight you may get your arse handed to you or worse ?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.am...2017/09/bear-spray-failure-bow-hunter-mauled/

I have very little big bear experience and no dealing with them were i live. I have hunted in bear country a couple times and had zero encounter. However my sister does live in bear country in Alaska and spends alot of time remote outdoors. In fact last week she sent a video she made of some big as brown bears and we had a pretty heated debate about it as i did not see a firearm. She said we had our bear spray and i pretty much went ballistic. Just sent her this article. Ive already said i have limited knowledge but a strong survival instinct and im pretty sure if ya bring an aerosol can to a bear fight you may get your arse handed to you or worse ?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.am...2017/09/bear-spray-failure-bow-hunter-mauled/

I carry both when I'm in Alaska. There are good statistics out there and every bear attack is pretty well investigated these days. Surprisingly, according to the math, you're less likely to be injured by a bear if you deploy bear spray than if you try to deploy a firearm.

I've never had to use either against a bear, but I'd probably reach for spray first. It's faster to deploy, more effective at actually stopping a charging bear, and has a wider effective area than a 12ga slug.

It's light weight, unobtrusive, and relatively idiot proof under stress. It can also be effectively used by children that can't safely operate a magnum revolver or shotgun.

Only drawback to carrying bear spray is that you can't fly commercially with it, not even in checked luggage. Most charter planes in Alaska have air tight storage containers in their wing pods just for haz-mat sprays, so they're equipped to safely handle a leaky canister. No chance of macing the pilot...

Guard Alaska (pack of 2) 9 oz. Bear Spray Repellent Firemaster Canisters & (pack of 2) Pepper Enforcement Metal Belt Clip Holsters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HE10PG6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_NuZUzbHPZWDSG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im thinking no wind and a half hearted probing attack it deters. But i have my doubts in a full on death attack or windy day id ever be convinced to stake my life on it. Fight for my life im pretty well set on give it my all with deadly force. Statisticians or not i cant buy into the less than lethal approach. Deterent maybe kinda like a bear bell but once engaged hell no.

Send her this:

grizzly_bear_warning_sign.jpg

In all fairness and honesty though, last numbers that I saw, more people were mauled by black bear than grizzly bears, and many people think that a bear will instinctively run away from you, but that's not always the case.

Bears get territorial just like a dog does.

You ever been chased and hemmed up by a dog?

A bear is worse.

With or without cubs.

And you won't outrun one. They can sprint up to about 35 mph in open land especially downhill, which is faster than a horse runs.

My bear repellant consists of max hand loads using longshot powder in my 357 (they really are loaded hot), 44 magnum, or 12 ga buckshot or slug.

I may consider my .40 S&W, but they are loaded upwards of 1400 fps using 155 gr bullets, which is up into 10mm territory.

Don't take chances.

With her having larger brown and grizzlies and when you care enough to send the very best; 12 gauge. Except no substitute.

Last edited:
Yes and actually numbers are quite low of any attacks. But i think purposely tempting fate without a "safety net" aint to smart. The experience certainly incredible 99 times but that one time when mr bear goes off script well i invaribly hear same comments "i could hear my skull cracking as he bit me" . she sends awesome pics but not taking her ability to defend self is infuriating to me. Heres a couple these are not some long range super camera this is a cell phone.FullSizeR1.jpg IMG_10831.jpg

I should probably say were not talking about a blooming idiot my lil sis has a phd from Duke, she spent 10 yrs with state dept working around the world in some very dangerous places. She has skills but at times i feel common sense goes out the window.

My little sister is the same way.

Sometimes I think she was adopted.

Mine is smart and tough as nails but we call her wooden head. Over educated World traveled, years as ER doc, 3rd degree blackbelt, common sense of a possum.

Yes and actually numbers are quite low of any attacks. But i think purposely tempting fate without a "safety net" aint to smart. The experience certainly incredible 99 times but that one time when mr bear goes off script well i invaribly hear same comments "i could hear my skull cracking as he bit me" . she sends awesome pics but not taking her ability to defend self is infuriating to me. Heres a couple these are not some long range super camera this is a cell phone.

Yeah, that's uncomfortably close. No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy. That's why I believe if someone has the option and training to carry both a high powered firearm and spray, they probably should. I, personally, like to have the option and will decide which one to reach for as the situation unfolds. Like you mentioned in your post above, a stiff breeze back towards yourself would just add insult to injury as you bleed out with a crushed skull.

I once went head-to-head toe-to-toe with a very angry badger. It was PISSED at me. I was so petrified with fear that I don't even recall the gun or the caliber.

Haha. I know the feeling. There's a wolverine that dens somewhere in close proximity to my cabin. I've caught a few trail cam pictures of him in the middle of the night. As I was getting dressed to go outside, I had to choose between holding a camera in my hands or holding a shotgun. I chose the shotgun.

I can't even imagine what a chaotic blur it would have been if I'd crossed paths with him in the dark.

Definitely carry pepper spray, humans are pretty bland and the pepper is really needed to make us palatable.

As far as Chevy vs Ford...not Dodge.

I would not want to confront an animal worse than an angry possum without a firearm.

In Bear Country I want a 12 gauge double barrel with slugs & a bayonet and a grenade launcher that shoots bear repellent cans alternating with anti-bear explosives.

And a gun Bearer to carry the damn thing for me!

This happened just the other day:

CBS/AP September 21, 2017, 5:17 PM
Bear attack prompts officials to close hiking trails in Virginia park

more here: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/douthat-state-park-bear-attack-hiking-trails-closed-millboro-virginia/

Wow. Attacked from behind while walking with two dogs. That's not reactionary or defensive behavior (she didn't surprise this particular bear).

That black bear needs to be put down double-quick. And it wouldn't hurt to also kill any other bear in the state that resembles it, just to be certain.

Wow. Attacked from behind while walking with two dogs. That's not reactionary or defensive behavior (she didn't surprise this particular bear).

That black bear needs to be put down double-quick. And it wouldn't hurt to also kill any other bear in the state that resembles it, just to be certain.

Id be having a pretty strong sit down with my dogs too.

Back