• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best price for .223/5.56

Trop's is about 45 minutes from me and I was in there yesterday after a funeral. They do have the American Eagle in stock. I don't know how they are for mail order. They just moved into a bigger building, added an indoor range and ramped up mail order sales. The new owners have improved it greatly in the last 2 years.

John, that's awful but I'm glad you posted it. I should have mentioned that I haven't bought from those companies. I just included them since they had some of the lower prices. I bought 1000 rounds of Prvi Partisan for $310 before the uproar and here's hoping it keeps creeping back down.

Last edited:
I ordered some 9mm 147 gr from freedom munitions, and it was one big screw up after another.

First, their site says shipping in 3-5 days.

Then about a week later, they have a sale with free shipping or something and apparently got swamped.

My order went out on the 16th (more than 2 weeks after I placed it), then ups lost it for almost a full 2 weeks, then I finally got it.

Or at least half of it because they only shipped half of my order.

I called, they were apologetic and shipped out the other half of my order, which arrived one month and 5 days after I initially placed the order.

I am not inclined to buy anything else from them. I can do without the aggravation and drama.

@carbinemike , I have been watching the prices. I have picked up several boxes of ammo lately.

Wow that sucks. Sorry man. Placed an order last week and it's coming in tomorrow.

Trop's is about 45 minutes from me and I was in there yesterday after a funeral. They do have the American Eagle in stock. I don't know how they are for mail order. They just moved into a bigger building, added an indoor range and ramped up mail order sales. The new owners have improved it greatly in the last 2 years.

John, that's awful but I'm glad you posted it. I should have mentioned that I haven't bought from those companies. I just included them since they had some of the lower prices. I bought 1000 rounds of Prvi Partisan for $310 before the uproar and here's hoping it keeps creeping back down.

I ordered 500 rounds of Federal 7.62x51 from TROP about 2 weeks ago, they shipped it within a day, and I had it in hand 2 days later (granted that I'm not far from PA ;) )

And I actually laughed out loud when I read their shipping confirmation email. The subject title was something along the lines of "Your trop box of awesome has shipped".

I got an email from chattanooga shooting supply this morning with Russian 7.62x39 for $3.99 a box/20. I've not seen prices like that in about 7 years.

I picked up 2 cases of x39 from http://ammunitionstore.com/ a while back that came with a free AK mag w/each case for $209 each that I thought was decent price. Especially including a mag with it.

The main reason I think that the prices are coming down, people bought a lot of ammo in the last few years and still have a lot, so people aren't buying as much. I'm crossing my fingers that 22LR is not far behind making a comeback.

Myself, I am taking advantage of the availability and pricing and am ordering what I can, when I can. That BS of not knowing when another box was going to be on the shelf for months at a time does not sit well with me.

Instead of buying a bunch of different guns, I have earmarked most of my gun money toward ammo.

I don't know that you can ever have enough ammo, but I'm trying my best to test that theory LOL

Going along the same thread, how about match ammo for 5.56/223? Has anyone had luck with the Prvi Partizan match in either 69 or 75 gr? I've shot some of the 75, but not enough to confirm performance. aimsurplus.com has 69gr for $9.50/20, which seemed pretty decent.

JohnA…. picked up my order from Freedom Munitions. It was seamless. I think you got a Murphy's law moment with them. I snagged some .223 55gr Vmax from them and I'm going to be testing out some different brands when I get in the MVP. If Freedom groups as well as Hornady Vmax brand I'll be buying from Freedom at half the cost.

has anyone used the brass credit program that freedom offers? i know a lot of you are reloaders, but ive been saving all of mine, and everyone elses that shoots here an doesnt pick it up. does it really offset the cost by much with the price of shipping? i havent really done the math yet to find out.

i plan to start reloading and even bullet casting in time, but for now its more feasible for me to use an exchange to discount my purchase. if its really a viable alternative

at $2.50 a pound you could probably make the shipping costs back…. but the kicker is…. you have to ship the brass to them so that eats away at the discount.

I have done the brass exchange process with them when it first started with a bunch of glock fired .40 brass - it worked pretty seamless. Made the order take longer, but not bad otherwise. Best way to do it is large flat rate USPS boxes - get about 50 lbs of brass in one (depending on casing). Let me tell you, the postmaster was not very pleased when I showed up with a dozen large flat rates that weighed 50 lbs each! but at $15 to ship, I figure I still did ok considering it was brass I wasn't going to use and didn't have the time/energy to deal with the hassle of trying to sell it individually. It got me $1500 in ammo for $180...and I'm still shooting it...back in the days of $170/case 9mm and $270/case 55gr .223.

Stanley, look into Wolf ammo they have brass and steel. Have ran hundreds, if not thousands of both. In both handguns and long guns. Never had an issue.

Thanks, but I can't legally sell ammo BUT you can reload similar loads with a fairly minimal investment IF you are going to stick with it.

I'll be happy to discuss my setup if you are interested!

mingaa knows his schidt about reloading, so if you have questions about getting started or more advanced topics I would trust his advice.

And he's correct, it is illegal to sell (or even trade) any ammo that one has reloaded without a federal license.

I've had good luck with the FM stuff, both the new and reman have run through the SR40 very well...I don't have any reloading equipment so I have done the Brass Program...a guy can pack alot into those "if it fits it ships" boxes :)

Back