• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best shotgun for a Beginning Skeet Shooter

hey all,

I have finally got around to buying a Mossberg 500 20 gauge , (forgive me if I don't know exactly which one seeing how I am buying it off a good friend on Friday.). I Wanted to know how I can go about changing out the barrel to a full 28" from the stock 18" (i think :? ). Is it hard to do? What stock would you guys recommend? Apparently I would need a choke to shoot skeet?

My main purpose to getting this gun is for sport and second for home defense. I would ultimately like to be able to change out the barrel, the stock and optics for when I go skeet shooting. Then when I go home to clean it I would like to change it back to a home defense gun with a shorter barrel.

Any insight to how I can accomplish this would be great (if it is even possible.... )

thank you!

Changing barrels is an easy function, changing stocks is a it more complicated.

The only gun I owned for many years was a 870 pump with 28" barrel.

I went through many thousangs of rounds with that gun between hunting and clays and never felt I needed anything else. I'm not referring specifically to the 870 but just the versatility of a basic pump gun with a selection of chokes.

By simply changing out the chokes it was my do all gun. Skeet choke for skeet and grouse hunting, full choke for trap and turkey hunting, improved cyl or modified for everything else.

It was only recently that I got into the Mossbergs and started playing more with different barrels/guns for different tasks.

Edit: FYI My current HD gun is tht same 870 with a Hogue short LPO stock and a turkey barrel. The turkey barrel is short enough top maneuver easily through th house yet still long enough to be an OK wingshooing barrel. It also has choke tubes to customize the pattern, which is also helpful for a HD gun if shooting buck.

I guess when I said stock I used it incorrectly..... I meant to say but stock .... I can see how changing the stock would be very difficult.

BigB1347 said:
I guess when I said stock I used it incorrectly..... I meant to say but stock .... I can see how changing the stock would be very difficult.

Mossberg is working on a quick change system but it is not out yet.

http://www.flexyourmossberg.com/

BigB1347 said:

Changing the Stock or Butt Stock.

1) Remove the 2 screws in the Butt pad.
2) Take a long Flat head Screwdriver and unscrew the stock.

Reassemble in opposite order. :D

very cool. Ok i have an ATI pistol grip for it, but I have read in the forums that some of you guys (and gals) don't like shooting with it. Would you recommend that I use a traditional set up while shooting skeet or would i be good to go with a pistol grip? Also any recommendations on barrels and where to get a good deal on them?

The pistol grip is entirely your call.
Not my cup of tea since I use my guns for the clay games and wing shooting.
I shoot ALL my shotguns with traditional stocks.

As for a good place to get a barrel, look on Ebay and Gunbroker.
Buy used and look for a good deal.
12ga barrels are everywhere, 20ga not as much.
Make sure that you get a barrel that takes/has Accu chokes.
Check both places a couple of times a day.

I know that you are looking for a 28" barrel ........BUT
I just saw this one on Ebay.
Accu chokes are the same thread pattern as Winchester, Weatherby and Browning Invector

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mossberg-500-20 ... 53eeced8df

I hunt and shoot Skeet with a 26" Barrel on my 500, 12ga. I prefer the shorter barrel for trecking through the woods. A 24" would work as well.
If you get into Trap then you will want a 12ga in the future with as long a barrel as you can find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/mossberg-500-20 ... 4d04eea33a

^^^^^^This is probably the one I would get 26" and the price is $75.
I would not pay anymore than that for a barrel.

Ok last question for now. I have a pistol grip that is for a 12 ga 500, will it fit the 20 ga version of the same model?

I THINK that they are interchangeable.
I am not positive but I would appreciate the correct answer as well.
I have one that fits my 12ga and am thinking about selling it and knowing the answer would help with the sale.

Most likely yes but the 20g receiver is a bit narrower so there will be a slight overhang

Sent from my G19 using Tapatalk 2

Back