• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

BIG revolver as the ultimate home defense weapon.

Just last week.....

We had a man ask for an officer so he could report a criminal complaint that some dude was calling him on the phone and threatening him because the caller somehow thought the homeowner was seeing his girlfriend. Caller said he was going to come pay him a visit sometime soon. Report made.

Cop left after making report, and twenty minutes later the jealous boyfriend actually shows up at the guys home. He uses a 4"x4" post to start smashing out windows and yells that he's there to kill him. All caught on cell phone voice recordings. When he breaks thru the glass in the front door and reaches inside he then twists the inside door lock open and then pulls the front door open and steps across the threshold.

Homeowner fires a .30-30 lever action rifle at the assailant and puts a hole thru his sternum and blows out his spinal column. You could push a 5-D-Cell MagLight thru the hole.

Guy made the shot in dim/poor light at 3:00 in the morning.

Last edited:
Good for that guy, 2 birds with one stone, 1, dealt with the intruder, 2 saved the taxpayers money with no trial. Win win.

Wonder how big of a hole the mighty 45/70 gov't would leave.

A buddy of mine just bought a S&W Model 69 revolver. It's not one you see often.

The Model 69 is a S&W L-Frame five-shot .44-Magnum. Four inch barrel. Stainless, of course since it starts with a "6".

It has a very nice balance and feel in the hand.

I sometimes set out my 5.5" SAA in .45 Colt for a nightstand gun, and I've often holstered it up when I'm working around the yard so I could pretend to be some ranch hand dude. When bullets get this big there ain't no need for hollow points. Of course, there is always that pesky little problem with leaving an exit hole......

Nite, for a nerd, you sure do have some sexy lead!!!

When Smiff and Western reintroduced the Model 22 as the Thunder Ranch Revolver Model 22, with a square butt and four screws I just had to have one. Talk about a great big-bore self-defense revolver! Fixed sights, size, heft, a great cartridge, and Moonclips, Baby!!!!

The serial number on the one I bought was TRR0022 which I thought was very cool.

Does a successful center mass hit count as good quality shot placement? If so, I'd think it might make a very big difference what the velocity/projectile/delivery system is. A center mass hit by a 9mm is not going to have the same effect as nine 00 buck pellets on a fit and determined (drug crazed) attacker. Take care. Tom Worthington

Well, of course it wouldn't. A 9mm Luger bullet diameter is 0.35" inches and each 00-Buck pellet is 0.33" inches and both the 9mm and the 00-Buck are each going about 1200-1300 FPS. Depth of penetration and wound trauma may differ of course.

But in defense of the 9mm round, it is a marvelously successful self-defense cartridge.

Depth of penetration and wound trauma may differ of course

And that is where people fail in this comparison.....never is the weight and bullet technology accounted for when people compare 9mm to a 00 pellet

a fair comparison would be nine 9mm's vs 9 00 pellets

Never feel vulnerable or outgunned with this S&W Model 629...

Wife's SD gun is a S&W model 60. Only 5 shots, but she's pretty good with it. Mine runs from .41 mag Ruger BH to 12 gage Mossy 590.

GailsSW.jpg~original

Ruger.jpg~original

m590full.jpg~original

I'm thinking that most lead hitting your body is gonna make you stop and think, slow you down or put you down.
if not just pull the trigger again. and again. we certainly are not worried about 1 shot kills here. so you really need
to be ready for pulling the trigger more than once. if it takes a lot more than that then you need more target practice !

For home defense I prefer something that won't go threw the walls in my house and into the neighbors.

For home defense I prefer something that won't go threw the walls in my house and into the neighbors.

That's a legit concern for folks with close neighbors. I don't have any within a 1/4 mile thru the woods in any direction. :)

I don't think there is a right answer here. use what you feel comfortable with. in reality, if you are in mortal danger and this forces you to fire, I doubt that at that moment much thought is given to much else.

I don't think there is a right answer here. use what you feel comfortable with. in reality, if you are in mortal danger and this forces you to fire, I doubt that at that moment much thought is given to much else.

That is exactly right, and why it should be thought out in advance. ;)

Back