• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Black Bear?

If I do any kind of mount it will kust be the skill. Unless I get a real monster. I'm kind of cheap when it comes to these things.

I guess it depends on what I end up doing with the skull, bit I don't see why not. Any particular tooth?

Oh boy! Sweet!...thanx Mike.....
The fang...idk what the name is....but the big ones in front.....

I'd be willing to buy a few toe nails/claws off of you so I could make a couple of necklaces.

Yes Sir, I think I can spare a few claws if I bag one.

Now the bigger question, gun or bow?

If gun: shotgun, rifle? Handgun is out. My biggest handgun at the moment is a .357 and I don't feel that it is enough to humanely do the job.

If bow: Compound, recurve or longbow?

I've only hunted bear twice before , Once with a compound and once with a recurve. I didn't get a shot either time but it was fun nonetheless. This time around I have a retired father who will help be bait (assuming his health permits). My dad has aken 2 or 3 now with a bow so I feel a little need to step up there. :-D

I'd go with a large caliber rifle, or slug.

But that's just me personally. I'm not that great of a shot at long distance with a bow.

Holy cow......your dad offered to be bait? What a crazy man! Does he do a bear dance or just flop around on the ground like a fish?

Lol.

ripjack13 said:
Holy cow......your dad offered to be bait? What a crazy man! Does he do a bear dance or just flop around on the ground like a fish?

Lol.

Some things are better left unseen. As long as it brings in the bears......

Whatever happens at hunt camp stays at hunt camp. LOL

Plans are set! Heading up over labor day to set bait and some trail cams. Opening day is a week later.

I know where I'm going to hunt. This stand has not been used for deer or bear for a couple years and it's in a prime spot.

MikeD, I hope you get to tag one.

Since you said you were allowed to bait, use the smelliest stuff you can find.

Mollasses and sardines and expired jelly filled pastries from a local deli are obvious choices.

Wish we had a season this early in the year. Our's is usually the weekend before Christmas (when they're likely to be denning) :roll:

Also, a good way to do the mollasses is buy a spray bottle, and then use a gallon of water per bottle of mollasses, and get the water to a boil, add the mollasses and stir it occasionally for about 5 minutes until it's well blended.

Then fill the sprayer with the liquid and spray/mist it all over and around the area you're going to be watching. on bushes and leaves and stumps, the ground, just go nuts with it.

This gets the smell up in the air (especially with a breeze) and will carry for long distances and is better than just pouring it out on the ground where it is going to be soaked up and not as effective.

I plan on dumping a few hundred pounds of corn, with a bit of molasis and some meat fats as a teaser. I've been saving bacon grease for the last year and my dad picked up a 5 gal bucket of stuff for me to use. I have a 55gal drum feeder for the corn that is strappped to a tree so they can't just dump it (they have in the past, amazing how fast a couple bear can eat a few hundred pounds of corn). I have a week between my baiting trip and the beginning of my hunt.

I know the pastries work good but I tried talking to the local bakeries but they didn't want to work with me on getting the day old scraps.

Bacon grease is good. Don't know why I didn't mention it before, but they love it and it casts a scent really well when the sun heats up the old grease. Especially if you can smear it around your plot. The more you spread the stuff around in the general area where you are baiting, the better your chances of them picking up the scents and finding it in such a short amount of time

You'd probably have to use a couple ratchet tie down straps to keep them from turning over the barrel I suppose.

Minimum of two ratchet straps seems to work pretty good.

I made it up last weekend. I set a few 100 lb's of corn, lots of bacon grease, some chocolate fristing, some fish remains from our trip to the lake and my trail cam. If that doesn't bring them in I'm not sure what will.

I just hope if it brings them in that it will also hold them til I get back up there.

Bait Barrel:
BearHunting001.jpg

Trail Cam, fairly well hidden:
BearHunting002.jpg

Tree stand:
BearHunting003.jpg

You sure picked out a pretty spot

You can't make it out in the picture but there is water in the lake beds beyond the bait. Some years it's dry but this year there is a bit of water. That makes it even more apealing. :-D

Don't know if i mentioned it before here but i bought a bag of Cob Corn to lay in front of my camera. Heard it was a great deer attractant. I ended up with 20+ bears on my camera within 2 or 3 weeks. The main ingredient was molasses. I was running into bears when i was walking in there to check my cams and according to the date and time on my pics, some of the bears were there an hour before i showed up.

That's cool Gary. Is that your deer blind or do you hunt bear as well.

That is my deer and elk blind Mike. I gave up hunting bear as i have lost the taste for it. I laid out the Corn cause i heard it was good for deer and i got one deer feeding on it and the rest were bears. Before i laid it out my camera was getting elk and deer pics all the time and that's why i chose this spot to build the blind. I shot my last bear two years ago and 20 years ago the time before that. Wife said that bear pepperoni tasted great and it did but when you have 60 pounds of pepperoni, the novelty wears off pretty fast.

We have to be careful baiting early seasons for deer here because the bears will find it as well. We try to find something that bears won't eat, usually veggies (sugarbeats, carrots, pumpkin, etc.).

I see your point about the pepperoni.

Back