• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Black Bear?

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Put in for my tag today.

It's taken me 5 years of accumulating "preference points" to get to the point where I have even a reasonable shot of getting one for the unit and date that I want.

Trying for the earliest season so I can get some days in before they start running the dogs on them.

Anyone else going to hunt bear this year?

Boy, I wish I could. We have a really bad bear problem here and there's very little we can realistically do.

Our Bear season is usually the weekend before Christmas (*when they're likely to be hibernating).

They are going to graciously allow us a week to run them with dogs sometime late summer, they say to instill a fear of humans into them, but no one is allowed to kill one. Only chase them. :roll:

Stupid politicians.

John A. said:
Stupid politicians.

:x

run? oh...like exercise. :roll: i can see their point. the bears are really fat....i guess they need some exercise.

John A. said:
Boy, I wish I could. We have a really bad bear problem here and there's very little we can realistically do.

Our Bear season is usually the weekend before Christmas (*when they're likely to be hibernating).

They are going to graciously allow us a week to run them with dogs sometime late summer, they say to instill a fear of humans into them, but no one is allowed to kill one. Only chase them. :roll:

Stupid politicians.

They have tried to ban bear hunting here but so far have been unsuccessfull.

Politicians should not be allowed to be in charge of wildlife management. Contrary to what many animal rights groups believe, restricting hunting too much is bad for the population as it throws things out of balance and forces conflict between animals and humans. In an untouched world things will balance themselves out but in a world where people are contantly encrouching on the animals turf, it does not work that way.

Ever watch South Park? Southpark: How to get around hunting laws.

MikeD said:
John A. said:

Stupid politicians.

They have tried to ban bear hunting here but so far have been unsuccessfull.

Politicians should not be allowed to be in charge of wildlife management. Contrary to what many animal rights groups believe, restricting hunting too much is bad for the population as it throws things out of balance and forces conflict between animals and humans. In an untouched world things will balance themselves out but in a world where people are contantly encrouching on the animals turf, it does not work that way.

Ever watch South Park? Southpark: How to get around hunting laws.
It took me 5 years to get drawn for grizzly. Right now the environmental group David Suzuki Foundation is trying to ban grizzly hunting. You don't hear nothing from these people all year but like clockwork every year, they put their "Ban Bear Hunts" on tv the day before bear season opens. Grizzly hunting has already been banned in Alberta. These people spout off without knowing any facts. Us as hunters in British Columbia contribute 350 million every year into the economy. As long as there's money filling pockets, there will always be hunting here. Without hunting, we would be so over populated with animals and that would give them something else to complain about.

LOL Mike. I was looking at your profile pic. I thought all along it was a seal but just realized now it's a cat hahahaha.

Gary Murray said:
LOL Mike. I was looking at your profile pic. I thought all along it was a seal but just realized now it's a cat hahahaha.

It's from a spooky cat video I found. I posted the video somewhere in the explain your avatar and screen name thread.

I worry about the future of hunting. It seems that fewer and fewer people are hunting, it is not as socially accepted as it was when I was younger and the quality of many new hunters has deteriorated*. All of which, I fear will allow the hunting culture to lose ground in the long run.

* I feel the reason for this deterioration is due to the fact that many people taking up hunting today did not grow up in a hunting family where the values of nature, safety and basic ethics were stressed in every aspect of the hunt as well as conservatism and true respect for the animals. Many are jumping on board with the wack-them-and-stack-them attitude or the belief that hunting is all about the trophy.

MikeD said:
I worry about the future of hunting. It seems that fewer and fewer people are hunting, it is not as socially accepted as it was when I was younger and the quality of many new hunters has deteriorated*. All of which, I fear will allow the hunting culture to lose ground in the long run.

* I feel the reason for this deterioration is due to the fact that many people taking up hunting today did not grow up in a hunting family where the values of nature, safety and basic ethics were stressed in every aspect of the hunt as well as conservatism and true respect for the animals. Many are jumping on board with the wack-them-and-stack-them attitude or the belief that hunting is all about the trophy.

It is not socially accepted at all by people my age. It really sucks because I get stuck going out with a bunch of old farts :p

More deer for me! Or black bears in this case...

Check this story out and all the antis coming down on this guy for shooting a black bear in the comment section below. If it was a regular Joe Blow then no one would care but he's a player with the Vancouver Canucks hockey team of the N.H.L.. Even Team 1040 sports radio in Vancouver were slamming him along with people calling in to say their 2 cents. A lot of people can't handle that we got knocked out of the playoffs early so they are venting on David Booth and saying he should be working on his puck and stick handling instead of shooting poor bears lol. Read the comments at the bottom of the article and you'll see what i mean.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...wn+bear+bait+hunting+video/6633893/story.html

Gary, I read some of the comments posted and it makes me want to stand up and spit and start talking with my hands.

Makes me want to go on a full on rant.

People should never critisize another mans faith in God or judge whether he is a Christian or not.

The Bible told me that people were guilty of that even back in the days that Jesus walked and he grabbed a stick and wrote a few things in the dust and dared those that were not guilty to throw the first stone.

After reading some of those replies, makes me glad I don't have to put up with that kind of immature, childish banter.

Furthermore, does anyone think for a single second that baiting bear is the reason they learn how to eat out of your garbage cans?

I'm telling you folks, that's not the reason at all.

They do it because it's convienent and easy and there is no reason for them to be afraid to.

Ewwww, that really chapped my hide. :evil:

Nothin but a bunch of keyboard cowboys.....i hate when people troll over the dumbest thing. I bet I could find fault with everyone those sinners.....cuz they certainly aint no saints.

ripjack13 said:
Nothin but a bunch of keyboard cowboys.....i hate when people troll over the dumbest thing. I bet I could find fault with everyone those sinners.....cuz they certainly aint no saints.

Agreed.

Sometimes, and I think this is one of those times, I feel it's just better to hold my tongue. (My comment is directed to those commenting on the article not anything anyone on this board has said).

Yep..my comment as well...soory for not saying that...you guys rock!

For sure guys. The comments aren't just people commenting on their distaste for hunting. These are down right attacks in the worst form. When you start attacking someones faith or belief in God, then you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I hate the wait. Results of the bear applications are not posted until June 25th.

MikeD,
Wow! thats way different than here. Bear tags are super easy to come by and inexpensive. I always pick up with my deer/elk tags, that way I'm sure not to see one...well thats the way it usually works out....lol

Good luck! sorry to hear, you gotta leap through hoops just to get a tag!

Just checked the DNR web site for drawing results....

"Congratulations! You are successful in the 2012 Bear Drawing."

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Nice!!!!! Pix when you get one! What are you going to do with its head? Mount it? If not....can I have a tooth?

Back