• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Black Dog 22LR Conversion Magazines

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I just wanted to give a shameless shout out and plug for Black Dog Magazines.

They make the popular plastic magazines for use in the 22LR conversion mags that can be used in 5.56/223 uppers as well as drums and things for 10/22's, etc.

I got one of the JA Ceiner conversions several years ago that I have used in the dedicated/suppressed 22LR upper I built and bought one of the black dog magazines when they first came out.

Needless to say, it has seen a lot of use and this week, it finally tuckered out.

The feed lip cracked and it puked out 5 or 6 bullets back out onto the table.

I emailed BDM's customer service and within a day got a reply that they were going to send me one of the new Xform magazines with stainless steel feed lips to replace it with, and were covering the cost of shipping as well.

I feel that is above and beyond what was necessary, and just wanted to let anyone here know that has been considering buying some of their products that they stand behind their stuff and sure did right by me.

That sounds like a good company and it is good to hear as I just bought a Sig 522 and ordered 5 of their 10 round mags ( Ca.) as well as 2 of what they call large cap mag rebuild kits (the only legal way to have them in Ca.) in case I move back home. Good luck with your new mag that is on the way and let everyone here know what you think of it.

I've seen pictures of the Sig522 and liked the way they look. I wondered if they were "front heavy" like their big brother counterparts.

Seems like numerous rifle types now have a 22 version now. The MP5, AR, Sig, AK, etc.

As far as the BDMags go, I have had that particular one since middle/late '07 I guess. It's one of the 1st generations that didn't hold the bolt open, held 27 rounds, and until the other day, has given me thousands of trouble free rounds through the AR I built. It must've developed a hairline crack that I missed because it only had about 12 or 13 rounds in it when it failed as I was loading it with my thumb and I was rather surprised when I looked down and saw it like that.

blackdogmagfailure006.jpg

blackdogmagfailure007.jpg

I emailed them pictures and by the next evening, they told me there was no need to mail that one back to them and they were sorry that it broke and were going to send me one of the new Xform magazines to replace it with.

In the meantime, I have put some epoxy on the crack/break so I still have a (temporary) usable magazine until the replacement gets here next week so I don't have any down time. I don't know for how long it will hold up like that, but I am going to limit it to about 15 or 20 rounds so I don't over-stress the crack.

Yeah, I was going to ask you if you were going to try to repair it. Maybe "V" out the area and epoxy it back togeather. The Sig 522 is not front heavy but I only held it for a few minutes. It comes with iron sites that have to be installed, but I may just get a scope as my eyes are getting on the old side. lol

Wasn't really a need to V out the area with the way it was cracked.

I simply mixed some epoxy and rolled a toothpick around in it to pick some of it up and held it like I did in the picture to get some glue between the crack, and on the inside and outside of the magazine.

I also put a small seam of epoxy on the rear of the feedlips that will prevent the top of it from seperating again when there is pressure from a loaded mag, and perhaps the bolt itself while cycling..

Of course, with that seam the way it is, won't allow the mag body to be taken apart any longer without cutting the glue in the seam, but I can still remove the spring and follower from the bottom and clean the mag after shooting anyway.

It doesn't look "good as new", and certainly not professional, but I think it'll hold up for a while longer before turning into spare parts.

blackdogmagepoxyrepair006.jpg

Glad to hear that Black Dog stands by their products...!!

...and good use of Yankee Ingenuity there John ! ;)

John A. said:
I just wanted to give a shameless shout out and plug for Black Dog Magazines. They make the popular plastic magazines for use in the 22LR conversion mags that can be used in 5.56/223 uppers as well as drums and things for 10/22's, etc.

I got one of the JA Ceiner conversions several years ago that I have used in the dedicated/suppressed 22LR upper I built and bought one of the black dog magazines when they first came out. . . .
Since this post is in the MMR section, is it safe for me to presume the Ciener conversion kit (http://www.22lrconversions.com/) will work with the MMR?

I'm trying to find a MMR Tactical but may have to satisfy my itch with a MMR Hunter . . . .

Yes, the ciener bolt and black dog mag should work in the mossberg AR.

I will also say that if I were buying a new ciener bolt, I would try to find one in stock at somewhere besides cieners site. Brownells and midwayusa usually keep a few available.

And there are several copies of that design from various companies as well.

But JAC has a pretty bad reputation of bad customer service.

You can find a lot more about that on the web if you want to look. I'll just leave it at that.

Back